View Poll Results: What is your favorite current series/team of tactical rpg's?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yasumi Matsuno/Ivalice/Ogre team(s)

3 20.00%
  • Nippon Ichi Software team

5 33.33%
  • Front Mission team

0 0%
  • Fire Emblem team

5 33.33%
  • Other(Post which! Must have atleast 2 Usa released games!)

2 13.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your favorite current series/team of tactical rpg's?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Other - Shining Force, and although they released a large amount of games over the last few years that are all anything but SRPG's, I can only interpret it as building the hype before they release the next one.
    How could I forget about Shining Force? That game is pure awesome. I stilll need to be it though

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I don't mean to hijack the topic or anything, but is the Advance Wars series anygood? It looks pretty cute for a game with tanks and missles.

The spoon is too big! Firo Volondé's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omni Legacy View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the topic or anything, but is the Advance Wars series anygood? It looks pretty cute for a game with tanks and missles.
    As far as modern/futuristic tactical RPGs go, it's pretty good. They practically force tutorials down your throat in the main story, so the extremely intricate formula of who beats who can (eventually) be worked out without too much fuss. It's multiplayer mode is solid, if you happen to know other people with the game. And being on a portable system is always an advantage.
    This is a signature.

FFT thx guys

NIS and partially blame that on Rengori
    You must blame Adam Sessler, Morgan Webb, and Behold the Void for that.
    It is incredibly fun. For a while, after you get the hang of it and get through the campaign it starts to fade.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Advance Wars is solid but the Duel Strike feature in the DS version lends itself to a considerable amount of cheese.

I love Matsuno. I really, truly do. However, Nippon Ichi owns my freakin' soul. Period.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void View Post
    Advance Wars is solid but the Duel Strike feature in the DS version lends itself to a considerable amount of cheese.

I love Matsuno. I really, truly do. However, Nippon Ichi owns my freakin' soul. Period.
    I think I prefer Advance Wars to Fire Emblem myself (only just though), but never considered it for this thread for some reason. I like AW because I can be more reckless thanks to not usually having a finite number of units.

Edit: Having said that, both Fire Emblem and Advance Wars are made by Intelligent Systems anyway.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Rengori View Post
    NIS and partially blame that on Rengori
    You must blame Adam Sessler, Morgan Webb, and Behold the Void for that.
    I already blame Adam and Morgan for getting me into Atlus in the first place with the review of Digital Devil Saga 2. And they also got me to play Makai Kingdom in the first place. Wait a minuit, Atlus is involved with NIS and Makai Kingdom takes place in same Multiverse. That must mean:
    (SPOILER)Adam is 2-Pac wait, that doesn't right either

If you want a good short SRPG try Luminous Arc from Atlus, I'm like 15 hours in and I'm almost at the final boss. For an SRPG it's got a lot of character development and it's pretty fun too. The only real downside I can see is that you start to become so attached to the characters it becomes increasingly harder to choose only 8 characters for each battle.

I already blame Adam and Morgan for getting me into Atlus in the first place with the review of Digital Devil Saga 2. And they also got me to play Makai Kingdom in the first place. Wait a minuit, Atlus is involved with NIS and Makai Kingdom takes place in same Multiverse. That must mean:
    (SPOILER)Adam is 2-Pac wait, that doesn't right either
    Well I haven't blamed them for anything since their second G4 forced set change.

BTW: Makai Kingdom is awesome too. It took Phantom Brave's no grid system and fixed it.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Other - Shining Force, and although they released a large amount of games over the last few years that are all anything but SRPG's, I can only interpret it as building the hype before they release the next one.

But as far as currently active, the current Ivalice group at Square, although its never really been a set development team (alot of the lesser-known people from X worked on XII, RW is completely different, TA had alot of newcomers, and Sakimoto last I hear has no plans of doing anything with Square). I'm probably looking forward to TA2 more than any other, until Shining Force IV is announced.
    It was a set development team for the first four games: Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Vagrant Story. All four games have pretty much exactly the same people working on them. Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 came next but these last four games have slightly different teams, because the team has partially fragmented, and now Yasumi Matsuno, the leader has left. Motomu Toriyama, the main FF director now(X, X-2, XIII) is directing FF XII: RW. I don't remember who's directing FF T A2, maybe he'll be the new leader now.

I'm excite~!
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsoul View Post

But as far as currently active, the current Ivalice group at Square, although its never really been a set development team (alot of the lesser-known people from X worked on XII, RW is completely different, TA had alot of newcomers, and Sakimoto last I hear has no plans of doing anything with Square). I'm probably looking forward to TA2 more than any other, until Shining Force IV is announced.
    It was a set development team for the first four games: Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Vagrant Story. All four games have pretty much exactly the same people working on them. Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 came next but these last four games have slightly different teams, because the team has partially fragmented, and now Yasumi Matsuno, the leader has left. Motomu Toriyama, the main FF director now(X, X-2, XIII) is directing FF XII: RW. I don't remember who's directing FF T A2, maybe he'll be the new leader now.

I'm excite~!
    FFT is kinda different because although the ogre battle team was there on it, it was Hiroyuki Itou who designed the actual game. He's been one of the most instrumental members of the FF developers.

The primary scenario writer for XII is a protege (i guess you could call) of Kazushige Nojima, working with him on Final Fantasy X, X-2 and Kingdom Hearts series.

Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Rengori View Post
    If you want a good short SRPG try Luminous Arc from Atlus, I'm like 15 hours in and I'm almost at the final boss. For an SRPG it's got a lot of character development and it's pretty fun too. The only real downside I can see is that you start to become so attached to the characters it becomes increasingly harder to choose only 8 characters for each battle.
    I'm so glad to read this. I just picked up this game and am looking forward to starting it after my test this week!

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9