7 33.33%
  • Oblivion!

8 38.10%
  • I can't decide, damn it! It's a tie!

6 28.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OBLIVION V.S. MORROWIND

Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post
    Oblivion, simply because of the better casting system, better trading system, a way better melee system, sneaking is actually fun and the recorded dialogues. I didn't like the fact that you could auto-travel though. The 2nd Morrowind expansion was great though.
    Yes, I agree with those points. The biggest thing Oblivion has going for it is the ease of play, and the matured combat, magic, trading, sneaking, speechcraft, lock-picking systems etc. The world also felt more life-like with the dialogs, though there should have been more than one voice actor/actress for each race. The voices just weren't varied enough, though the acting itself was, on the whole, pretty good.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Vagrant Story? Victoria's Secret? What?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

better trading system
    In Oblivion? You sure? I've never met anyone who said that before. To each their own though!

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    better trading system
    In Oblivion? You sure? I've never met anyone who said that before. To each their own though!
    Well it's true that you can get more cash for your traded loot in Morrowind - usually you can fool the witless store owners into giving you more money if you're selling them a lot of items at once. The problem I had with it was firstly, I became addicted to reloading to try to gain more and more money because what the store owner will or won't accept as an offer is random, which became an annoying obsession. Secondly, the fact that store owners ran out of money was more realistic, but more annoying - waiting for 24 hours just to get rid of all your encumbrance is a PITA . Finally, using speechcraft on store owners was generally waaay more difficult - even with a high speechcraft level there was a chance that admiration would have hugely negative consequences to his or her disposition.

In Oblivion all of that is fixed - you might not get as much of a good deal when trading lots of booty, but the annoyances of the past system were gone.

better trading system
    I think that it's hard to beat a system that forces you to exchange a sword for a (comparatively) tiny sum in gold and 20 other items of lesser quality, then spend a day waiting, then sell those items individually to the same trader with daily intervals between each sale. I disagree Vincent, it's not realistic, it's just bloody annoying. In all honesty, it was by far the worst trading system I've ever seen in an all my years of RPGing.

And meh, I've never met anyone who said anything at all about a trading system in Oblivion. Does it automatically make it bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    Well it's true that you can get more cash for your traded loot in Morrowind - usually you can fool the witless store owners into giving you more money if you're selling them a lot of items at once. The problem I had with it was firstly, I became addicted to reloading to try to gain more and more money because what the store owner will or won't accept as an offer is random, which became an annoying obsession. Secondly, the fact that store owners ran out of money was more realistic, but more annoying - waiting for 24 hours just to get rid of all your encumbrance is a PITA . Finally, using speechcraft on store owners was generally waaay more difficult - even with a high speechcraft level there was a chance that admiration would have hugely negative consequences to his or her disposition.
    WHat that was random? the beginning of my formula for the ultimate character was always high mercantile/speechcraft and use the multiple item glitch to buy/sell massive amounts of arrows to raise the skills and get money...it seemed pretty predictable to me what was a good deal and what wasn't...it seemed based on a percentage, and the best way to discover this was to take something advertised as costing 10 netch skins and tweaking it to see what you could get away with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexicon View Post
    WHat that was random? the beginning of my formula for the ultimate character was always high mercantile/speechcraft and use the multiple item glitch to buy/sell massive amounts of arrows to raise the skills and get money...it seemed pretty predictable to me what was a good deal and what wasn't...it seemed based on a percentage, and the best way to discover this was to take something advertised as costing 10 netch skins and tweaking it to see what you could get away with.
    Well heres' an example -

I'm selling a sword. I offer to sell it for a total of 399 gold. The seller refuses.

I load my save, offer the same amount for the same sword, and he accepts.

What you can and can't get away with differs.

But in Oblivion, since the exact percentage and price is predetermined, there's none of that randomness.

I doubt that I'd have the patience to go through all of that.

Cheers to Polaris for the set!

