the bible

owait..

dark elf books.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Damnit, in after LotR

Never been a fan of Dickens. He has some fantastic passages, but overall, I've never felt his stuff to add up to anything special.
    QFT! David Copperfield had nothing to do with the magician.

Seriously though, Great Expectations was not all the great.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Great Gatsby.

Harry Potter series. That being said, I do read them and I wouldn't say I hate them, because they're kinda interesting and worth reading like once or twice. But on the whole I just get the "I-wanna-punch-Joanna-Kathleen-Rowling-in-the-smurfing-face" vibe from them. They're so completely overrated it's not funny; it's sick. It's actually yuck. What makes it yuck is that you have a generation of people comparing it to stuff like LoTR and all. Which is blasphemous.

And "Memoirs of a Geisha". That book was torture. I'll be smurfed if it went anywhere and meant anything at the end of four hundred and twenty-eight pages. It was pretentious, and it tried so hard to be "deep", it was actually laughable.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Add Me to Your Mana Pool 41-Inches-Wide's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've never been a big fan of bestseller books... But I read Da Vinci code and ugh! It was crappy and such a big know-it-all-book... Such a know-it-all-author...
    I read da Vinci code as supplementary reading to holy blood holy grail, last temptation, dead sea scrolls bbl,and templar revelations. Not that these are like the greatest books ever, but the author made this know-it-all character who spouts data, quotes directly from other books and as if he discovered it all on his own.

Gahh.

Happy Birthday to Me

The Lord of the Rings -- I appreciate what it did for fantasy literature, and I respect it for what it is. The movies did a fantastic job of cutting out the crap and making it ten times more exciting than the books ever managed to be. Now that we have those, the books can just disappear already, as far as I'm concerned. Its work here is done now.

Harry Potter -- Riddikulus is right.

Also, Terry Goodkind and his stupid Sword of Truth. The first two books were AWESOME. Why he had to destroy the series by going on and on about his philosophies is one of the greatest tragedies to befall fantasy.

The Inheritance Trilogy -- AKA Eragon and it's spawn. If you ever want to read a badly written series that's full of clichés and written by a rich brat, then grab Eragon as soon as you possibly can.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I have heard people ranting about how utterly amazing the LOTR books were. I tried to read 'The Two Towers' after 'Fellowship' came out in the theaters. About 6-8 chapters (and these are long chapters) later, all I know was this:

- people are missing
    - Legolas gets all his arrows from scavenging dead corpses
    - nothing else

So I said nuts to this and put the book down. I've since found that the narrative is identically slow the entire book. Also they spend an entire chapter trying to find (SPOILER)the plant that can heal you if you get stabbed by the ringwraith lord that I can't remember the name of

Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pureghetto View Post
    I have heard people ranting about how utterly amazing the LOTR books were. I tried to read 'The Two Towers' after 'Fellowship' came out in the theaters. About 6-8 chapters (and these are long chapters) later, all I know was this:

- people are missing
    - Legolas gets all his arrows from scavenging dead corpses
    - nothing else

So I said nuts to this and put the book down. I've since found that the narrative is identically slow the entire book. Also they spend an entire chapter trying to find (SPOILER)the plant that can heal you if you get stabbed by the ringwraith lord that I can't remember the name of

Yawn.
    I read the LOTR books (minus Fellowship) and they were pretty boring. Then again, it was written 60 years ago. Long chapters? Those books were only around 400 pages each. Not very long at all. Read 'The Dark Tower' by Stephen King if you want a long book that is much, much better than anything else out there fantasy wise.

I can't believe I seen books like 'The Scarlet Letter' on here. Sure it was slow and druged on but to say it was a bad book is outrageous. It was written what, 200 years ago? Of course it's going to be slow. It was very well written and besides the few first chapters I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Harry Potter has to be the worst. I'll never read one of those books. EVER. I saw the first two movies and thought they were pretty retarded. 'but they are not like the books' I might be told but that doesn't matter. If I don't like the movies which are shells of the books why would I enjoy the books? Kids with wands and casting spells is not my idea of cool, deep or enjoyable. If I wanted to see spells being cast I'd play Final Fantasy.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Harry Potter is very overated: but I do love the books. The same goes for LoTR.

I didn't like the Inheritance trilogy. Jane Eyre ughhhhhhhh. I don't mind older literature (I liked Tess of D'Ubervilles, but I can't remember what happened) but this book I wanted to scream with boredom. For kids books, Artemis Fowl has a very pretentious feeling. I find it a bit sickening, actually. Jaqueline Wilson's stuff for girls is also a bit rubbish, but she's cited as one of the best children's authors out there. (Anne Fine is much better.)

I won't read Da Vinci Code on principle, because the whole aura surrounding it is trying to be intelligent and cutting edge but just comes off as cheesy, and apparently it's a complete rip off of another book whose name I cannot remember.

The Great Gatsby.

Also, books about Greek Gods and Buddhism.

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

Nothing, really. Except for maybe The Catcher in the Rye. Don't get me wrong, it's a very well-written book, but the plot drags and makes little sense at certain points.

This will invite much wrath, but I didn't really dig To Kill a Mockingbird that much. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, I just didn't lick it and cuddle with it at night like most people do. I get yelled at constantly for disliking it, and I've had people full out throw a tantrum and refuse to talk to me for days over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Scarlet Letter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    A Clockwork Orange
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Never been a fan of Dickens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Lord Sigma View Post
    The Catcher in the Rye.
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver View Post
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    I didn't read this thread at all before my first post, and I respect your opinions and all (not really) but you guyz are making me cry right now. :aimmeh:

Blog Entries

Probably the only book ive read and didnt like was catcher in the rye. But thats probably because i was forced to read it. (other wise i wouldnt have read it). I if wanted insight on the society or humanity or whatever these books are meant to teach us when we make up lies about "analyse" them in english i wouldve read a text book on psycology or a history book.

Othello wasnt that great either but thats not so much a book than a play so maybe it's meant to be seen and not read
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

I like Catcher in the Rye!!
    Arg...I do not like the Great Gatsby!! Dumb love triangles!
    Also I think Stephen King is very overrated!