Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaan; The Main Character?

Default Vaan; The Main Character?

(SPOILERS!! Don't read until you have completed the game)

Ok I personally thought he wasn't the main character. i thought that Ashe was more the main character and Penelo and Vaan didn't get enough coverage and just appeared to be tag-along's. There wasn't anytime where Vaan did something really heroic, (Like save Penelo or Ashe or something) he just seemed to be one of those hero's who just didn't get the chance to show his heroism (I think there should have at least been a bit where Vaan fights Vayne alone but meh) The only thing i thought showed him as the main character was that he is the character you have to control in towns.

Anyway topic;

Do you think Vaan was the "main" character? (Yes i know he was but do you think he was treated like a main character?)
    Last edited by $howBiz; 09-25-2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Cuz of the rules lol

its more of a team effort. While Vaan is the charater you play as he is not the main character. really hes just helping and witness to the events in the game.
    Ashe has her job to do and restore Dalmasca,
    Basch has his issues with Gabranth to solve and hes redeeming himself by protecting Ashe.
    Balthier is stopping Dr.Cid, he feels its up to him as its his father causing some of the problems, he wants to deal with the problems instead of running away so that he can truly be free and won't just be running away from his past. in the end he has sorted out the wrongs Cid created with nethicite and can happily return to the skies.
    Fran, helping Balthier as he is her partner, also wise and they probably wouldn't have got anywhere without her.
    Vaan and Penelo, lost and lonely looking for a path in life and help and witness what happens
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

At the same time, yes and no. You can't say he isn't. The story is all about him wanting him to do something about all that's happened and eventually doing it. But the supporting cast all have that as well, I think this game is just a good example of having meaningful support characters as well as a main one.

The sad thing is, Square have said 10,000 times that Vaan is NOT the Main character, and it's annoying and repetitive when people say he is, or even assume it.

Anyway, I would say Ashe is most deserving of the main protagonist title, cause it's basically revolved around her story, and how she must overcome difficulties, also, if you ask me, Ashe went through the most character development. Why? Cause I feel she was close minded to the people of Dalmasca, and didn't realize their struggle, but was only concerned with reclaiming the throne for herself. Later on, she realizes that her friends were a mixture of commoners, and prestigious figures, who risked their lives countless times to protect her and restore her to the head of the throne. She probably sensed the moral of her journey at that point, and it was to serve Dalmasca as a queen, sympathize with the people, and not only focus on her self-needs.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

No, you're quite right in thinking that he's not really the main character. It just appears that way to most people due to lazy game design.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Vaan is probably the least loved Character in FFXII. Don't get me wrong I don't like him or hate him, I just think he should derserve some resepct, who else has saved the world when your a teenager?

Well he is in my reserve party as FVB (Fran, Vaan basch are reserves) but he is quite good, im hoping to lvl team FVB to 30 like my main party, Team BAP (balthier, Ashe, Penelo are main) so then I can give them all loads of deathbringer!

(Alright about 3/4 of the FF population are Teenagers but hell, who cares?)

This reminds of me all the threads asking if Terra is the main character of VI that are still being made even today.

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    No, you're quite right in thinking that he's not really the main character. It just appears that way to most people due to lazy game design.
    i think it was made that way on purpose to show a point that its not always about one person. but then again they need someone to be the one in towns and since vaan is the first you meet he gets the role of the one who walks around towns.

as for whether or not he was the main character id say balthier was more the main character then vaan. he lead the group everywhere and after all he was the "leading man". he knew more about everything then everyone else. also in the end he was more the hero then anyone else.

and vaan did have a heroic scene or 2. when he caught ashe off the ledge. and if i remember correctly he did pick up gabranths sword and ram him.
    lynx
    beaten final fantasy III,IV,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,XII,mystic quest, tacitcs, tactics advanced, crystal chronicles.

you only live once but if you do it right once is enough

my FF amvs

I took Vaan's story to be sort of an origin story for a later more interesting hero. I'm sure in Balthier's first adventures (if this is revealed in Revanant Wings don't tell me) Fran or some other sky pirate was a far more intersting character. That may just be wishful thinking for sequals on my part.

The role Vaan and Penelo are playing is similar to the role Fry plays in Futurama. They are unfamiliar with the larger world so they provide a natural outlet for explinations actualy meant for the audience. A lot of the explainations on sky ships, mist or espers are explained in dialouge, often with either Vaan or Penelo.

I think maybe there wasn't supposed to be a central character. FFXII felt like an ensamble comic or show to me. Each character is interesting in of themselves but it's their interactions that make them the story move and keep you pushing to the next cut scene.
    I am employee #1135: master of paperwork.

ya know how theres 4 charecters in ff1 but none of them are exactly THE main charecter?ff12 is the same way.in ff1,you walk around with the 1rst person in your party,well in ff12 its the same way.they all contrbute to the story but none of them take the leading role
    (SPOILER)waha made you highlight

i don't think vaan's the main char coz he simply sucks compared t othe cool balthier. balthier should be main char but i agree with remnant1.
    I NEED SIG. I NEED SIG.
    CAN ANYONE GIVE ME? I'LLGIVE ALL MY LOVIN' TO THEE IF YOU GIVE ME. SIG. PLS??????
    :mog: :mog:

(SPOILER)PEE KA BOO!

The answer is quite simple. There are no main character in 12. Not in 1-3,5, 6 and 11 too. All the playstation games + 10 have main though.

Am I the only one who didn't have a problem with no main character? I thought it was very refreshing.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I liked it too. It reminded me of the things I liked about Firefly, where the audience got to explore each character and really get to know both them and the group as a whole as opposed to just one or two characters.

I'm playing through FFX right now for the first time and there's a marked difference in that the story seems to focus entirely on Tidus and Yuna. While I'm enjoying these two I keep wanting to get back to Lulu and whatever her apparent issues are.

I'm hoping any future games will provide more character development with Vaan and Penelo and interactions between Fran and anyone besides Balthier.
    I am employee #1135: master of paperwork.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ashe is to Terra as Vaan is to Locke as Balthier is to Shadow as Penelo is to Relm?????????????????