Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Music No Life? You Tell Me...

A Lyrical Storm Is Coming TyphoonThaReapa's Avatar

Default No Music No Life? You Tell Me...

A'yo, I just want to know what you guys think of this. We all know how much music means to us as humans. Music, no matter the form, is our communication. Our way of understanding each other. Our simplest way to briefly escape the harsh reality we exist in. This simple yet complicated phenomenon is what normally defines us as not only Humans, but as individuals. So, let's say this world did not have any form of music. Whether it be a simple rhythm or a song. And we had no means to identify music no matter how many enticing sounds play in our heads. How do you think that would impact the world and your life in general?
    A'yo son, TTR WAS HERE!!!
    (SPOILER)BITCHES

less culture.

Wow it wouldn't be good. When it comes to material things, I think music ranks pretty high for me. To put it in perspective, I think I'd rather be able to listen to music freely than be rich without music.

I'd die.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

not you naan bread Sergeant Hartman's Avatar

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I think aliens tried to take music away from the world in Elite Beat Agents... I think you should play that game to find out what happens.

Agents are Go!

It's hard to tell how much I would miss music if I had no concept of its existence, but I definitely wouldn't be as emotionally stimulated. Music gets a primal reaction from me that other mediums, like literature, really struggle to achieve. I can usually read a sad book and understand how miserable the characters are without feeling upset myself, but music really makes me feel something. A life without music wouldn't have that, so I'd probably find myself in an emotionally neutral state more of the time.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

"Music, no matter the form, is our communication."

I could not disagree more XD

I don't really care for music that much. It is nice as background to movies, videogames and stuff like that but I could live without it. Everyone complained about Xenosaga's lack of music but I really didn't notice until it was pointed out.

Music isn't a big deal to me.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Certain classical music are sublime. It is the closest thing to sublimity, if you disagree, but then again, we'd argue even more xD

'Pop music' and 'popular music' of the current generation, if it didn't exist would just provide less culture. However if we never had music, we'd be missing out on a lot of emotive expression.

Your question is interesting: if we removed all forms of music, would other categories of expression be removed? What about poetry that followed certain rhythm? Etc? We'd miss out on a lot. I'm not sure how much, as it's not causally traceable what effect music had on us, but such a though shouldn't be so quickly dismissed, in my opinion.

I just can't comprehend a world without music. If I'm myself for thirty seconds in complete silence, I'm frantically trying to put on any music to break it. After this, then I'll find what music to which I actually want to listen. If I'm talking with a friend in silence, this friend may hear me say, "it's way too quiet in here," as I break the conversation for a minute to put on music. I need music wherever I am at all times. I can't sleep without music. I can't live without music. What the hell would I ever do in a world with no music? That's too scary to even think about.

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post

I don't really care for music that much. It is nice as background to movies, videogames and stuff like that but I could live without it. Everyone complained about Xenosaga's lack of music but I really didn't notice until it was pointed out.

Well, that goes to show you that you don't understand how uneventful life would be without it. You see, music can be any form of sound. Living without music would be like living without sound. Now you tell me living without sound wouldn't be as important as I make it sound.:rolleyes2
    (SPOILER)BITCHES

Quote Originally Posted by TyphoonThaReapa View Post

Well, that goes to show you that you don't understand how uneventful life would be without it. You see, music can be any form of sound. Living without music would be like living without sound. Now you tell me living without sound wouldn't be as important as I make it sound.:rolleyes2
    I have been near def a few times...so i still disagree and could live with out it. Wouldn't be easy but it would be more than possible. Needed surgery to fix the hearing problems.

As for any sound=music is just a horrible argument. That is like saying any wave length is color. It is a bit more complicated and specific than that. There is a certain band of wave length that is color just as for sound to be musical it needs to be rhythmic on some level and people need to want to follow that rhythm.

Marching feet in unison could be musical in a sense due to the rhythm and steady steps but if people don't get into the rhythm like they would a song then it is just the sound of marching and not music.

I stand by my assessment of this whole situation

I have been near def a few times...so i still disagree and could live with out it. Wouldn't be easy but it would be more than possible. Needed surgery to fix the hearing problems.

As for any sound=music is just a horrible argument. That is like saying any wave length is color. It is a bit more complicated and specific than that. There is a certain band of wave length that is color just as for sound to be musical it needs to be rhythmic on some level and people need to want to follow that rhythm.

Marching feet in unison could be musical in a sense due to the rhythm and steady steps but if people don't get into the rhythm like they would a song then it is just the sound of marching and not music.

I stand by my assessment of this whole situation
    And I stand by my assessment as well. You can find music in any form of sound. It all depends on the person that looking for it. There's some people in this world that are more artistic than others.
    (SPOILER)BITCHES

I stand by my assessment of this whole situation :D
    And I stand by my assessment as well. You can find music in any form of sound. It all depends on the person that looking for it. There's some people in this world that are more artistic than others.:cool:
    Artist Shmartistic XP I don't think most music is art in the first place either XD

But when you said music is our communication I just have to laugh. I am not singing to you. I am communicating through language...not music or even sound. Just text in a visual manner :D

I absolutely love music myself but my mother has no interest whatsoever ina any form of music and i really cant see that she has suffered because of this. So for me no music would be torture, for my mum it would make no difference.

My mum even went to Bob Dylans famous Manchester Free Trade Hall gig (The Judas gig) and even that pivotal event had no effect on her, she only went cos my dad insisted. In fact, extending that i find it ironic that the only gigs that i know of my mum going to i would have killed to be at and she couldn't have cared less and would rather have been elsewhere (the other one was Cream at their peak)
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche