View Poll Results: Do You Think The Overall Voice Acting Is Good?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 68.75%
  • No

7 21.88%
  • I Don't Know

3 9.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Voice Acting?

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by PuPu View Post
    The only voice acting I found to be horrible was Vayne/The Undying in the final battle. The Japanese voice acting for it was much better than the English.
    I have to disagree. The Undying's Voice-Acting in the Japanese version was horrid, judging from what I've seen on Youtube. Over-the top and way too loud and well... stupid. =/

At least the english Undying sounded... well, Final Battle-ish. His cries had a bit of an 'echo' effect to them, which improved the atmosphere incredibly much. The voice blended well into the background with the music, while the Japanese voice-acting was disturbing during the battle, distracting from the overal feeling that battles gives one. I found that the english Undying really made it clear that Vayne was desperate during that fight, in a way, and in the other way making it clear that he had lost his humanity. The Japanese, dunno. Seemed like the transformation hadn't effected Vayne at all. Which, with more than a few pounds of scrap strapped on his body, seemed quite unlikely. ^^"

Sorry to disagree, but I have to disagree. Just my opinion, though. I always found Japanese hard to listen to, but the Undying in Japanese topped everything for me. =/

I hope that one day we'll be able to play a FF title with a Japanese/English option...

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

too many foreign accents, which I guess is the point of the game, but it just got old after a while

Quote Originally Posted by Sagensyg View Post
    The heavy breathing also disturbed me, especially at the end of the Pharos with the Sun Cryst. All extraneous and unecessary, but I did like The Judges and Fran. And I have to agree, The Undying was better in Japanese.
    So is it only me and Sagensyq who noticed the strange breathing then? lol

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    One of the biggest flaws with video game voice acting is that there's an overwhelming tendency to talk really slow, i guess so the player can read all the text (i finish reading before it ends). FFX unfortunately fell into this trap, although I felt it was still pretty good in that game.
    I think the more likely culprit for this is, actually, that many times these days developers put no effort into changing the lip syncing, leaving the voice actors to try and match what they say as best they can to the existing lip syncing so it looks a little more natural. I can't remember for the life of me if the lip syncing was changed to match the English script or not, but I would say this likely wasn't an issue this time around, whether because the lip syncing was changed, or because the localized version fit well with the original lip syncing. Not that your explanation of letting people read the text isn't valid or anything, just I've seen a lot of games that don't give you much time to read some of the text, while other parts drag on.

I thought it was seriously poor, tbh i prefered Final Fantasy X voice actors, and thats saying something!!

Sig created by the Genius that is Polaris

Quote Originally Posted by $howBiz View Post
    The heavy breathing also disturbed me, especially at the end of the Pharos with the Sun Cryst. All extraneous and unecessary, but I did like The Judges and Fran. And I have to agree, The Undying was better in Japanese.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PuPu View Post
    The only voice acting I found to be horrible was Vayne/The Undying in the final battle. The Japanese voice acting for it was much better than the English.
    I have to disagree. The Undying's Voice-Acting in the Japanese version was horrid, judging from what I've seen on Youtube. Over-the top and way too loud and well... stupid. =/

At least the english Undying sounded... well, Final Battle-ish. His cries had a bit of an 'echo' effect to them, which improved the atmosphere incredibly much. The voice blended well into the background with the music, while the Japanese voice-acting was disturbing during the battle, distracting from the overal feeling that battles gives one. I found that the english Undying really made it clear that Vayne was desperate during that fight, in a way, and in the other way making it clear that he had lost his humanity. The Japanese, dunno. Seemed like the transformation hadn't effected Vayne at all. Which, with more than a few pounds of scrap strapped on his body, seemed quite unlikely. ^^"

Sorry to disagree, but I have to disagree. Just my opinion, though. I always found Japanese hard to listen to, but the Undying in Japanese topped everything for me. =/
    i haven't seen the japanese scene, but those are my thoughts exactly on the english one.

I don't know, you hear some weird things on FF Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by $howBiz View Post
    aaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

Hahaha, all those heavy breathing haters owned <3

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

Personally, I found nothing wrong with the voice acting. Perhaps some of the dialogue could have been improved upon, but that is the writer's fault, not the voice actors.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Setzer Gabianni View Post
    I thought the voices were fantastic, most anyway, a much better improvement then X and X-2. Pennelos did sound a bit muffled, and Balthiers did irritate me, but Frans was mysterious, Basch very..well, manly..8D? Reddas sounded really good, the judges, they were the best. Ghis sounded sly, Bergan like a true villainous sob. More characters had great voices.
    QFT!!!
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I personally loved the voice acting in XII and must say it's easily their best effort so far. Of course this is coming from somebody who suffered through the horrible English voice acting of Xenogears (Bart sounds like a girly man trying to play act a biker... while Emereldas sounds like the retarded Rei Clone that escaped from the cloning tank.) It left scars I tell you!

I even liked FFX voice acting for the most part except for Yuna's voice who makes the mistake of playing too close to her Japanese counterpart without relaizing the subtle nuances that allow the Japanese version to work.

As Bolivar said, it's the little details that make XII's voice acting excel. The use of different dialects for different regions and so forth really added alot of depth to the game. I heard the Japanese version is similair to this which is another thing that amazes me to see that the localization team put the extra effort into making the game just as good as the original. Only the MGS team puts in that kind of effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Personally, I found nothing wrong with the voice acting. Perhaps some of the dialogue could have been improved upon, but that is the writer's fault, not the voice actors.
    you know what i never thought about that :O! your right maybe if the dialogue was better i wouldn't be criticizing the actual voices :O maybe i'm criticizing the wrong people lol well now thats opened my eyes, i think that the script writers could of done a better job as well lol

I liked the style of the script. Far superior to the usual IMO.

Unfortunately it lacked some substance, in terms of length.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky