Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dernier Fantasy Huit?

Default Weird changes in French version (Warning: Image-heavy)

INTERJECTION: What a hell? I tried to change the thread title but it's only showing up on this page. The forum index is still showing my previous title!

Okay, it's half term, I've got no college for a week and I'm bored, so I'm gonna play through the French version of FF8 on my PSX emulator and show you all some of the weird little differences in the translation.

Having played through it a couple of times already I found it fascinating how much they changed. Many of you will probably be more interested in plucking nasal hair, but nevertheless I'm gonna present a bunch of screenshots and point out some of the weird little differences: It's evident from the amount of stuff that is different that very little of this was based on the English version, but rather directly retranslated from Japanese. Man, I am such a geek

Little note: If it's a visual thing or an item name, I'll just add an explanation. If it's dialogue, I'll try to add the dialogue from the English version, with a translation of the French underneath. You'll see what I mean...

First off, the intro: Nothing too special, the text was even left in English. Since the majority of native French speakers seem to be fluent in English anyway this probably doesn't matter.

English: "I can't just run away."
    French: "It's about the honour."

English: "I knew it'd either be you or Seifer!"
    French: "Oh my god! I knew that would end badly!"

English: "I'm more complex than you think."
    French: "I'm more complex than you think."

English: "Then tell me..." (And then "...tell me more about yourself.")
    French: "Complex? Yes, you've got some complexes!"

Ah, the menu. Most of it's just the same but there are some notable differences. Look at where you'd normally find "Junction" and "GF", and you'll see "Associer" (Associate) and "G-Force" in their places. G-Force shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, but what the hell's with "Associate"? This, along with Squall's exchange with Quistis, is what leads me to believe they weren't basing it on the English version very much.

Phoenix Down = MT-Psy. If anyone can tell us what this means, go right ahead!

Update thanks to Hyperion4444: "MT stands for Magic Thaumaturgic 'revivication magic', and then "Psy" refers to the mind so it's about reviving the mind, as people don't die in FF8, they're knocked out cold.

Another update: In the French version of FFTA (and possibly a fair few other games now too), these are known as "Queue de Phénix", which is self-explanatory.

Status ailments are "Attaques mentales" (Mental/psychological attacks) in this one. Yep, that horrible "poison" you claim to be suffering from? All psychosomatic, good sir! You're gonna be alright!

Tent = Red Kross. Um, okay. A not-so-subtle pun on the Red Cross, but the icon of a pyramid-shaped tent is gonna confuse some players :P Sure, first-aid kits have red crosses on them as well, but it appears that this translation's trying to go for a more "technical" feel.

Time to name my first G-Force! No Quezacotl this time round, but instead "Golgotha", the hill upon which Jesus was crucified, but also apparently based on "Golgoth", the French word for a Gigas or a Titan. It seems kind of random, but then Quezalcoatl didn't fit and looked weird, plus I'm sure our ol' Mayan friend was a bit more humanoid. (I've heard the odd theory that it was always meant to be called Garuda... anyone able to back up this claim?)

You'll notice "BGU" appear a few times in this shot. "BGU" stands for "Balamb Garden Université", and is constantly referred to by that acronym throughout the game. When referring to Galbadia and Trabia, they're referred to as faculties, or usually just a "fac".

Boost = Turbo. Fair enough.

Status menu! Most of the stat names are pretty simple (do I have to explain the abbreviations? If you've read this far then you obviously play the game enough to know which stat goes where...) but most notably, "Spirit" is now "Psy". That doesn't seem to be short for anything, it's always just called "Psy". Also, the name of Squall's weapon, the "Pistolame" is a portmanteau of "Pistolet" and "Lame", the French words for "Pistol" and "Blade" respectively. Gunblade!

Fire Cavern = "Mine de Souffre" (Mine of suffering)
    Update: No it's not! Going by all the chatter from Hyperion4444 and Takara (are you guys Québecois by any chance?), I hereby conclude this is a pun: "souffrir", to suffer, and "soufre", sulphur, basically making it the "Mine of Sulferring".

