Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beowulf.

Just saw a new trailer for this, and it looks even worse than it did at first. Anyone who watches this based on the CG, either have no taste or will be extremely disappointed. It would have looked much better with real actors (it was perfect in 300, I don't know why they are changing from that).

Hate to say it, but they have completely wasted their time with trying to make realistic graphics, rather than something that is far more stylized with realistic lighting and shading.

There is a very good reason as to why Pixar (animation/3D genius's) do not aim for realistic art direction.

From the sounds of it, Beowulf probably isn't that great of a story to do a movie on, but I can see it doing well enough.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

My friends have brought up the prospect of going to see it, I may or may not, depending on how much money I left over after hitting the mall tomorrow.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Germ Hamee View Post
    It's Neil Gaiman. I don't even need to see a trailer to tell you I'll be there. Nevermind the fact that I did see a trailer, and am equally dismayed by the visuals as most of you, but I'm seeing it anyway.
    I was wondering when someone would mention Neil Gaiman. I think the art direction is complete crap and based on the trailers (which tell us nothing of how the story will actually turn out) wouldn't want to see it in a million years. That said though; Neil Gaiman is a genius and more than enough of a reason for me to see it.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I couldn't be any less interested in seeing the movie to be completely honest.

I just got back from seeing it. The visuals are very hit and miss, but they did a great job with Grendel. I still don't understand why they thought CG would be better than live action, but meh. I got over it.

Other than the art direction, it was a really good movie. It was a fun spin on the original poem, and had a little bit of everything. Especially naked people. My goodness, I haven't seen so many CG butts in my life.

Yeah I really liked it, and I thought I would, but as you said the CG at times looked incredibly realistic (old people's faces) but other times (young people's faces) looked like...spirits within, which was awesome back then...

I do like the more personal twists to the story, it was all tied together quite well.

It looks smurfing amazing. I'll definitely try to see it.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

My dad took me for free. I thought it was going to complete , especially with the CGI motion capture. It was more dramatic than I was expecting which was good and bad. Grendel was awesome the effects in parts were amazing. I would have liked to see the 3-D version, knowing that some shots were there solely for use of 3-D it cheapened the movie experience.

I can't believe how they were able to transform Ray Winstone. WOW!

Does Ray winstone put on that stupid voice through the whole thing? if so i might not bother.
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche

Blood and gore! Reason enough to watch it.

Stupid question: Does anybody know where the theme (trailer starting from 1:10 onwards) comes from? I sounds an awful lot like 28 Days Later theme.
    Last edited by Discord; 11-19-2007 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blim View Post
    Does Ray winstone put on that stupid voice through the whole thing? if so i might not bother.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexicon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blim View Post
    ?
    Well, ive only seen the trailer and when he says "i am Beowolf and i have come to kill your monster" or whatever he says it sounds really weird.
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche

He does alter his accent slightly, though I'm not sure how they 'know' what kind of accent a Geat would have...meh it didn't sound like THAT throughout.

OMG! It is the same melody! It even sounds like the same recording with drums added. Compare:

Beowulf trailer

28 Days Later track

Hrm... any chance that it's not originally from 28 Days Later. *get this stupid feeling of not knowing something everybody else does*
    Last edited by Discord; 11-19-2007 at 11:37 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Ok, I just have to say. It makes me physically CRINGE when that dude says "I am BEOWULF!!" in the commercial. The way he expels the word "beowulf" really annoys me.
    "I *short breathe* am *short breathe* Beowulf!"

This movie looks like absolute and every time I see the commercial I want to throw my dinner at the television in disapproval. I don't know what the hell was rammed up their ass when they got the idea of putting a whole movie in CG and then ripping the hell out of 300.
    "I am Beowulf!!"
    "This is Sparta!!"

The second one wins and the first one sucks and it's lame.