Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So this Writer's Guild strike

Unhappy So this Writer's Guild strike

Raineesha Williams says: "BAM!"

I guess if things don't get resolved by November 4th they're gonna go through with it. If they do, December 3rd will mark Heroes' season finale, LOST will be all unfinished, and no more Daily Show n' such Talk about fudging T.V. up. On the other hand, I always did think writers in anything that isn't a book get too little credit.

Last night on SNL they went into some detail about the strike. Now who will write the storyline for Tila Tequilla?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

While it is a bummer that many shows will suffer from this, I definitely agree that writers in media other than literature get too little credit for their work. More often than not, it's not their names that get printed in big letter's like an author's does on his book. Hopefully the effects of the strike will have enough of an impact on the producers and the problems can be resolved quickly.

The only show I'm really concerned about is Lost, and that luckily has 14 out of the 16 episodes completed for this season, which is much more than most shows. Hopefully they'll be able to wrap up the last few episodes without the regular writers if necessary.

It's true that writers of TV don't get enough credit - they never have, and they should. Writers create what we watch - without them, there's no show. Good directing and acting doesn't mean a thing if the story isn't interesting.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am concerned about BSG. I don't care how I get my BSG. I need it is all I know.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Check out this site to see the status of some of the shows in terms of how many scripts/shows have been completed.

So a bunch of the shows, like BSG have already banged out quite a few episodes. Enough to last a little while at least. And hopefully the strike (should it go forward) will end before all those episodes air.

And even if the strike doesn't end quickly, shows with established fan bases like Lost and BSG will most likely only be delayed and will pick up again once the strike ends. The shows that might really suffer are the shows that are newer and don't have that strong fan base just yet. Shows like Pushing Daisies might just die out cause of the strike. And for that, I would hate the writers forever, even if they are striking for the right reasons.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

With any luck, this strike will just mean a hiatus rather than the deaths of any shows people care about.

The last strike was nearly 20 years ago, wasn't it? That one didn't turn out too bad - after all, those were the days of the televisual masterpiece that is Star Trek: The Next Generation. During the strike, they just adapted some scripts from the 'phase 2' TV series that almost began in the late 1970s, but was canned in favour of the first movie.

Just because the professional writers go on strike, doesn't mean it's the end of creativity

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    I am concerned about BSG. I don't care how I get my BSG. I need it is all I know.
    At Dragon*Con this year the stars mentioned some rumblings that Sci-fi was going to split this next season into 10 episodes to air this year, and 10 episodes to air in 2009. I thought it sounded pretty far-fetched and didn't think it would end up happening, but the with the link Miriel posted saying they've only done 10 episodes, it's a bit suspicious. If they delay, split up, or otherwise tamper with Battlestar I will be seriously pissed.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think some book I read a while back gave me the impression that the WGA is filled with shysters, though I don't know the economics of this situation well enough to really comment.

I guess the more accurate assumption would be that all of Hollywood is shysters batteling over the same buck. At the consumer's expense

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    At Dragon*Con this year the stars mentioned some rumblings that Sci-fi was going to split this next season into 10 episodes to air this year, and 10 episodes to air in 2009. I thought it sounded pretty far-fetched and didn't think it would end up happening, but the with the link Miriel posted saying they've only done 10 episodes, it's a bit suspicious. If they delay, split up, or otherwise tamper with Battlestar I will be seriously pissed.
    I'm afraid that as far as I know, that particular rumor is fairly well corroborated D: However, if so then the strike isn't likely to disrupt BSG because the 10 episodes for '08, in that case, already exist.

Thanks for that link Miriel, it's helpful to me. :3 Jericho's episodes exist, good, show's barely hung on and got those and the strike could have decimated it.

Good for them.

But I better get more Pushing Daisies when they get back.

Stupid spoiled idiots. They make enough damn money, they don't need more. Let em go on strike and when they can't find a job and are broke then they'll come crying back to the studios.

BSG looks a little dubious, which is bad, bad, bad. However, The Shield is finished, so I'll have my final dose before that most awesome of programmes bows out.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
    Stupid spoiled idiots. They make enough damn money, they don't need more. Let em go on strike and when they can't find a job and are broke then they'll come crying back to the studios.
    Are we talking about the actors or the writers now? Writers are in no way spoiled for a profession that does a lot of the donkey-work and get little credit for it all. I wish them luck in their strike.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I heard that they have officially gone on strike now. From what I read they are trying to get a share of future internet earnings which studios don't want to dish out because they don't know how profitable that market will be. The article in question said the writers get $0.03 for every DVD sold which is a rip off for them. They want a better deal there and in the future market because they have learned their lesson from the DVD thing. Also digital television rights and stuff.

This is all about the $$$ and nothing else.