Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiplayer Games

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Multiplayer Games

Danielle and I love gaming, and prefer to game together (We each have a high-end gaming PC). The problem is that it seems every game is either one of the following...

1) An MMORPG that requires you to spend hours every day consistently improving your character in order to keep up with all your friends that you join the clan of. eg. Ragnarok Online (admittedly the last MMORPG I bothered to play).

2) They are turn based and, even if using simultaneous turns, require a lot of waiting for another person if they happen to have bucketloads to do. eg. Civilization IV

3) They are scenario based games where you play the same map over and over and over. eg. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

So, is there any multiplayer game out there that can at least come close to allowing us to play on-and-off without ending up miles behind our friends (should it be an online game), doesn't have us playing the same small map over and over with the same goals every time and isn't turn based? We enjoy a pretty large variety of gaming styles, although RPG is probably our preferred option.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Guild wars is a no monthly fee MMO, also casual, no grinding. Dan plays sometimes ! it's very pretty and lots to do!

You could always try Frontline:Fuels of War, coming out at the end of January. Theres a large map and diff types of obj that you take to move the fighting line further up.
    It looks like the ground had a sex change.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's a lot of online FPS games with custom maps (I'm assuming the ET server you played on only had the default maps). Nexuiz, Counter-Strike: Source or 1.6, and so on.

Warzone 2100 is a real-time strategy game that's free. I can't speak much for commercial RTS games because I don't play them often. Medieval: Total War and Rome: Total War are supposed to be really good.

But really if you don't want to potentially play the same maps over and over or have a game that requires you dedicate a lot of time to, you've pretty much nixed most online multiplayer games beyond Yahoo games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu View Post
    There's a lot of online FPS games with custom maps (I'm assuming the ET server you played on only had the default maps). Nexuiz, Counter-Strike: Source or 1.6, and so on.
    I think I'm done with ET for now. The FPS custom maps tend to still end up being the same-old same-old, I've noticed. Once you get through the good ones and you're bored of them, you have to go for sub-par ones. Maybe that's just me, though.
    Warzone 2100 is a real-time strategy game that's free. I can't speak much for commercial RTS games because I don't play them often. Medieval: Total War and Rome: Total War are supposed to be really good.
    I actually have Warzone 2100 for PC and for the Playstation. xD Not Danielle's style, though, really. She doesn't mind the odd game of Warcraft III though.
    But really if you don't want to potentially play the same maps over and over or have a game that requires you dedicate a lot of time to, you've pretty much nixed most online multiplayer games beyond Yahoo games.
    I'm gettin' that feeling, yeah. I think I might give in to Guild Wars just to see how it goes, but I dunno.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

We should play Civ 4 sometime seeing as I finally got it.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I'm gettin' that feeling, yeah. I think I might give in to Guild Wars just to see how it goes, but I dunno.
    I was thinking after I posted that (I didn't see Bert's post) that GW is good for casual playing. The level cap is 20, so it doesn't really take power levelling to reach that, and if you're gonna play you can just play like a mission or a quest at a time. The worst part is organizing a party, but if you have a good guild or group of friends to play with that's made a lot less painful.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I just read about the level cap thing, should make life easier for us indeed. =]

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    We should play Civ 4 sometime seeing as I finally got it.
    Ooh, that could be fun. We should get a massive game with loads of people going someday.

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I've been thinking about Guild Wars for about a year because some irl friends wanted to play, but we never got around to it and I never actually bought the game.

If you guys decide to play it, let me know. Would like to join in since I never got around to playing that other game... um... what was it? I downloaded it and everything.

Blog Entries

Or hey BoB what about Hell Gate London? I'm thinking about picking that up.

or the game Fury looks good!

Guild Wars is over 2 years old, there's not going to be any more exspansions and the Areana net team is working on Guild Wars 2 now. So It might be a bad idea to check out one of these two games as the seem to both have come out in int eh last month of so. And both don't require a subscription.

Fury is looking VERY good to me.
    Last edited by escobert; 11-06-2007 at 07:24 AM.

D&D when 4th edition comes out.

Blog Entries

Well, if we're limited to PC games here, then I agree that Guild Wars is a good choice. It's a very casual game, is online, can play with other people, etc.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Or hey BoB what about Hell Gate London? I'm thinking about picking that up.

or the game Fury looks good!

Guild Wars is over 2 years old, there's not going to be any more exspansions and the Areana net team is working on Guild Wars 2 now. So It might be a bad idea to check out one of these two games as the seem to both have come out in int eh last month of so. And both don't require a subscription.

Fury is looking VERY good to me.
    Yeah, but will they have level caps so you can easily play as a casual gamer instead of having to log in every day just to keep up with the masses? D=

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

We only have PCs and a PS2.