Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any other Rpgs? (Yeah, i know, sacrilige)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Sega-
    Phantasy Star IV
    Shining Force I
    Shining Force II
    Sword of Vermilion

and now I'm going to try not to get laughed out of here.
    Why would you be laughed at? Those are all great games. I'd put Phantasy Star II ahead of IV but both are great nonetheless. But an RPG that I think topples both on the Megadrive was Shadowrun, one of the best 16-bit RPG's in my opinion. Just make sure never to touch its ugly twin on the SNES, which was a horrible game ( shame people only remember that one ) The Megadrive didnt have alot of RPG's but the ones it had were pretty special.

Here are a few more suggestions off the top of my head.....

Dark Chronicle ( Dark Cloud 2 if your in the states )
    Grandia
    Xenogears ( leave all that Xenosaga crap alone )
    Terranigma
    Illusion of Gaia
    Record of Lodoss War
    Alundra
    Well in my experience, when people talk about 16-bit RPGs, they're usually only talking about the SNES (especially on the internet). Alot of them don't know that SEGA had alot more than Sonic going on.

But yo...and I mean YO... Shadow Run was THE SH*T!!! I just downloaded the rom so I'm probably gonna get back into it soon, and I gotta agree, that's one of the best 16-bit games I've ever played, let alone RPG (i'm sure some would say it's not).

And Hazzard, great choice on SF. I can't tell you exactly how long it is, but it's definately a classic. Be sure to read a guide though on the subject of promotion because i messed up a save file or two doing it wrong.

Shining Force is the best 16-bit RPG I've played ever. I've already promoted anyone when possible, I'm struggling with training up a few members: Zukia, Bleu and some others. I might just settle with a final party, the best Knight is definitely Valkar, Mae as second. Diane's a good Archer alongside the shooter guy. It's always good to have a birdman (male one) Zyla (Werewolf), Tao (Wizard) and a decisive Gladiator, such as Gort (apply an agility ring to him and he works wonders later on). The Card Master is vital to amplifying my guys to the next level., and Domingo is so cute, he also packs major heat with magic!

Hey, Bolivar. Reckon Shadow Run is better than SF?
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    SHAME ON ALL OF YOU! HOW COULD YOU FORGET POKEMON!!!!!!!
    Because

A. It's not an RPG
    Pokemon is more of an RPG then most JRPGs are RPGs.

Its definetly an RPG, just because you seemingly have a vendetta against it doesn't make it any less of an RPG.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    Shining Force is the best 16-bit RPG I've played ever. I've already promoted anyone when possible, I'm struggling with training up a few members: Zukia, Bleu and some others. I might just settle with a final party, the best Knight is definitely Valkar, Mae as second. Diane's a good Archer alongside the shooter guy. It's always good to have a birdman (male one) Zyla (Werewolf), Tao (Wizard) and a decisive Gladiator, such as Gort (apply an agility ring to him and he works wonders later on). The Card Master is vital to amplifying my guys to the next level., and Domingo is so cute, he also packs major heat with magic!

Hey, Bolivar. Reckon Shadow Run is better than SF?
    I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it, it's a pretty epic game.

As far as to which Shadow Run or Shining Force is the better, I would have to say it depends on the mood; they're both very different. Shining Force is your linear, traditional SRPG with the traditional fantasy setting while Shadow Run is a very open-ended game with a cyber-punk setting. Think FFVII Midgar except ALOT darker. There's an overall plot, but you can really do whatever you want, taking on "runs" in different parts of the city (could be anything from delivering a package to doing a hit for hire) and the gameplay is you actually running around on the screen shooting/fighting/casting spells along with any characters you recruit. Eventually you get to other cities and advance the plot. It was originally a paper-and-pen RPG like Dungeons & Dragons and I heard they're making an MMORPG for it now.

Whichever one you end up preferring, I would defintely recommend checking out Shining Force II when you're done with those.

Shining Force II, huh? Is it on GBA and is it better than the first edition?
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    Shining Force II, huh? Is it on GBA and is it better than the first edition?
    The GBA version is the remake of the first Shining Force. I own it and it truly rocks! =)

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Morrowind and Oblivion all the way. They're very different from the FF series, but extremely good.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You can't go wrong with any game from the Tales Of series

Ar Tonelico's an unusual one I picked up recently. Although the battles are easier than your average RPG what with being able to seemingly charge up your songs (or spells) almost indefinitely - though not as ridiculously easy as FF:Mystic Quest - the way you need to interact with some of the characters for storyline is quite unique and interesting
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I commend your tastes that you've played the Shadow Hearts games too.

Thanks. Nearly all of my friends couldn't be bothered but, man, they're missing out.
    Thanks you guys for those games. I'll see if i can find any of those. Anybody played Koudelka, the prequel to Shadow Hearts? I can't beat the final boss' third form. It keeps healing!

And does anybody know when White Knight Story is coming out? That looks awesome!

Blog Entries

Any Breath of Fire game (yes, even Dragon Quarter)
    Any Star Ocean game
    Grandia 1 and 2

And that's about all the ones I'm willing to suggest right now. Breath of Fire III in particular has great characterization and atmosphere, IMO, and so does BoF IV.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Any Star Ocean or Zelda and you're golden. They're better than FFs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    Any Star Ocean or Zelda and you're golden. They're better than FFs anyway.
    Careful. Not too many people here consider Zelda an RPG

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Is it? I don't really consider Zelda a RPG. But I would like to also say Suikoden 5 is great fun. And the Tales of series is mad fun too.
    Fire Emblem if you like more strategy. But thats me.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

VAY for the Sega CD is absolutely amazing. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.