Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underrated Books that you Love

Default Underrated Books that you Love

Yeah, this is easy -

-The Deptford Trilogy Yes it is critically acclaimed, but few people I know have bothered to read it.

-The Giver this is underrated by all my fellow students because it was (and likely still is) required reading in high school, but despite being overly simplified it's very good
    Last edited by Vincent, Thunder God; 10-11-2007 at 03:50 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the Dragonlance series is underrated, and also the most awesomest.

Marilyn Manson's "<B>The Long Hard Road out of Hell</B>"

Easily one of the best books that I have ever read.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    =O

Ooh. I've read two Dragonlance books, and I liked them. I "bought" one when I paid a local library for losing it and found it a few months later.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Only two?! They come in trilogies for the most part. You can't just read two!

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

The third volume was checked out when I returned the second volume, and I was too lazy to go back!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - Stephen King. When a site full of Stephen King fans hate it who else would like it
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Soldier's Son trilogy, by Robin Hobb.

Hobb is generally a critically acclaimed writer, but fans would have nothing to do with her stepping out of her box and doing something different. It was a really great trilogy. Despite being a little bit below her usual par, it was still ten times better than most of the other books filling shelves in the fantasy section.

"The Drifters"; James A. Michener. I have no idea why this book isn't on everybody's list as one of the most brilliant things ever written, but it remains (as far as I know, anyways! ) pretty unknown. Which is wtf.

"The Unbearable Lightness of Being"; this book is fairly well-known, but not nearly enough. It's brilliant. And more people seem to have watched the bloody movie
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

The Xanth Stories from Piers Anthony. Great Books, though a lot of people seem to think they are sub par and mediocre. Curse them all.

And I'll say the Shannara books from Terry Brooks. Pretty popular, but they still deserve mentioned due to their sheer Awesome.

An unknown quantity Disco Potato's Avatar

Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston (sp?)

Had to read it in 10th grade. It's kind of a classic, but everyone at my high school who I talked to or overheard hated it. I thought it was wonderful

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'm not sure what I'd class as underrated to be honest. I think that Day of the Triffids doesn't get as much praise as it deserves though.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Culture novels, especially The Player Of Games, Use of Weapons, and Excession.

Sure, Banks gets a ton of praise, but I know exactly one person besides myself who has actually read his sci-fi. And his sci-fi is ridiculously good.

World War Z. Many people have read it, but it doesn't get the critical praise it should, mainly on the basis that it's about zombies and not some destitute kid from Newcastle/gay man in Iran/etc. Regardless of subject this is, without question, one of the most engaging books I have ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall banana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    =O

Ooh. I've read two Dragonlance books, and I liked them. I "bought" one when I paid a local library for losing it and found it a few months later.
    One would argue that they're pulp fiction and/or marketing of an unrelated intellectual property (D&D), but the thing is, books classified as either generally are only panned for those very reasons.

I have found a lot of supposed pulp fiction (Tarzan series - pulp fiction at the time but now classic, and the Pellucidar series also by Rice Burroughs, the Gor series) very enjoyable, and I've enjoyed a few Star Wars or Star Trek tie-in novels for light, fast reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Thompson View Post
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - Stephen King. When a site full of Stephen King fans hate it who else would like it
    I find that Steven King can be a bit hit-and-miss, but I can't comment on that one because I haven't read it. I really enjoyed his Dark Tower series, Misery, and despite a ridiculously slow start, the Tommyknockers. After about 250 pages, it really starts becoming very suspenseful.

Quote Originally Posted by Germ Hamee View Post
    The Soldier's Son trilogy, by Robin Hobb.

Hobb is generally a critically acclaimed writer, but fans would have nothing to do with her stepping out of her box and doing something different. It was a really great trilogy. Despite being a little bit below her usual par, it was still ten times better than most of the other books filling shelves in the fantasy section.
    I do enjoy fantasy (both reading it and writing it) but I find that often the writers fall into repetitive patterns, rip off each other, and have wooden, cardboard-cutout characters. If you feel that Hobb is above par, I'll definitely have to try out that trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Resha View Post
    "The Drifters"; James A. Michener. I have no idea why this book isn't on everybody's list as one of the most brilliant things ever written, but it remains (as far as I know, anyways! ) pretty unknown. Which is wtf.

"The Unbearable Lightness of Being"; this book is fairly well-known, but not nearly enough. It's brilliant. And more people seem to have watched the bloody movie
    I really enjoy Michener in general - Hawaii really was a tour de force, though at first it was a tad long even for me.

I haven't heard of the latter but I'll add it to my literally endless list of books I want to read. Whether I'll ever get to it in another matter. :rolleyes2

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    The Xanth Stories from Piers Anthony. Great Books, though a lot of people seem to think they are sub par and mediocre. Curse them all.

And I'll say the Shannara books from Terry Brooks. Pretty popular, but they still deserve mentioned due to their sheer Awesome.
    I've heard that Xanth started out well but became too "punny." Still, as I enjoy humourous writing I'll keep it in mind. Any individual suggestions? What's the best one to try?

As for the Shannara series, I really enjoy it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Potato View Post
    Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston (sp?)

Had to read it in 10th grade. It's kind of a classic, but everyone at my high school who I talked to or overheard hated it. I thought it was wonderful
    I always enjoy a good classic. I haven't had it as recommended reading yet - if I never do I'll keep it in mind to try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I'm not sure what I'd class as underrated to be honest. I think that Day of the Triffids doesn't get as much praise as it deserves though.
    I really liked the Chrysalids by the same author, though I found the beginning and end a bit rushed, while the middle was slightly overlong. I'll keep that in mind too.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    The Culture novels, especially The Player Of Games, Use of Weapons, and Excession.

Sure, Banks gets a ton of praise, but I know exactly one person besides myself who has actually read his sci-fi. And his sci-fi is ridiculously good.

World War Z. Many people have read it, but it doesn't get the critical praise it should, mainly on the basis that it's about zombies and not some destitute kid from Newcastle/gay man in Iran/etc. Regardless of subject this is, without question, one of the most engaging books I have ever read.
    Never heard of either, but I'll keep them in mind too.

Why do there have to be so many books and so little time to read them? If there is a Heaven, hopefully you can access all books ever published there.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Most of works are pretty well received, but it seemed that this stand alone has not shone as much as it should. It is very much similar to the Avalon series in spirit.

Anything by Lynn Flewelling. She is simply phenomenal. I pick up one of her books and I cannot put it down. What is great about Flewelling is that she deals with a variety of issues related to sexuality. In her Nightrunner series the two lead characters (both male) are bisexual, though romantically involved. In her Tamir trilogy she deals with the issue of gender identity and the consequences of it such an issue.

The Fifth Ring series by Mitchell Graham. At first appearance it may seem like a futuristic, LotR rip-off but it is not. Sure there are magically rings and orcs in it, but that is basically their only common ground.

Artifacts of Power series by Maggie Furey. It has been ages since I read it, but it was one of my first fantasy series ever. I simply love it. She takes the old four elements model and makes something interesting out of it. The weakness of the series is that it ends with some loose ends, so there is the feeling that there should be more to the series.

EDIT: A new author that I seems like she'll be pretty good is Gail Z. Martin and her The Chronicles of the Necromancer series. So far only one novel has been published, The Summoner, but it seems to b a good premise for a series. She takes an interesting look at necromancy as a type of magic, looking at it away from the stereotypical model of it being purely evil. Rather she presents both good and the bad sides of it and the difficulties of being a Spirit Mage (a.k.a. a necromancer).
    Last edited by The Summoner of Leviathan; 10-11-2007 at 04:26 AM.