^_________________^

Go to the Cafeteria if you want some hot dogs Bretzels, but keep in mind you're "gonna have to form a queue". I'm told that Bretzels are a lot like hot dogs, but the sausages are fried in batter. (Hey, it was just bread in the Japanese version.)

Fujin is a lot more articulate this time round, and I think this makes sense: Near the end of disc 3, Fujin suddenly drops her composure for no reason. I'm not sure if she did this in the Japanese one as well (I know for a fact that she normally talks in single character kanji sentences) but you get a rather nice twist with Fujin's dialogue later on. But I'll have to reach that point!

Draw Point = "Source de Magie" (Magic source)

More to come!
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 10-22-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Lightning Fast Speed! Hyperion4444's Avatar

That's Great info.

Golgoth?
    Where did you get that info?
    Never heard of that...

um...
    Boost = Boost
    Turbo = Turbo
    right?
    Just not the exact same word may it be english or french..

Pretzels????? Not Hot Dogs anymore????

Seifer, want to drink a shot.
    ??? They sell alcoolic beverages ???

Gunblade.
    Gunblade is a good name.
    Not Pistoolame.
    Last edited by Hyperion4444; 10-21-2007 at 07:47 PM.

I actually bought the French version of Final Fantasy VIII when I was doing A-Level French (not that it helped; I got an E... )

It is interesting to see the subtleties in the difference of translation. I should ask my folks to bring it up with them when they visit in a couple of weeks (yikes!).

@ Hyperion4444: Les Bretzels, not pretzels. Bretzels are like deep-fried hot dogs. Freaking awesome, they are as well.
    Last edited by Tallulah; 10-21-2007 at 06:14 PM.

"I work in one of those humble call centres... Apparently, what we're doing at the moment is 'sprinkling our magic along the way'. It's a call centre, not Hogwarts." ~ Caroline Garlick, Ayrshire, BBC News Magazine

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

I want to play the Japanese version of FFVIII. The English dialogue bothers me a lot.

Your screenshots are beautiful, by the way. =O

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I actually bought the French version of Final Fantasy VIII when I was doing A-Level French (not that it helped; I got an E... )

It is interesting to see the subtleties in the difference of translation. I should ask my folks to bring it up with them when they visit in a couple of weeks (yikes!).

@ Hyperion4444: Les Bretzels, not pretzels. Bretzels are like deep-fried hot dogs. Freaking awesome, they are as well.
    Oh really?
    Never heard of it...
    ok.

Mine de Souffre can't exist.
    Souffre is Indicatif Present of the verb Souffrir.
    You can't say Mine of Suffer.
    You'll need to say Mine of Suffering instead, right?
    So, they can only mean Soufre, an element along the lines of Oxygen.
    and something else..

Where can I find a French copy of FFVIII?
    Last edited by Hyperion4444; 10-21-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion4444 View Post
    Golgoth?
    Where did you get that info?
    Never heard of that...
    A fan-translation of FF6: Umaro, in the US version, is described as having the strength of a Gigas. The French one replaced "Gigas" with "Golgoth".

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall banana View Post
    Your screenshots are beautiful, by the way. =O
    Yeah, I was pretty pleased when I got the emulator to run the bloody thing. Had to make a copy of my disc and use the copy!

Mine de Souffre can't exist.
    Souffre is Indicatif Present of the verb Souffrir.
    You can't say Mine of Suffer.
    You'll need to say Mine of Suffering instead, right?
    So, they can only mean Soufre, an element along the lines of Oxygen.
    and something else..

Where can I find a French copy of FFVIII?
    Well... it is a name. You're allowed to take grammatical liberties when naming, that's what makes language fun.

I got my copy of Amazon.fr, but that was a few years ago. I dunno if there's gonna be any left these days. Your best bet would be to actually find a copy in a French-speaking country.

Anyways, summoning!

