Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vaan; The Main Character?

I agree with Balthier being the main character,sometimes even more so than Ashe.
    Although the struggle for Dalmasca is always apparent,theres always the big thing about the manufactured nethicite which would be all about Balthier.
    And like it was mentioned before,he plays the hero way more than the other characters.
    However,when I played the game I took the "no main character" stance because it just felt better making them ALL the main character rather than just picking favorites and sticking with them constantly.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Factually: Vaan is the main character no opinion can change that unfortunately.

Storyline Wise: Ashe is the main focus and could therefore be regarded as the main character...

I think that's interesting, because both characters are on either end of the spectrum, with the others kind of imbetween...
    jkhkjg

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't have a problem with no main character? I thought it was very refreshing.
    I think having no main character (although refreshing indeed) ultimately it hurts the story.A story always needs a main character/protagonist as it also needs an antagonist.
    If a story doesn't have one,it becomes a documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    I think having no main character (although refreshing indeed) ultimately it hurts the story.A story always needs a main character/protagonist as it also needs an antagonist.
    If a story doesn't have one,it becomes a documentary.
    what

"If a story doesn't have a main character it becomes a documentary".
    Well,documentary maybe isn't the right word (documentaries are based in real life) but i just tried to say that it becomes just a documentation of a series of events and not a story.

its an ensemble piece.
    Ashe and Basch are fighting for Dalmasca,
    Balthier is fighting to put back the wrongs of his father and clear his guilt so he can be truly free.
    Now the other 3.
    Vaan and Penelo are trying to find there way in live, towards becoming pirates and are generally good souls helping out some people who have become there friends.
    And as for Fran well it seems like she has found the place where she belongs finally and is happy to help Balthier, and lend her knowledge to the others.
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think that in terms of knowledge about the wider world of Ivalice, the player and Vaan start off in around the same point. By that I mean they're both fairly ignorant about the wider world and the politics, magic and people and so on. I think in that respect there's a learning curve for both us and for Vaan. While I was playing, I did consider him the main character but never felt he was entirely crucial to the storyline. I felt that he had the most interaction with other characters throughout the game (other than Asch). It's a fairly weak argument to call him the main character, I suppose, but he did feel that way. I don't think he really is though, just seems it.

Actually, Balthier is the leading man. He was even kind enough to tell us.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I think that in terms of knowledge about the wider world of Ivalice, the player and Vaan start off in around the same point. By that I mean they're both fairly ignorant about the wider world and the politics, magic and people and so on. I think in that respect there's a learning curve for both us and for Vaan.

I agree with this, it was the same idea with Tidus because he was unaware of what Spira was all about.

If Vaan wasn't the main character then he'd be unneccesary basically.
    jkhkjg

I don't think that at all, Vaan was living in the capitol of Dalmasca and was the unofficial leader of the cityrats. Yet, you get introduced to that city and without the slightest idea where you are and who is who. Vaan should have been a guy that knows something about everything.

I wouldn't have had a problem with it if there was no main character. But in the game you are Vaan, in cities you only see Vaan walking and people talk to you in the assumpion that you are Vaan. Example: The resistence Hide-Out, you go up to the guy with Basch, Asche, Balthier and Vossler in your party and he wont let you in because you would only get in the way.