Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Radiohead album!

This record is causing quite a stir in the music industry. Not because of what's on the album, but because fans are able to decide how much they wanna pay for it. It's a great way of marketing the album, really.

By the way, I just read today that other artists want to do the same thing; Nine Inch Nails, Jamiroquai, Oasis and maybe even Madonna has dropped her record label to concentrate more on the digital part of the industry.. meh

Anyway, topic: I don't really know any of Radiohead's music, but I've heard they're good.. so, I've actually thought about buying one of their records one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    Anyway, topic: I don't really know any of Radiohead's music, but I've heard they're good.. so, I've actually thought about buying one of their records one day.
    Getting into Radiohead can be somewhat difficult, suggesting which CD is the best introduction is near-impossible. Each of their CD's are so drastically different that it is hard to exactly gauge which one a person should listen to first. Ok Computer is, generally, considered their best and most famous record. I consider it to be decent and okay, but I prefer The Bends and Kid A over it. Amnesiac is basically a giant Kid A 2 and is definitely good in its own right (it was my introduction to Radiohead and did its job very well). Pablo Honey(first record) and Hail to the Thief are probably the most similiar records (Aside from Amnesiac and Kid A) because they are more geared towards the general audience, with the latter being a more jazzy/alternative rock feel. Honestly, I'd just try and pick up a few songs here and there and decide which era of Radiohead you like and then go from there.

As far as the new record is considered, I think the idea behind it is absolutely brilliant and I plan on getting it for free (paying absolutely nothing) and then seeing how exactly I like it. Based on the record, I will probably buy the package that is being released later. I have yet to download it because the site was hit hard yesterday, as expected. Took about five minutes to load each page.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Each song is fantastic on its own. My only disappointments come from me being weird. For one, it doesn't seem like an album as much as a bunch of songs... yeah, shut up, I know. It's probably because I downloaded that Live in NY bootleg back a while ago and basically looped all of the new tracks. Seriously, that spoiled it for me so hard, I was pretty depressed when I realized I already knew half the tracks

But that album/songs thing is probably me comparing it to the albums I've listened to over and over and over and over again for years now, so it's all moot. Really these gripes are just making me want to listen to it more, so it's not like they're all bad. 11/10 stars!!

Everything about the album is brilliant. Radiohead have totally reinvented themselves yet again. It's awesome that they can keep producing music that doesn't sound anything like anything else. I'm so pleased with it.
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Bunny gives a good summary of Radiohead's discopgraphy in their post. I would say that it's easiest to work chronologically with Radiohead. You can see then the jumps they made from Pablo Honey to The Bends to OK Computer to Kid A/Amnesiac. And have a listen to their live album (I Might Be Wrong) too if you listen to Kid A and Amnesiac.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Their older music is more rock sounding, with sounds that remind you of pink floyd (the wall, dark side of the moon), and I think I mostly prefer that sound ("The Bends").

After that they got a real soft (and dark) kinda synthy style (that stu loves ) ("OK Computer").

In Rainbows seems to be pretty varied, but I've only listened to it once, so I dunno.

(I am not radiohead expert, this is just my observations, Hsu can tell you much more xD)

The tracks have hit me

And "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" is the most amazing thing ever
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

I just got this album (listening to it for the first time now, it's nearly finished). It is extremely awesome! My favourites are still The Bends and OK-Computer, but this is absolutely awesome.

Definitely worth a buy.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's awesome to hear these songs in studio versions. I had already heard half of them live, and have the live mp3s. I've been wondering for a while what album would come out of them. Very pleased.