I make this to be "Purifying Flash", as "Feu" normally means "Fire" but can also mean "Traffic Light"... but who could I be summoning if I'm so convinced that "Feu" doesn't mean fire?
    According to Hyperion4444: It's "Fire Purificator", so don't let me or anyone else tell you otherwise.

Of course: Golgotha!

According to my dictionary, Transcendentale = Transcontinental.
    According to rubah: transcendentale is more along the lines of the transcendentalists, so it's a reference to transcendentalism, which has to do with reaching ideal spiritual state that transcends the physical being. Seeing as Shiva, despite looking like the Celtic female entity, seems to borrow a lot from the Hindu Shiva, such as the sari in FFX. Hinduism is a religion which believes in multiple reincarnations until, of course, you transcend your physical being so that makes sense.

God knows what it has to do with Shiva.
    Updated: I guess now we do. The translators were probably as confused about Shiva's identity here as everyone else :P

Divine Comedy! That is such a cool name for an attack! (It's an epic poem about the nine tiers of hell)

'sup Ifrit.

English: "The boys often choke on this test when I take them along."
    "I guess my charm makes them nervous."
    French: "Certain students fail this test because of me... I make them nervous."
    "My competence? My authority? Who knows?"

English: "(Whatever...)"
    French: "(Maybe your charms...)" O_o

Blue Magic = "Initiation"

Laser Eye = "Fovéa". I can't find "Fovéa" in the dictionary, but it could be a French transliteration of some other foreign word, as shows up a lot in this version. Anyone got any ideas?

Pwned!
    Thanks to Vivisteiner: The "fovea" is in the eye. Oh. I'm officially a dumbass for not looking beyond the dictionary, and shall have to do so in future.

G-Returned = "Sel Marin", Sea Salt. Fair enough.

Bomb Fragment = "Hot Rock". There's a lot of English in this game that doesn't appear in the English version. Again, this is obviously retranslated straight from Japanese.

Note the name of Quistis' initial weapon, "Gibet", meaning "Gallows". It'll get worse from there, believe me.

Soft = "Défijeur", a miracle cure for "Fossile", or Petrify. I have no idea what a "Défijeur" is.

Eye Drops = "Lasik", curing "Darkness". "Darkness" was used in place of "Blind" in FF7, but is that the usual Japanese name? As for "Lasik", well, I'm starting to think these localisation staff are way more multilingual than me.
    20/11/07 Update: I just happened to stumble on the acronym "LASIK" the other day, which is a type of laser surgery used to correct a person's eyesight. Fair enough!

Echo Screen = "Bocca", curing "Aphasie" (Silence). "Aphasie" is of course "Aphasia".

Holy Water = "Eau Bénite", curing Zombie and "Fleau" (Curse); sure enough, the name means exactly the same thing here ("Bénite" means "Consecrated", which is what Holy Water basically is)

Spider Web = "U-Boat". What the smurf?

NOTHING ESCAPES THE L33T PHOTOSHOP SKILLZ OF THE LOCALISATION TEAM! (They've sneakily changed the text on the ground to read "Serre de Combat", meaning battlefield.)

Bestiary: Chapter 1

Bite Bug

Elmidéa, for "Elmidae", a type of beetle or something.

"It's best that you remain calm when attacking this flying beast. It's very mobile but not very resilient."

Caterchipillar

Larva. Oh come on, you all know what that is.

"In spite of its clumsy appearance, it attacks very quickly. Its spell, "Ultra Waves", can strike all enemies."

Buel

Schizoid. I believe that's a word describing somebody with a split-personality, though not as extreme as schizophrenia.

"Very resistant to magic; it has virtually no effect on it. However, it is vulnerable to physical attacks." ("Attaques armés" literally mean... ah hell, you can guess, but it's in-game so video game glossary applies :P)

Red Bat

Nocturnus. Pretty cool name

A voracious kind of bat. Ready to ambush from the darkest corners, it attacks its victim, puncuring and killing it."

