Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Scholar was introduced originally in FFIII, right? I wonder if this means that some time in the future we might see Viking as a possibility. Perhaps Viking might be configured as another option to fulfill the role of tank. It's certainly about time we get some more options to fulfill that role.
    Vikings used axes and their special ability was Provoke. Sound like any other familiar job...

I've not played this game for very long. Can someone please tell me why WAR isn't a good option for tank?
    Because people are stupid.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Does anyone have any information about this job class from a translated source? The opening post only contains garbled text from Babelfish.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I've not played this game for very long. Can someone please tell me why WAR isn't a good option for tank?
    Most warriors would rather the idea of dual-wielding axes and swords, or two-handed weapons of mass destruction! I know I do as a warrior (but that's because I am a paladin as well). I guess if you load up on heaps of enmity gear (which is not hard for a warrior to do, most of it is in their artefact armour), and sported a shield then it can be easily done.

Though, most people will only invite the stereotypical tanks to do the job. Such as Paladin and Ninja.

Anyway, that is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    Does anyone have any information about this job class from a translated source? The opening post only contains garbled text from Babelfish.
    Well, here's a bit. There's probably more around that website.
    Last edited by Rostum; 11-05-2007 at 10:39 PM.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Here is a good source for some info on Scholar. I think the only thing that doesn't mention is that they will get an ability that lets them turn some spells into AoE (Gravity turned into Graviga was the example I saw).

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

I so want to sub scholar to RDM. That's gonna be clutch. <3

That's the same way I feel. RDM/SCH seems interesting.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

I suppose its effectiveness really depends on how readily one is able to switch between black and white grimoires. I mean, in my experience way-back-when, I was generally relegated to either the main healer or pseudo-nuker in the party, so grimoire switches for such purposes would definitely be limited. However, either way the RDM always ends up trying to land enfeebles. Hopefully the stacking of the JAs will allow the switches to be frequent enough that the effectiveness of certain enfeebles don't take heavy penalties because you can't switch to the appropriate grimoire.

Black Grimoire will boost enfeebling skill, so we won't have to switch between grimoires for different spells. We know this because in the info in the link I posted before, it said that Black grimoire could be used to help a WHM stick Paralyze and use Drain/Aspir more effectively when subbing Scholar (this also leads me to believe Scholar will have access to those two spells).

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Scholar can be the new Tank~ :3

The reason WAR sucks as tank is because development has left them there.

First there were NINs starting to tank and blink tanking was all the rage because it was the safest way to go. PLDs got butthurt and cried. SE buffed the crap out of them consistently and now they are decent, but still go /NIN half the time and use other enmity generating moves to keep hate while being able to not only take hits, heal themselves, etc., but also blink away a good portion of damage.

The problem with WARs now (and for a while) is that when NIN showed up on the scene, SE went with it. They ramped up the difficulty on newer "endgame" content. It began to almost require blink tanking. They tried to balance it with a few things that can't be blinked very well (Jailer of Faith comes to mind), but they still really need uber blood tanks... and there's no better pure blood tank than PLD.

WAR doesn't have the evasion to get the most out of /NIN, doesn't have the healing or Def of a PLD, and unlike PLD (and NIN for the most part) can put out big numbers in damage. So WAR is just better at damage because of the way the game got designed after NINs showed up on the tanking scene and PLDs got all buff.

MNK suffers in much the same way. They have even worse Def even though they have a ton of HP. FFXI just doesn't do well with blood tanks in general and SE doesn't even pretend to try to make WAR a viable tank now considering how incredibly better PLD is at generating and holding hate on top of everything else.

I played both DNC and SCH today. SCH was very interesting. With Light Arts up, the cost of Cure IV was 80 mp instead of 88, but with Dark Arts up, the cost was 106 mp. Also, the abilities that let you cast a single target spell as an AoE spell double the casting time and triple the mp cost. They got access to Regen II, but not Dia II or Bio II (Note: the characters we got to play with were level 60). Before today, I was looking forward to SCH the most, but now, I want to play DNC again. DNCs even get a movement speed + dance and an AoE Sneak and Invis dance.