Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you speak Al Bhed? I wanna Learn :)

Default Do you speak Al Bhed? I wanna Learn :)

who's fluent eh?

Cudos to Polaris for the Sig
    "Your eyes can be so cruel, Just as I can be so cruel."

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I use a web page to translate it
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

As do I. It's fun to converse online, but I couldn't pronounce Al Bhed to save my life. And I tried a couple of times.

I made my own program to translate it, cos I ain't, nor do I want to be!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

E lyh doba eh Al Bhed, pid E lyh'd cbayg dra myhkiyka.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

TACITACITACITACITACITACITACITACITACITACITACITACITACITACITACI!!!!

Here's a quick Al Bhed lesson for you.

Code:

English > Al Bhed
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    YPLTAVKREZGMSHUBXNCDIJQOW
    Code:

Al > Bhed
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    EPSTIWKNUVGCLRYBXHMDOFQAJ
    Some key words such as proper nouns and others do not translate:
    EXAMPLES:
    Besaid Island
    Tidus
    fiend

While some sites will give you a "pronunciation", these rules tend to follow rules from the Japanese > Al Bhed cipher.

Example:
    Tu oui cbayg Al Bhed?
    (Do you speak Al Bhed?)

How it sounds when used in the game:
    Tu wee k'BAYG Al Bhed?

How some sites may instruct you to pronounce it:
    TAY-oo oh-oo-ee ku-BAY-ah-HAY-gay Al Bhed?

Which ever you prefer to use is fine. The speech in the game doesn't use the second example, rather sticking to the first. I choose to use the first also.

Some ways you may practice would be to obviously first memorize the cipher, that way you know how to translate all words. But, don't try to learn the cipher alone. Eventually try to learn the words as words just like if you were to study another language. Don't think of the word "example" as "E-X-A-M-P-L-E" goes to "A-Q-Y-S-B-M-A", try to think of it as the the word "aqysbma".

That's all for now. Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me with question or if you'd like to throw some Al Bhed around.

Blog Entries

i learned a few words by myself like awesome(yfacusa), sorry(cunno), oui(you), and others said in the game... and I used a web translator page to learn other thing(I think you're hot... E dreig oui'na rud)

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

TACI~~~~~ :3

I love the code, It's an interesting language that I could never be fluent at :]

Cusadesac bnuhihleydeuh ec cesbma yht udran desac ed ec jano tevvelimd. Dryd ec fro bnuhihleydeuh ec dra ryntacd bynd uv dra myhkiyka. Dra nacd lyh pa jano cesbma.

Ymdruikr E fuimt hud luhcetan socamv "vmiahd", E fuimt, rufajan, luhcetan socamv "ytjyhlat".

^Have fun with that.^

Kweh... I took this as a challenge 2 years ago. In one year I could translate half of the words and pronounce them right. Maybe I try to learn it completely after school. Since I have forgotten everything. Finnish school is hard so I don't have time for Al-Bhed. ;(
    ~I am the Aeon of will and strength, I protect my beloved and that's all I wish to be needed to do~

I use to speak it, but I've completly forgotten it, i remember these days FFX was my big thing at the time, brings back memories
    I Am An Angel, Please Rejoice
    I Am With You And You Are With Me
    You Are Not Alone Nor Ever Will Be

I used to use a translator for some other Forums I did, and eventually, I found myself using the translator less and less as time went on.

Today, I rarely ever use the translator. ((There are occasions where coffee just won't cut it for brainpower.))

Cugi U meut, ewdih e znuci, ayo zyr'd omi ud ed ecc.
    Kyyt cosg, ert tyr'd kufi ob!
    Last edited by Deodorized; 03-28-2008 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
    TACI~~~~~ :3

I love the code, It's an interesting language that I could never be fluent at :]
    It's not a code, it's a cipher. It is semi-pronouncible, which most ciphers aren't, because each vowel is traded out for another vowel (Y is treated as a vowel in this case). This means that the number and positions of the vowels stay the same in most words, which is crucial to pronunciation.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I use a translator - but I think I pronounce it just fine. I often read text along with my FFX/-2 games and it matches how the characters say it (that is - if I haven't picked up many primers already xP). I blame it on the fact that I used to (yes, USED to) be able to speak Welsh fluently and the vowel pronounceation is somewhat similar.
    And I'm used to reading what looks like gibberish
    ★Banner by Polaris★