View Poll Results: Which film do you like better?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batman Begins

29 90.63%
  • Superman Returns

3 9.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batman Begins vs. Superman Returns

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's so many holes in your counter-argument, it's like a piece of slutty swiss cheese.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 10-09-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If by full of holes you mean logical and well thought out then yes. The only thing that's questionable is that that short exposure to the sun would be enough to recharge him, but like I said, I've seen them pull a lot worse in the comics.

You've also got to keep in mind that kryptonite in that movie isn't an instant win (heck, it's rarely an instant win in the comics. It just depends on the writer). It doesn't immediately take away his powers and acts in a more gradual manner on him, depending on how much he's around. It's unlikely that small sliver in his side would have been enough to stop him from lifting the island after his quick recharge. The island itself would have done more, but he wasn't really exposed to much of it's radiation until it was well on it's way. The largest amount of effort would have been in initially lifting it anyway. As it got farther from the earth it would have gotten easier to move, and not required as much effort on his part, so he could have kept it's momentum going even when significantly weakened. Keep in mind the Superman of this movie is based on the silver age Superman; someone who could lift 6 quintillion tons and easily fly to other galaxies. Given that, I find the movie incarnation to be refreshingly underpowered if anything.

What the hell am I the only one who voted for super man returns?

Quote Originally Posted by Vikeve View Post
    What the hell am I the only one who voted for Superman Returns?
    Yes because you're the only one who prefers that film over Batman Begins.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't even seen Superman, but Batman is awesome. Always been my favorite superhero anyway.

If it wasn't for a few cool scenes with wicked special effects it I'd hardly call Superman Returns a movie. Superman is already a lame superhero and this movie made him even lamer.

Batman Begins is a great film. I've gotten people who hate Batman to wach it and love it. The ensemble cast alone puts it over Superman Returns alone. Liam Neeson, Ken Wantanabe, Christian Bale, Tom Wilkinson, Cillian Murphy, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and, sadly, Katie Holmes but 8 of nine ain't bad.

DArk Knight is out soon and after adding talents like Aaron Eckhart and Heath Ledger and Maggie Gylenhaal my expectations are only higher.

Well, both movies are quite good, but I'd say that I'd choose Batman Begins out of the two.

Superman Returns is a nice way of trying to bring him back to the screen. I thought the story was thought out well, and the actors did great most of the time. I didn't mind the focus on drama rather than action, because the story required it, and in the end it worked relatively well, although I wouldn't have minded seeing more action. One thing in Superman Returns was definitely better than in Batman Begins, though: the score. I liked the way how John Ottman used John Williams's classic score as a template and managed to stay faithful to it while adding his own themes and style into the mix, and he created a great score in the process.

Batman Begins had a good cast as well (Katie Holmes was the lone exception, although I didn't luckily cringe during her scenes), and I really liked the way how most of the time the movie concentrated on the drama instead of action, and it was fine as an origin story. The story worked well, tying many plots together in the end, and the cinematography really worked in the movie's favour. The hasty editing of the action sequences was a bit unfortunate, although I can understand it from a filmmaker's point of view: I just would've hoped that at least the final battle would've had longer shots instead of having that claustrophobic feel.

The score of BB sucked most of the time, unfortunately. Batman's pre-theme (or whatever you want to call it) was lame an uninspired, and the action material was pretty much standard Zimmer stuff except for the occasional touching subtheme that definitely had James Newton-Howard's musical signature in them. True, the music works for the most part in the film, even in action sequences, but if you compare it to, say, the first Batman film's score by Danny Elfman, it's a far cry from Elfman's masterpiece. I hope that the sequel's score will be more inspired, but we'll see how things go.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I've watched superman films. SR is not too too different, and so I voted BB. Plus Batman is a far more complex character and thus is more engaging.

In terms of Superman, my biggest grip with him is that he's essentially near omnipotent in the comics. In the movies, is he a weakened copy of his normal self? He had problems stopping a plane from crashing (he had to strain himself), and then later he throws a much larger (mass-wise) object into outer space with non-congruent effort. So is Superman weaker or stronger than he needs to be depending on what the narrative needs? I'm confused.

Batman is incapable of letter the writers mess with narration in such a fashion, so I prefer him. Also, and off topic, Batman has defeated Superman several times in the comic, even though I disagree with the hows.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

While I thought Superman Returns was a pretty good movie, I prefer the movie Batman Begins. BB had a great cast of actors, and the dark storyline was well done. SR had interesting and likable characters, and the movie was fun to watch, but I don't think it had anything overly spectacular.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pureghetto View Post
    He had problems stopping a plane from crashing (he had to strain himself), and then later he throws a much larger (mass-wise) object into outer space with non-congruent effort. So is Superman weaker or stronger than he needs to be depending on what the narrative needs? I'm confused.
    He didn't struggle to stop the plane because it was heavy. He struggled with it because he had to slow it down without shattering the fuselage and killing everyone on board. Despite his power, he can't just defy what the laws of physics say will happen if he tries to stop the plane instantly with his bare hands.