Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617

Thread: Why a lot of fans don't like this game *SPOILERS*

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

An area will respawn after you've travelled three areas away from it, I believe; it's referred to as zoning. The trick is, to find a looping path through four or more areas, and just keep moving in an endless cycle. You should never run out of enemies to kill that way.
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Oh, I see, sorry.

An area will respawn after you've travelled three areas away from it, I believe; it's referred to as zoning. The trick is, to find a looping path through four or more areas, and just keep moving in an endless cycle. You should never run out of enemies to kill that way.
    Hm, I've tried that method but if I do that, I'll find sightly fewer enemies. But if I load the game save instead, I've seen a bigger number of enemies. o.O

Blog Entries

If you exit a zone and return, you get a semi-respawn.
    If you exit to 2 zones away and return, you get a full respawn.

I used that quite extensively in the snowy area just past the jungle, as I found that the skeletons gave decent EXP and loot especially if you chain them. Of course, this means you should never hit a save point.

MMORPG style battles are cool, but Final Fantasy should be traditional turn-based battle screen stuff IMO. Otherwise it just ain't Final Fantasy (hence people didn't think much of it). It's like if our admin friends were to replace this messageboard with a video conference - it'd be more advanced, but totally missing the point.

But hey, Final Fantasy isn't itself any more, as the people who made it shine now work for Mistwalker.

I don't mind turn-based battles. I think Final Fantasy X had a fantastic battle system. It's just the system to actually get into those battles should never, ever, ever return in any game ever. :P

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would love to see a retooled version of XII's ADB system return in future installments but I would like to see changes to pacing and animation. My only beef with the MMO elements of the game have to do with farming materials to make the weapons. Beyond that, I can't say I really missed Turn Base combat.

Depending on how XIII utilizes the shift from in-game to battle. We may see turn base again if they can get the game to have seamless transition from exploring to battle a la Chrono Trigger style. I think then it might be safe to say Turn Base has a future unless SE experiments with other games styles like Action RPGs or even a card game based system.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane
    But hey, Final Fantasy isn't itself any more, as the people who made it shine now work for Mistwalker.
    I initially thought that Mistwalker would be great for the reason that you suggest above. However, as far as I've seen, both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey have not performed as well as any of the main line Final Fantasies. In fact, wasn't Blue Dragon a critical let down?

I don't know, I haven't played any Mistwalker games (my dad hoards the Xbox). But, I usually agree with the average critical consensus about games.
    I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII: DoC, VII: CC, VIII, X, X-2, XII, KH, KH:CoM, Re:CoM, KHII, CT

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by hhr1dluv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane
    I initially thought that Mistwalker would be great for the reason that you suggest above. However, as far as I've seen, both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey have not performed as well as any of the main line Final Fantasies. In fact, wasn't Blue Dragon a critical let down?

I don't know, I haven't played any Mistwalker games (my dad hoards the Xbox). But, I usually agree with the average critical consensus about games.
    Depends on who you talk to. Blue Dragon got good reviews, but was chastised for not being an innovative phenomenon that put the JRPG genre on its head. Most people I've talked to say its a pretty good game but it definetly has an old school feel to it.

Lost Odyssey also got pretty high reviews but once again it was criticized for being "safe" and feeling like a "last gen" game. Despite that, I've never really heard anyone who has played it say anything terribly bad about it. In fact most JRPG fans herald it as an amazing game.

Basically, the way I understand it is this:
    Critics: Its good but nothing new. FFXII ftw!
    Gamers: These games are really good! Who cares if they are not overly innovative?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Lost Odyssey also got pretty high reviews but once again it was criticized for being "safe" and feeling like a "last gen" game.
    Feeling like a 'last gen' game is why I love it

I'll never understand those who insist on change for change's sake. It was a winning formula already, and personally, if I wanted to play a MMO style game I'd go play WoW.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Lost Odyssey also got pretty high reviews but once again it was criticized for being "safe" and feeling like a "last gen" game.
    Feeling like a 'last gen' game is why I love it

I'll never understand those who insist on change for change's sake. It was a winning formula already, and personally, if I wanted to play a MMO style game I'd go play WoW.
    You win some you lose some. I didn't like X's system when it came out myself. Overall, I felt XII took alot of good things from MMO's (massive expansive world that is so detailed it almost feels real) but even I admit the game has a few things I don't like (Grinding for materials for the ultimate weapons, respawning treasure chests with random drops to name a few) about the game that it got from MMO's. In XII's case I felt it was fine cause FF has always been about innovation, so I do not see the changes in XII to be bad.

Yet I do agree that the whining by critics on Mistwalker's games seem rather silly in my opinion. Sakeguchi to me at least has always been a good coordinator of talent. He may not be the best writer or the guy who came up with innovative battle systems, but he had this amazing ability to look at all the pieces and bring them together to make them something truly amazing.

I don't have any problems with the music, i think most of it is really good.

I didn't really care that there weren't any characters that feelings for eachother.

i do agree with the 4th, i do tend to not undrstand what's going on.

i didn't like all of the character voices though, some just didn't really fit the characters.

i actually like ff12 alot, and i think it's a better final fantasy than 7,8 and 10 since i don't like 7 & 8 and don't really like 10 that much.
    Kya Dark Lineage forum
    http://z7.invisionfree.com/Kya_Dark_Lineage
    Suikoden & chrono series forum
    http://s6.zetaboards.com/Suikocross/