Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coallition Against Reality TV Executive Money Monglers

*insert response about how all TV is crap and an elitist spiel about how America is full of idiots*

I've met literal geniuses who adore I Love New York and that Tila Tequila show. Whatever entertains you is your preference. I don't see why people love to talk so much about how bad certain music/movies/television/books are when they could spend that time talking about things they like with others who like them.
    What I've been listening to:

My argument is that it's mindless and contributes nothing to the furtherment of mankind as a species. A decade of entertainment, wasted on making rich people richer. The movie industry has undergone a similar problem. I expected it to die out in a few years while it seems to just keep getting momentum. Every three or four years we have a game show craze. In ten years no one is going to care who won Flavour of Love 2.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Thompson View Post
    My argument is that it's mindless and contributes nothing to the furtherment of mankind as a species.
    So what? Hardly any TV does. Stupid argument, tbh.

I'd take an amusing reality TV show like Dog the Bounty Hunter over soap opera drivel any day of the week.

Dog the bounter is GONE. Yep, his show is GONE. BOOYA. Man, that guy was a mega douche. I watched half an episode of that show and will never watch again...

I can't believe you'd rather watch Dogg over say 24, Lost or even CSI (which I don't like).

My most hated reality show right now is 'Intervention'. Talk about some sick entertainment. I love twisted and dark stuff butt his is just messed. Publicly displaying people at their worst, making a spectacle of drug/alcohol addiction. I don't find people crying/killing away their problems entertaining in the least.

I can mark the beginning of the end of good television with the premier of Survivor. Yes, there were reality shows before that, but America wasn't obsessesed over them. Networks hadn't yet realized that television doesn't have to be good to get people to watch. I mean, why should they spend all sorts of money on good writing, producing, directing, acting, etc. for a show that might be good when they can spend practically nothing and be assured that everyone's going to watch it? The problem is not with them, it's with us. We've proven Americans will watch whatever's on television just because it's on. Why should they put money and work into quality shows if we'll watch whatever crap they churn out?

Since reality shows took over, sitcoms (the backbone of primetime television) have more or less died and there's hardly any crap worth watching anymore. Fortunately, thanks to the invention of the DVR, I don't have to watch commercials anymore. I record the few good shows that are actually on television and skip past the commercials. I'll be damned if I'm going to reward the behavior of making all TV crap by allowing myself to be subjected to commercials (which, by the way, are also crap, though they always have been).

Seriously, I could go on all day about the death of good television at the hand of reality shows, but you've heard a couple of my better points. The solution? Change the channel or turn the TV off. If no one watches crap, they take it off the air for new crap. Eventually they'll see no one wants crap and put real TV back on the tube again.