Thread: Sony has a fix for $400 PS3's Lack of BackCompat

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

This is why I never sell my old consoles. It's the best way to handle backwards compatibility.
    Figaro Castle

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Honestly, I think you're all making a bigger deal about BC than most people would. There are more PS2's out there than Catholics in North America. Pretty much everyone and there brother has one. Honestly, people bitch about the price, then they bitch about losing full BC when Sony cuts costs to give them a more reasonable price. The fact is, Sony offered full BC once, and it might help sell a few consoles early one, but it's not going to help in the overall big picture, and PS2's aren't going to disappear from the shelves anytime soon, so if you want to play PS2 & PSX games, buy one. I didn't buy my PS3 so I could play older Playstation games on it. Even if they hadn't had full BC I still would have picked it up. At best I see it as a nice extra, but certainly not a major selling point.

That said, I don't see why they left out PS2 support with the 40GB model. It's all software emulation now so that doesn't really make sense. Maybe if people demand it enough though, they'll be able to add it through a future firmware update.
    I think there's something very wrong with continually stripping features off a piece of hardware and offering it in a new package. First they said that it was a part of the Playstation legacy and that backwards compatibility was important. Then, it wasn't so important. Now, they say they're not giving it to us because we should try out more PS3 games. It would be less of a big deal if the console had been without the feature in the first place, but I still think it would've been an important issue.

I'd want backwards compatibility for a variety of reasons--the harddrive is a good one by itself. Upscaling is another. Simply not having four consoles plugged into my TV at any given time is another. I remember thinking it was dumb when Microsoft offered the Core and the Premium. The number of models Sony has blown through in the past year shows just how badly they've stumbled. I don't think they know what the hell they're doing.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Ignoring the bad business decisions, a PS2 is now what, 100$? Maybe less (it's been months since I bought a ps2 for 100$)? Just purchase a ps2 for your psx/2 needs, imo.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions

Why not just give up on the next gen for now and just stick to PS2's/XBox's and PC's?
    FOA

It's the same as when I kept my SNES when I got an N64. The logic cannot be disputed: It makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloki View Post
    Why not just give up on the next gen for now and just stick to PS2's/XBox's and PC's?
    That too. Each previous generation saw a massive leap in graphical technology, whereas this current gen is surprisingly gradual. Since the graphics are the only thing what's different, it's not worth it.
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 10-19-2007 at 06:01 PM.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    This is why I never sell my old consoles. It's the best way to handle backwards compatibility.
    I could not agree more

*busts out the atari 2600*

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    It's the same as when I kept my SNES when I got an N64. The logic cannot be disputed: It makes perfect sense.
    There's a pretty big difference when you're comparing systems that use entirely different mediums to hold data. The PS3 can read CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray; there's no reason it shouldn't be able to play a PS2 game. Conversely, an NES cartridge obviously will not work if you cram it in an SNES.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

*Turns away from PC emulation of Disgaea for a moment*

I'm sorry, what are you guys talking about?
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Yeah they're being real jackass on this. If you want backwards compatibility buy a PS2. Don't they know how stupid and inconvienient it is to unplug your PS3 to just to play your pS2 then unplug and replug in your PS3 when you want to play it again!?

Yellow Winged Angel

Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

That video is almost a year old. Those problems have been fixed several times over already (Check the links posted on the side of that video). Plus it's not really an issue now that PS3s won't have backwards compatibility anyway.

I don't really see what the big deal is here. You're getting less but you're paying less. If you really want a PS3 with backwards compatibility, buy one now. Sure, Sony have obviously backpedaled on this issue but I thought everyone would be so used to that by now that they wouldn't consider it to be a particularly notable occurrence.

Well I had to keep my old PS2 as alot of my PS2 games are imports so my PS3 cant play them anyway. Apparantly them keeping backwards compatability out of the 40GB PS3 isnt to make it cheaper. It just isnt there. Thats pretty damn lazy.

But then again, you buy a PS3 to play PS3 games, this isnt a big deal.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So what? This isn't something they hid from the public. People complain when they add ports most people will never use and the price is high, then they complain again when they remove some to bring the price down. Ridiculous.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't have much room for consoles. I've only got room for three to be set up at once, and that's awkward. I have over half a dozen already, and I already have to keep my PS2 and PS1 both set up because they play games from different regions.