Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's this? No Halo 3 thread?

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Legendary in Halo 3 is an absolute bitch. There's not much that's really given me a hard time except large packs of brutes. About half way through the second level, when you step into the long hallway with about eight or nine brutes... it's murder. I don't even want to think about the Flood.
    The ones with the Gravity Hammers?
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Legendary in Halo 3 is an absolute bitch. There's not much that's really given me a hard time except large packs of brutes. About half way through the second level, when you step into the long hallway with about eight or nine brutes... it's murder. I don't even want to think about the Flood.
    God, I hated that room. I was only able to pass it when a rare lapse in AI trapped that Hammer Brute in a corner, meaning he couldn't rush me.

The absolute worst part of the game, though, is the bit on Tsavo Highway when you're trapped in a bunker-like structure being attacked by Brutes with Fuel Rod Cannons, Jetpack Brutes and a Wraith. I still haven't been able to beat that section going solo, and even with a friend it was a huge pain to get through.

I'd say Legendary's about as hard in this game as it was in Halo 2. Jackal snipers aren't quite as ridiculous, but the new flood types make the last couple of levels tougher than any of the flood sections in H2. Of course, the return to the first game's respawning system in co-op makes playing with a friend much easier, but I'd like to think that turning on a few skulls could make the game tough even for three or four players.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Four player co-op on Legendary was easier than I expected, even with some skulls on. We didn't use the really hard ones like Iron that make you all restart at a checkpoint when one person dies, but we did use Fog to remove radar, Famine to make ammo drops extremely limited, and Thunderstorm to "rank up" all the enemies in the game. Which made grunts worth as many points as brutes were, originally. :P Crazy, but awesome. I can't wait to try some of the other more challenging ones to rack up crazy points.

I'd probably have a lot more trouble playing Legendary by myself....not sure I ever even attempted it with the last two. I was too wrapped up in H2's multiplayer. But after knowing how fun it is with more people, one person would just seem stale. Of course, once you've already finished the game. The narrative is more than enough for a solo play through the first time.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

That part wasn't that hard. Use a gravity lift(in the center near the truck) and go up a level. There are side areas for you to hide in and the brutes are too stupid to go in after you. The hammer guy comes in but he doesn't charge. Their must be some sort of AI glitch that makes them suck at going into those side rooms. There is also plenty of ammo in those rooms

I am not bombing around in the wart hog on the next level. So far so easy XD

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    Their must be some sort of AI glitch that makes them suck at going into those side rooms.
    I don't think that's a glitch, that's pretty smart :P If they knew you had a shotgun pointed at the door waiting for them to go through, they don't go through. The hammer dude is the one who can survive multiple shotgun shots, so he's more likely to attack you. Depending on the difficulty, they'll even throw grenades in there, and if they see you just 'standing at the door' with a shotgun on one end, they will go around to the other door and come up behind you.

Game's pretty crazy, has some more easter eggs. I did see the one about knowing a password :P He actually says something different on Easy, Normal and Heroic difficulties, and I think it's actually the Red vs Blue guys. I haven't tried on legendary yet, but I'm sure he says something else. Also, on the final part of the game, there's a little path behind some rocks (where panels don't fall) and there's a grunt just standing there, mouthing off at you. Pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    Their must be some sort of AI glitch that makes them suck at going into those side rooms.
    I don't think that's a glitch, that's pretty smart :P If they knew you had a shotgun pointed at the door waiting for them to go through, they don't go through. The hammer dude is the one who can survive multiple shotgun shots, so he's more likely to attack you. Depending on the difficulty, they'll even throw grenades in there, and if they see you just 'standing at the door' with a shotgun on one end, they will go around to the other door and come up behind you.
    Dude...it was on legendary. They didn't try to flank me until the hammer guy was the last one left...but then that sort of thing doesn't really work. He came into the room....stood there. I threw a frag grenade at his feet. He stood there. It exploded and yet he still stood there until I shot him enough for him to activate his bull invincibility thing. Then he left the room and went to the other side where I wait for it to wear off...then I did the same thing until he died.

No...brute AI is just pretty bad in this game. I can't recall the number if times I have killed a brute simply because they were too stupid to move when I am shooting them in the head XD

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I think they do a better job than AI in most games by actually using bubble shields and whatnot to protect themselves, but they're definitely not brilliant. If you get the skulls and turn on the one that makes them dodge all of your grenades, it's a bit better--as it is, it seems like sometimes the game is programmed to let you get off a grenade kill because it would be too frustrating to have your grenades be worthless.

There's some great dialogue with the IWHBYD skull. Yesterday Guilty Spark told me that "Perhaps I should play on easy mode."

After playing this I think that the Elites in Halo 1 had much better AI.

Not saying that the AI in this game is horrible but they are not very aggressive or smart. Not being smart I can see as they are big and thus maybe dumb but they are not aggressive enough to make up for it XP

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Ed, if you want more intelligent/formidable/aggressive enemies, obtain and activate the following: Mythic Skull, Tilt Skull, Tough Luck Skull, and Thunderstorm Skull.

That'll double their HP, boost their resistance, guarantee saving throws, and increase all enemies' rank if possible.

Incidentally, activating the Catch Skull and the Cowbell Skull at the same time makes for lots and lots of fun.

Ed, if you want more intelligent/formidable/aggressive enemies, obtain and activate the following: Mythic Skull, Tilt Skull, Tough Luck Skull, and Thunderstorm Skull.

That'll double their HP, boost their resistance, guarantee saving throws, and increase all enemies' rank if possible.

Incidentally, activating the Catch Skull and the Cowbell Skull at the same time makes for lots and lots of fun.
    I can't be bothered to go around and get the skulls...well...I can but that is for achievements XD Those don't sound like they make the enemies more intelligent though. Maybe rank does but what is 'rank' O_o

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

I can't be bothered to go around and get the skulls...well...I can but that is for achievements XD Those don't sound like they make the enemies more intelligent though. Maybe rank does but what is 'rank' O_o
    Military rank. I believe it means some of the other Covenant aside from Brutes will start taking charge and leading others. I've yet to use any of the skulls to boosts points in the meta-game.

I thought the Thunderstorm skull upgraded enemies ranks. So regular brutes become blue armoured brutes, standard grunts become black grunts etc. It mostly makes the brutes tougher, but on the higher difficulties that make for quite a jump in difficulty. It probably won't make them any smarter, though.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Yeah...more bullets to kill a target that stands still is not what I am looking for XD I have done that to all brutes and they are all idiots XD

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Ed, about the method you suggested for that room full of brutes on Crow's Nest... Apparently I'm not as lucky as you, 'cause not only to the brutes enter the side rooms, but the enter the side rooms from the front and the rear entrances. D=

You might have already seen this, but it's great, regardless.