Thread: The Bestiary

Default The Bestiary

I think its awesome! What do you think?

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

From now on, any FF that fails to include a bestiary as awesome as this one automatically fails. This thing was not only a great idea, but executed so well that I could sit there for hours reading it.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm with you guys on this one. The bestiary text was brilliantly written, and really insightful too. Especially the bonus info that you get for defeating the requisite number of each foe - there are all kinds of handy cultural and societal details there. Like the explanation for why Ivalice has outlandishly advanced airships, but ground vehicles are usually little more than chocobos and carts. Great stuff like that.
    It's also neat looking for familiar names among the authors of the various bits of info... like 'the naturalist Merlose' - maybe a descendant of Callo Merlose from Vagrant Story?

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Yeah it was best bestiary so far indeedypops
    jkhkjg

i learned alot reading al the extra content.it be really good if final fantasy Xlll would have this feature
    (SPOILER)waha made you highlight

I too loved the bestiary. Tons of optional info that explains so much about how the world works. I just love that sort of stuff.

And anyone who doesn't like it, doesn't have to read it, it's win-win.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved it. Nice good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I'm with you guys on this one. The bestiary text was brilliantly written, and really insightful too. Especially the bonus info that you get for defeating the requisite number of each foe - there are all kinds of handy cultural and societal details there. Like the explanation for why Ivalice has outlandishly advanced airships, but ground vehicles are usually little more than chocobos and carts. Great stuff like that.
    It's also neat looking for familiar names among the authors of the various bits of info... like 'the naturalist Merlose' - maybe a descendant of Callo Merlose from Vagrant Story?
    Oooh...I think I missed that. Im still in the process of reading it. Could you explain? Is it to do with those bug things that ruin metal working on the ground? Thats the only thing I can think of.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post

Oooh...I think I missed that. Im still in the process of reading it. Could you explain? Is it to do with those bug things that ruin metal working on the ground? Thats the only thing I can think of.
    I don't remember precisely, since it's been a while, but it goes something like this:
    The explanation is that there's a kind of slightly corrosive vapor that occurs naturally, emerging from the ground and possibly a by-product of Mist. This is harmless to living things, and doesn't affect metal or structures, but in the long-term it plays hell with machinery of any kind. It only appears at low altitudes, though, so airships are virtually immune.

^Oh, cool. Maybe Ill come across it eventually in the Bestiary.

clicky clicky clicky

Articles
    Blog Entries

I thought it was really well done. It's like an added incentive to go out and fight each type of monster.

Although some items were more interesting than others, and in RPGs I feel it's always better to show the player something rather than tell them.

I loved it although i would prefer it if it was 3D (like in X-2).