Bomb

Succube. (Succubus.) (SPOILER)Blobra, or Flan, is called "Incubus".

"A fire monster. Calme, but grows large, possibly exploding, when attacked."

Glacial Eye

Xylopode ("Pode" comes from a root meaning "foot", so it's basically a mix of the words "xylophone" and "foot"... hey, take a look at its lower appendage.)

"Floats in the air via snow magic. When its health is low, it uses its vampiric fangs to drain its enemies."

Grat

Orchida.

"Its entire body is like a digestive tract. Kills its enemies with its tentacles. Uses sleeping* gas."

*The "Sleep" spell is called "Morphée", which is French for "Morphine", but we'll get to that some day.

More to come!
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 11-20-2007 at 11:07 PM.

C'mon C'mon

I found some lulz in the parts of this thread I could be bothered to read. Good job.

lawl. Tis pretty funny.

Laser Eye = "Fovéa". I can't find "Fovéa" in the dictionary, but it could be a French transliteration of some other foreign word, as shows up a lot in this version. Anyone got any ideas?
    *Tut tuts and shakes head*

Science education these days...

The fovea is in the eye. The area on the retina with the highest proportion of cones.

http://www.eyecareinstitute.com/images/EyeDiagramLG.jpg

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

This is brilliant, and interesting. Keep going!

"I work in one of those humble call centres... Apparently, what we're doing at the moment is 'sprinkling our magic along the way'. It's a call centre, not Hogwarts." ~ Caroline Garlick, Ayrshire, BBC News Magazine

Mine de Souffre? What the hell? Even in French, it doesn't make sense. "Souffre" is the conjugation of the 1st and 3rd person of the present indicative tense of the verb "souffrir". "Souffrance" is the noun that designates the act of suffering.

I hope it was a typo for "mine de soufre". "Soufre" being the French equivalent of "sulfur", which would make much more sense in context.

Silly French people...

Oh, and "Morphée" is for "Morpheus", Greek god of sleep and dreams (or something like that). Morphine is the same thing in both French and English.
    Last edited by Takara; 10-22-2007 at 12:57 AM.

It's a question of honor. (More accurate)

Seigneur = Lord; Oh mon Dieu = Oh my God

I've discoverered something.
    According to Ancient texte, 'Soufre' was one of the uncombinable element of wich you condense Fire.
    What is condensed fire? Is it Lava by any chance?
    There you go...

U-Boat : Ultra wave.
    Boats rides wave, just not the same kind. lol.

Fire Purification. The exact term.

Eau bénite means blessed water aka Holy Water.

MT-Psy, MT stands for Magic Thaumaturgic 'revivication magic'
    Psy... out on this one... it means mind, but, makes no sence.

Maybe your Charm? Quistis.
    I can't wait to see when they go to the secret area. (Hopefully something better)

Think they got them in Quebec/NB Canada by any chance?
    I bought my FFVIII as Greatest hit last year brand new, in english.
    Last edited by Hyperion4444; 10-22-2007 at 02:30 AM.

I'm surprised we don't have them in Quebec. They already put cheaply-made instruction booklets in French with the games. It's a wonder they don't demand the games are also translated before being sold.

The only game I remember seeing that had a French version as well as the English one was Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Quote Originally Posted by Takara View Post
    I'm surprised we don't have them in Quebec. They already put cheaply-made instruction booklets in French with the games. It's a wonder they don't demand the games are also translated before being sold.

The only game I remember seeing that had a French version as well as the English one was Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
    I heard good news on TVA.
    They said they were going to remake PS1/PS2 games in French.
    this news dates last 2 weeks.
    So, yeah, they did demand it and finally got permission.

All new games are made in multiple languanges.
    If you'd own a PS3, you'd know that.
    Gotta love BDs!

This is me hoping they just remake the games and will sell them as an option for those who aren't bilingual, and not them forcing stores to only sell games translated in French. If it's the latter, it's going to suck. Majorly.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm sure transcendentale is more along the lines of the transcendentalists.