Thread: Fire! Fire! Oh no Gordon died! LIFE! Yay Life lvl up!

*yawn* Fire! Fire! Oh no Gordon died! LIFE! Yay Life lvl up!

Well I'm clearly the worst leveler out there. I spent a good chunk of time the past two days leveling my magic and what not. Well after I noticed everything dies when I try to hit it with magic and that's not going to level me fast I realized..

... I COULD JUST START USING MAGIC ON MY OWN PEOPLE! Guy's up to 1000 HP, I can just slam him like a million times with magic! And Gordon!? He's wonderful for leveling life magic! Just a stab or so and he's dead and Maria goes and revives him. I think I've level'd two life levels from killing and reviving Gordon. Not to mention 10 minute battles against goblins because I was killing my own people instead of them have to be note worthy at this point.

Anyways, How did you level your magic? With monsters or people? Do you find my method of sadistic magic leveling appealing?

..Cause you should, it's damn fun and no one really ever dies... 'cept Gordon.. 'cause he's suppose to.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I NEVER THOUGHT OF DOING THAT!

Now...if only I had the ambition to play again... I was so close to the end, too.

I level up my magic with monsters. It's quicker that way.

Gordon's stats will level up faster than you think they will. Let him survive some battles and he'll catch up with Firion, Maria, and Gus quite quickly. He also makes a good magic caster since his MP increases drastically compared to Josef, Gareth, and them.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

why bother actually casting the spells 8))))))

I level my magic on mostly monsters. And I use Status effect magic to increase my magic quicker(mostly Maria does this since she's my main Black Mage)

For White Magic I do the same thing(by using Protect, Shell, etc. And Firion does this since he's my Paladin)
    Last edited by Crossblades; 10-18-2007 at 01:07 AM.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Magic is in theory a good thing in FF2, because it replaces the hugely redundant -ara/-aga system present in modern games that sees lower level spells unused at higher levels. The main problem is that many people don't have the patience to level up magic, or find it isn't enough to take on monsters especially since physical attacks do the job so well. If it were up to me I'd probably remove the ability to gain stat-ups from offensive magic cast on allies and increase the speed of levelling and possible increase the cap to like 32 or something.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by rubah
    why bother actually casting the spells 8))))))
    Hahaha, yeah.

Although, since casting the spells and cancel-bugging them to level up both seem to take forever, I just let them level up as I use them throughout the game. Many of the spells only have to get up to a certain level to be effective, anyway (most of the status ones, I remember).

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I only really bothered with certain spells that I knew I'd have use for. For instance, the cure spells or the fire element spells. Otherwise I just didn't see much point levelling up something I simply wouldn't use. When I did, I tended to level up by hitting monsters because I've not got enough initiative to try something clever like using it on my own people. I do attack my high level characters in FFTA though, to gain easy EXP for my low levelled characters.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

I thought you could level up life by using it on living team mates or enemies in a battle.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

In the NES version, I used action-cancel to level up my spells. In FFII DoS, the spells level up relatively quickly, so I just kept casting them. However, I still kept using Sap on my own characters in the DoS version since they'll gain more MP that way (Sap drains their MP).
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Banned

Abusing the level glitch gets old quickly, and I find it much more enjoyable to let it level up while advancing in the game; it feels SO much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20 View Post
    Abusing the level glitch gets old quickly, and I find it much more enjoyable to let it level up while advancing in the game; it feels SO much better.
    Thats what she said...

....MARIA that is!!! She became like my best character that way
    "When you do things right, people won't notice you've done anything at all.""
    -God-

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Monol View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20 View Post
    Thats what she said...

....MARIA that is!!! She became like my best character that way
    Heh, I also used to über-max my chars like this, but it just didn't feel as great as letting everything build on its own.
    Seeing an "Maria's HP increased" and "Maria's MP increased" feels much better if you didn't even care about trying to increase it.

I did both, in the beginning I did it on my own party, later just on monsters. Be careful and plan your party accordingly to their "jobs" because on my way through I thought I could have the ULTIMATE FIGHTER and have MAGIC STRENGTH have it all, but stats lvl inversely as you probably know. I just don't want you to have a mediocre person in my party like I did.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post
    I did both, in the beginning I did it on my own party, later just on monsters. Be careful and plan your party accordingly to their "jobs" because on my way through I thought I could have the ULTIMATE FIGHTER and have MAGIC STRENGTH have it all, but stats lvl inversely as you probably know. I just don't want you to have a mediocre person in my party like I did.
    I always use this party:

FRIONIEL - Fighter / White Mage
    MARIA - Archer / Black Mage
    GUY - Fighter
    LIONHEART - Fighter

This is the most enjoyable party I know of so far; it allows me to have lots of fighters, and still build some fairly effective magic.
    Besides, this is obviously the "intended party" according to the initial equipment and initial stats.