Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Beowulf.

hahahah

Don't prejudge it because of a poorly chosen scene in an ad...there have been other 'this is sparta' moments throughout history, i'm sure of it...

/looks for more.

I'm surprised there's so much anti-CG style. This goes right back to the attitude that all American animation must be for children. I support them making a 3-D animated movie aimed directly at adults. Except for the idea that the animation itself just doesn't look good, which is a fine enough opinion as any.

That said I don't think it looks very interesting, but when it comes out on DVD I'll probly see it.

Meh, strangely enough I think Spirits Within looked to a certain degree better and that was, what, 5 years ago? At least from what I can see from the preview the animations look more like Shrek than 300. I am optimistic when it comes to story though. It's hard to make it worse than "This is Sparta" in that regard.

I'm growing bored with people judging this movie on how it looks. Get over it. I've seen plenty of awesome movies that had terrible art direction. Spirits Within had considerably better CG and was a much worse movie.

And it's more the trailer trying to cash in on 300 than anything else. Considering the movie was written a few years before anyone had even heard of 300 (the movie, anyway). There's a few epic battle moments in the movie that remind me of it, but 300 is certainly not the first movie to be epic.

Spirits Within was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post
    Spirits Within was awesome.
    Seconded.

no it wasn't
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Genome View Post
    This movie looks like absolute and every time I see the commercial I want to throw my dinner at the television in disapproval. I don't know what the hell was rammed up their ass when they got the idea of putting a whole movie in CG and then ripping the hell out of 300.
    "I am Beowulf!!"
    "This is Sparta!!"
    For starters, I've been told by my history major and english minor fiance that the "I am Beowulf" line is straight out of the original poem, so everyone can quit with the ripping off 300 crap. The trailer may make it seem that way, but I doubt a poem that's hundreds of years old was ripping off a movie released this year.

Anyway, a friend of mine who's opinion on movies I trust implicitly saw it last weekend and told me it was absolutely amazing. Therefore, I will be seeing this this weekend, and will likely enjoy it a great deal.

Also, wierdness factor of a CG Anjelina Jolie aside, I don't think they could have done it with real actors. Real actors with CG monsters has a tendency to look a little cheesie 90% of the time, even when very well done. The best movies mix live actors and CG monsters fairly sparingly, and from what I've heard, it just wouldn't have suited what they did in this movie.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

OMG! It is the same melody! It even sounds like the same recording with drums added. Compare:

Beowulf trailer

28 Days Later track

Hrm... any chance that it's not originally from 28 Days Later. *get this stupid feeling of not knowing something everybody else does*
    Movie trailers often borrow tunes from other films. For example, there's a track from Requiem for a Dream that's often used for epic/action movie trailers, including the theatrical trailer for The Two Towers.

Actual soundtracks may vary.

I plan to read Beowulf someday.
    However, I'm an historical re-enactor in my free time, and I mainly do 10th century Norse. Film-makers' efforts to represent that culture on-screen usually end up making me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    OMG! It is the same melody! It even sounds like the same recording with drums added. Compare:

Beowulf trailer

28 Days Later track

Hrm... any chance that it's not originally from 28 Days Later. *get this stupid feeling of not knowing something everybody else does*
    Movie trailers often borrow tunes from other films. For example, there's a track from Requiem for a Dream that's often used for epic/action movie trailers, including the theatrical trailer for The Two Towers.

Actual soundtracks may vary.

I plan to read Beowulf someday.
    However, I'm an historical re-enactor in my free time, and I mainly do 10th century Norse. Film-makers' efforts to represent that culture on-screen usually end up making me cringe.
    I'll honestly admit that I've never read anything that would even vaguely fit that category, though I can imagine it to be very interesting indeed. But, heh, if you are more or less proficient in any of the subjects discussed, pretty much everything looks stupid in Hollywood films. My father and a good friend of mine are both physicists. Watching Sci-Fi with the two of them (i.e. at the same time) is virtually impossible. I think that most of us would also agree that the hacking also looks rather weird in the cinemas.

good evening, miss Tifa's Real Lover(really's Avatar

so did anyone actually SEE the movie, can they give it a review for me please? might see it on friday

my friends said there was alot of action and no story,

another friend told me there was too much talkin and only 2 min of action

I would probably go play video games or have sex (the usual) - Nominus Experse

my mom would be like "ve? yo te dije, el internet no es bueno."

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz

The movie drags at some parts but I wouldn't say there are only two minutes of action. Let's see, there are one on one fights and larger scale battles, and I would say at least half an hour is devoted to them in total. Yes, there are conversations that set up the story. The action is over the top, but Beowulf is supposed to be an epic hero, so it looks and feels great. I saw the 3-D version but I know I would have enjoyed the normal as well. The animation seems less and less like a gimmick the more you watch it, but still left me feeling like I might have enjoyed it more if it were real actors.

Overall, the story was overhauled to bring everything together, which seemed to work pretty well.

I liked the movie and I recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy or action.

good evening, miss Tifa's Real Lover(really's Avatar

im there for the lots of action bit

I would probably go play video games or have sex (the usual) - Nominus Experse

my mom would be like "ve? yo te dije, el internet no es bueno."

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz