Thread: How do you activate Japanese letters on your computer?

Banned

Default How do you activate Japanese letters on your computer?

Not only that, but how do you actually *write* the letters yourself?
    Two questions in one.

Help, please.

You talking about a word document I assume?
    Sig removed for exceeding the maximum limit of awesomeness.

Banned

Yes, anything that allows me to read and write Japanese letters.

Moved to help forum.

Get a Japanese word processor.

<A href="http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~grosenth/jwpce.html">JWPce</A> is a good one under the GNU license. You're free to download and distribute it.

The way I set mine up was to go into Language Options on the Control Panel and install support for East Asian languages (Japanese). When that's installed you can change the Language bar to Japanese and type in Japanese using that. It also means that Japanese characters come up properly on your computer.
    "Reality is that which,
    when you stop believing in it,
    doesn't go away".
    Philip K. Dick

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

Get a windows CD, put it in and go to your language controls in your control panel "regional and language options". Languages tab, tick "install files for east asian languages".

It should start installing them, if not press OK and it should start. If thats already been done then skip it and press "Details" under "Text services and input languages".

You'll probbaly see either English (UK) or English (US), or Swedish since your Swedish, I dont know your PC setup. press "add" which is on the side, search for Japanese and install these keyboard settings: "Japanese", "Microsoft IME Standard 2002" and "Microsoft Natural Input 2002".

It should come up somewhere on the bar on your windows screen, bottom right hand side, where you can change the setting for that window to "JP". When its been set to JP, press left alt and shift, and start typing in Japanese.

Its akward to get to know, if you want a word to turn into Kanji, you need to type the word then press space bar. For example, かんじ will turn into 漢字, Japanese uses no spaces, if you want to make a space you need to turn off the IME pressing leftalt and shift. To use Katakana, type out a word in hiragan and press f7.
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You can download the japanese IME from microsoft.com if you dont' have access to a windows cd.