• Ugh...

6 26.09%
  • *Poll Option Reserved For "The Man"*

1 4.35%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: *~The Official Thread of Hippie-Ness~*

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
    I've been referred to as a hippie based on my New Left tendencies and love for folk music, but I refuse to use that label on myself. I find that 'hippiedom' should only be viewed as a singular aspect of the counter-culture of the 1960's. Most people today view them as the same thing, and that's quite simply in error. The reign of 'hippiedom' seemed to reflect more of a denial of responsibility, and an excuse to abandon all prohibitions.

The true heroes of the 60's counter-culture were those who wanted social revolution, but pursued it intellectually and responsibly.
    kinda like beatniks?
    beat generation = rawr.

And me, nah. I mean, I'd gladly dump all responsibility and I do appreciate a spot of substance abuse now and then, but I see hippiedom as being a social revolution of sorts in that it broke barriers and caused social upset in the '60s. It's been done now, and there's nothing left to break -- at least not by being a hippie. Does that make sense? It makes sense to me in my mind in a twisted way x_x
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
    I've been referred to as a hippie based on my New Left tendencies and love for folk music, but I refuse to use that label on myself. I find that 'hippiedom' should only be viewed as a singular aspect of the counter-culture of the 1960's. Most people today view them as the same thing, and that's quite simply in error. The reign of 'hippiedom' seemed to reflect more of a denial of responsibility, and an excuse to abandon all prohibitions.

The true heroes of the 60's counter-culture were those who wanted social revolution, but pursued it intellectually and responsibly.
    kinda like beatniks?
    Kinda, but the Beat Generation was largely over by the beginning of the 60's. You had the same kind of beatnik communities at the beginning of the 60's, in Chicago and Greenwich Village. The real burgeoning of the hippie movement didn't come along until like '65 or '66. New Left is the best way to describe it. Authors even separate the 60's Counter-culture into the three parts of Hippiedom, New Left, and Civil Rights Movement. The people that really made a difference were the New Left. The hippies agreed with those in the New Left but didn't do anything about it.

Blog Entries

*dances around smoking herb with hippies*

my sister is really hippy

Remember: rolling stops, 5 MPH under the speed limit at all times, tailgate whenever possible.

[/QUOTE]
    It is, you're just in the wrong country![/QUOTE]

What country are you in???
    I like Yuna cause, yeah.

Thou shall not speak... Randgris's Avatar

I don't know any hippies. I don't really like them, they look, kinda 'blah' to me.

Quote Originally Posted by final fantasy is stinky View Post
    It is, you're just in the wrong country!
    What country are you in???
    The right one.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?