Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 + 1/2 On-Rail Shooters for the Wii in a row? Woah.

Blog Entries

Default 2 + 1/2 On-Rail Shooters for the Wii in a row? Woah.

I've noticed that the Wii seems to be getting some attention in the On-Rail Shooting department as of late, with Ghost Squad, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, and the Arcade Mode of Medal of Honor Heroes 2. I understand that the Wii lends itself to that kind of thing, but the fact that all 3 of them are coming out in November (In the US, anyway. Ghost Squad in EU comes out in December, and Resident Evil: UC comes out in December for Australia.) is somewhat shocking to me.

Does anyone else find this abundance of on-rail-age shocking?

I thought you meant proper rail shooters. Those are all lightgun games.

This thread is a disappointment.
    Last edited by Maxico; 11-03-2007 at 04:54 PM.
    Word/s.

Blog Entries

What do you mean "Proper"? I always figured an On-Rail shooter was a shooter in which your character moved by themselves, as though they are on-rails. Though, it is also true that they can be considered light-gun games, since the controller used is essentially a light-gun.

I guess it's technically a shooting game in which you move on rails.

I always considered rail shooters to be games like Panzer Dragoon, Star Fox, Space Harrier and such, which are pretty different.
    Word/s.

I think the Crossbow Training game that comes with the Zapper has rail shooting bits, if you want to add another half. :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxico View Post
    I guess it's technically a shooting game in which you move on rails.

I always considered rail shooters to be games like Panzer Dragoon, Star Fox, Space Harrier and such, which are pretty different.
    I normally just called those Space Shooters. Though, Panzer Dragoon is definitely NOT in space.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    I normally just called those Space Shooters. Though, Panzer Dragoon is definitely NOT in space.
    Neither is Space Harrier, go figure I guess.

And in that case, what would you call something like Freespace or other spaceship flying games that probably exist but I wouldn't know the names of?
    Word/s.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought you meant proper rail shooters. Those are all lightgun games.

This thread is a disappointment.
    Lightgun games are on-rail shooters. So are things like Space Harrier and the like. They're all part of that genre.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wouldn't really mind a bombardment of on-rail shooters as long as they're more substantial than the usual arcade affair. The games are fun and the fact that you don't really have to buy any special add-ons for them for the Wii (you could get the zapper but it's not like a necessity) makes it extra convenient. Still, I wouldn't want to shell out $50 for a game that lasts as long as an arcade game.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Time Crisis 3 is the only 'on-rail' shooter (PS2) I have played, unless you count Star Fox, but wouldn't the Wiimote be considered a light gun?
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The Zapper is debuting with Link's Crossbow Training instead of a new Duck Hunt or Wild Gunman because the former allows Nintendo to reuse assets from Twilight Princess at no additional cost. Which shows you how much confidence they must have in the peripheral.

I don't know what that has to do with anything, but I thought I would say. Anyway, what they should really be working on shooter-wise is a proper successor to Star Fox 64.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    The Zapper is debuting with Link's Crossbow Training instead of a new Duck Hunt or Wild Gunman because the former allows Nintendo to reuse assets from Twilight Princess at no additional cost. Which shows you how much confidence they must have in the peripheral.

I don't know what that has to do with anything, but I thought I would say. Anyway, what they should really be working on shooter-wise is a proper successor to Star Fox 64.
    If they could do that with online co-op I would cream.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The Panzer Dragoon series should make its way to the Virtual Console imho.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    Neither is Space Harrier, go figure I guess.

And in that case, what would you call something like Freespace or other spaceship flying games that probably exist but I wouldn't know the names of?
    Space-Shooters, I guess. But now, IMOmilf has shown us the error of our ways.

On-Rail shooters have no more place in our society anymore. They cannot evolve into anything more than what they are now. The tacky Wii Zapper isnt doing the genre any favours, a real light gun is the only way to go.

Either they make sequels to Rez and Panzer Dragoon Orta or they should make nothing, basically.