Final Fantasy's completed: I, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

Quote Originally Posted by James Leopold View Post
    I doubt that I'd have the patience to go through all of that.
    Chock it up to my perfectionism. :rolleyes2

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

better trading system

In Oblivion all of that is fixed - you might not get as much of a good deal when trading lots of booty, but the annoyances of the past system were gone.
    Actually now that I think about it you're right. That did get annoying. So much so that I filled the game with mods that reduced the problems greatly, which is why I now think that it had an awesome system!

Actually now that I think about it you're right. That did get annoying. So much so that I filled the game with mods that reduced the problems greatly, which is why I now think that it had an awesome system!
    May I ask what mods you used so that I may also be able to avoid those annoyances? I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Vincent, Thunder God; 11-07-2007 at 03:26 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The reasons that I enjoyed Morrowind more are as follows...

1) The biggest reason would have to be the levelling system for enemies. Having never faced an Oblivion enemy that I couldn't beat, I found it terrible. What's the point? There's no area that you can go to where you start to feel a little worried that you're going to die. You just kill. That's about it. You can't think "Yay, I beat one of these monsters, finally!" or "You know what, I think I can take on this slightly harder mission." It was all so very same-old, same-old throughout. I never really felt that bothered no matter who I was facing. Some guys took a couple of attempts but I didn't really gain much when levelling.

2) The setting. The Morrowind world is so much more varied and that made exploration a lot more fun.

Actually, those two things are what cut the mustard for me. I really enjoyed Oblivion for a while, but it got boring and that's not good. It got boring because every fight felt the same in the end. No good, I say! I know there are probably mods to fix such things, but I personally prefer to have the game being a good one when I install it, not requiring me to source out decent mods and throw them in.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    The reasons that I enjoyed Morrowind more are as follows...

1) The biggest reason would have to be the levelling system for enemies. Having never faced an Oblivion enemy that I couldn't beat, I found it terrible. What's the point? There's no area that you can go to where you start to feel a little worried that you're going to die. You just kill. That's about it. You can't think "Yay, I beat one of these monsters, finally!" or "You know what, I think I can take on this slightly harder mission." It was all so very same-old, same-old throughout. I never really felt that bothered no matter who I was facing. Some guys took a couple of attempts but I didn't really gain much when levelling.

2) The setting. The Morrowind world is so much more varied and that made exploration a lot more fun.

Actually, those two things are what cut the mustard for me. I really enjoyed Oblivion for a while, but it got boring and that's not good. It got boring because every fight felt the same in the end. No good, I say! I know there are probably mods to fix such things, but I personally prefer to have the game being a good one when I install it, not requiring me to source out decent mods and throw them in.
    Yes, I agree. When I started playing Oblivion, I was sure it was superior to Morrowind - but there was a point when exploring wasn't fun anymore, that the enemies felt really repetitive, the quests almost always involved a cave nearly identical to the previous ones - and it was at that point, about 80-90 hours into the game, that I became bored.

Morrowind hasn't gotten boring to me yet, and I'm sure I've played it longer than Oblivion. For that reason and that reason alone, I'm tempted to go back on my word and say that Morrowind is superior. It has some inconveniences that Oblivion improved upon, but overall it's much more varied in design, gameplay etc.

One thing I'd like to add is that I think Morrowind had more detail - it's graphics may be weaker than Oblivion's, but if you walk into a room, it strikes you how many items are laid out on tables, stacked in shelves, etc. Oblivion had tons of barrels which were often stocked with the same few, worthless items, but rarely were there so many items laid out visibly. Morrowind had a lot fewer chests that were a lot fuller as well, and much less worthless items, which avoids the annoyance of sifting through tons of junk.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

The character creation in Morrowind was so much more breezy instead of dragged-on like Oblivion.

I just liked to get into the adventuring straight when I began a new character.

I must admit though, Oblivion has spectacular music (atmosphere_07 is one to mention :3).

True, Oblivions enemy level scaling was a pain. I hate it.