Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Death Note

I loved it! It really made me think too, who would I kill and how? Hmm...

I thought Death Note is a good series. The first arc is definitely the highlight, though, when you see the cat and mouse chase between L and Light while both try to outwit each other, and I like the stuff with Ryuk and the dark aura he brings to the storyline itself, and more characters are introduced to the plot with a good pace so that things don't become too confusing as long as you're paying attention.

The Yotsuba arc gets occasionally a bit lame compared to the previous arc because of (SPOILER)"Good" Light (there just isn't that much thrilling stuff going except for the identity of the Yotsuba Kira), but it's still interesting to see the interaction between Light and L and to to see some of the other characters get more screen time. However, the ending of the second arc is quite dramatic (SPOILER)with L's death, and I really like the anime's Christian symbolism when they show Light and L in a similar manner to Jesus and Judas, which I thought was a nice inclusion.

Because of the events of the second arc the third arc doesn't quite have the same intensity as the first arc, which is a shame, although I really like the way how the new characters, namely (SPOILER)Near, Mello, Mikami and Takada, are developed and don't stay as cardboard cutouts but actually change as the show progresses. However, it's somewhat disappointing that in the end (SPOILER)it all comes down to chance, and in some ways it's satisfying but in other ways it could've been written better. The difference in the ending between the anime and manga versions is interesting, and in some ways the anime does it better but loses some nice moments from the manga in the process.

The storyline moves quite quickly in some cases, but thankfully many of the conversations are given the time they deserve. The dialogue is often brilliant, and it's a joy seeing the story told from both sides' point of view. Animation is quite good and detailed, and I like the mood it creates with the way it uses different colours, light and shadow. The music isn't bad either, having a nice mix of traditional orchestra and choral power in dramatic spots while also having the more instrumental-oriented character themes for L, Light and the others, and the interesting mix works for the most part and manages to enhance the storyline.

Death Note relies more on dialogue than action, so it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it has nice and thrilling moments, and it's interesting to watch the characters interact with one another and see what happens next, and the story keeps itself focused most of the time. All in all it's worth watching.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

EWWWWWW L's voice is too manly, he needs to be odder! Stupid american dubbing.

L is quite possibly the most manly person in anime history so show some respect.

Any hoot yeah im an action hore so at first the show didnt really reel me in but then they showed L and I was like "SWEEET!!!" so I read all the manga. Its pretty interesting as its nice to see characters that are potrayed as intelligent and actually justify it. Your gonna see some of the most crazy,clever and elaborate plots out of any series. If anything just watch/read Deathnote simply for the relationship between L and Light. The endings not GREAT (but then again what anime is? ) but the grand climax is AMAZING!

L for prez
    "When you do things right, people won't notice you've done anything at all.""
    -God-

Simply put, one of the best anime ever. (watch it with subs though)

C'mon C'mon

I read the first seven volumes before everybody on the internet discovered it and it became discussed almost everywhere. I really enjoyed it up until that point, it's a good read.

A Lyrical Storm Is Coming TyphoonThaReapa's Avatar

Man, the last episode (2th) was pretty damn intelligent. This L guys really something else. And there's nothing wrong with his voice. It's all perfect so far....
    A'yo son, TTR WAS HERE!!!
    (SPOILER)BITCHES

You know,This is my first time witching this show.And it look kinda wack because i didn't see action on the show!
    JUST JAMAL MATHEWS!!!!!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

(SPOILER)If L hadn't died, he would have had to live with diabetes

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Skip the show. Read the manga.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bat man View Post
    You know,This is my first time witching this show.And it look kinda wack because i didn't see action on the show!
    It's not an action show. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Skip the show. Read the manga.
    Come now 'Kishi, the anime is pretty close to the manga right up until the end when they decide to randomly mess with some stuff. And it's pretty. Very, very pretty.

Anyway, regarding L's voice, didn't sound terrible. It's my preference that Light has a deeper voice than L, given how the original Japanese was done, but it works pretty well I'd say. Just need to hear it more.

Light's English voice actor definitely nailed the crazy, which is good since he's going to need it.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The anime seems to add a ton of unnecessary tension to scenes that were supposed to be straightforward in the manga; add this to the drama that <i>is</i> supposed to be there, and it comes off as incessant. It's like the guys in charge of scenario and sound design got the memo that this was a "grim" series and totally overdid everything.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void View Post
    Light's English voice actor definitely nailed the crazy, which is good since he's going to need it.
    Definitely n.n

I don't think they could have hired a better person for the job. The Japanese actor didn't quite hit the "Good Light" as well as the English guy

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    (SPOILER)If L hadn't died, he would have had to live with diabetes
    *rofl*

A Lyrical Storm Is Coming TyphoonThaReapa's Avatar

Ok, Light is amazingly sinister. The story is one of a kind and it quickly risen to one of my favorites.
    A'yo son, TTR WAS HERE!!!
    (SPOILER)BITCHES