Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sony has a fix for $400 PS3's Lack of BackCompat

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    That video is almost a year old. Those problems have been fixed several times over already (Check the links posted on the side of that video). Plus it's not really an issue now that PS3s won't have backwards compatibility anyway.

I don't really see what the big deal is here. You're getting less but you're paying less. If you really want a PS3 with backwards compatibility, buy one now. Sure, Sony have obviously backpedaled on this issue but I thought everyone would be so used to that by now that they wouldn't consider it to be a particularly notable occurrence.
    That's the thing though. Considering Sony did release a patch that allowed PS1 and PS2 games to be run in 1080p, that was something I was actually looking forward to about the PS3. Especially considering since that meant (along with another patch) that you could play FFXI online with HD.

Anyway you slice it it's still a huge letdown to the consumer. I really don't like that one quote, that it was to encourage players to buy ps3 games. That sounds alot like coercion to me. It's a little scary that it's being applied to consumerism of video games, of all things.

As inane as it is (yes, backwards compatibility shouldn't be seen as something that's optional, I agree) I'm probably going to follow Sony's advice on this one. It's just generally a better practice to own the original consoles, and if I can buy the PS3 without backwards compatibility for a reduced cost plus the more reliable original console, I'll do it. (Plus you don't have to buy that annoying add-on that reads old memory cards).

But yes, I see the point of argument here - Sony doesn't look like a company that's willing to put quality over added price, which is what they'd been famous for with the PS2 (which BTW apparently had much better backwards compatibility too). I think they may have over-stretched themselves this time. They might not survive.

Way to alienate your customers, Sony. I think, aside from my Wii, I´m just going to skip this generation considering both Sony and Microsoft are screwing up on some big level. Maybe Sony will smarten up for the PS4. The PS2 and PS1 were both awesome. I don´t have any faith for this current generation left, but it's possible they'll learn from their mistakes for next time.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I don't see how Microsoft is screwing up on some big level.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If I buy the PS3, it will be to play PS3 games, not PS2 games. I can emulate most PS2 games on my PC anyway, let alone play them on my PS2.

Anyone who trusts a large corporation like Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft to stick to their word has no idea what they're dealing with. It's your own fault, really. It's not like they signed a contract which said that if they stopped BC that they would be penalised in some way or that the people would be given some kind of compensation. Words mean nothing, and you should all know that by now.

Otherwise you'd be buying your PS3's from Nintendo right now.

Of course, there are too few decent next-gen games to purchase any next-gen console right now, as far as I'm concerned. I'm still waiting for them to stop making PS2 versions of all the games. Why pay more for graphics? It means little to me.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

[q=Mirage]I don't see how Microsoft is screwing up on some big level.[/q]
    How is designing and selling a defective console not screwing up on some big level?

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    How is designing and selling a defective console not screwing up on some big level? :p
    Seriously. That kind of thing is much worse than the PS3 backwards compatibility and price stuff. At least the PS3 works when it's all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    How is designing and selling a defective console not screwing up on some big level?
    Seriously. That kind of thing is much worse than the PS3 backwards compatibility and price stuff. At least the PS3 works when it's all said and done.
    Yeah, agreed. I actually bought a 360 which crashed an hour after playing, and continued to do so when I kept playing, so I brought it back right away and got an exchange. That one's fine. So I don't think they're all defective. But some definitely are, which is just despicable.

They all have a really high chance of getting the red ring. Hell, when Microsoft ´´fixes´´ your Xbox and sends it back to you, it´s still just as likely to get the red ring of death. I can't tell you how many calls I've gotten from people who just got their Xbox back after a month and it's getting the red ring right out of the box.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

O right, the ring of death. Forgot about that.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    That one's fine. So I don't think they're all defective. But some definitely are, which is just despicable.
    Nope. Unless the ones with redesigned innards have been released now, then every 360 is just as likely as another to get the red ring of death. Every single one they made for two years shares the same inherent design flaw. If you're extra careful with them, or just luckier than most, yours might be fine for years, but there's a reason their failure rate is over 30%, whereas Nintendo and Sony are below 1%.

Nintendo and Sony seem to build their products to last, and take lots of damage.

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

In the UK the PS2 has stayed the same price for about 2 years, honestly, its not dropped in price. Because of this "slimline" lark they think its okay to keep the price the same.

I was going to buy one, too, because I dont have a PS2 in England, but I can't be bothered after that, I think I'll wait a year and a half and buy a PS3 regardless.
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.