Thread: American Gangster

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default American Gangster

I'm surprised first and foremost that no one has made a thread for this and I've just seen this film Saturday and I can say with no doubt that this is one of the best films ever. I expected the tale to be good, but not this good. The story as you might know is based on a true story depicting life story of the largest American gangster, Frank Lucas. The directors and everyone involved did a great job putting this together, it is a prime example of art. The story is so deep, real, and in touch to real life. It makes you sympathize, cry, and hate. it really makes you think about the society we live in today and the events of the past. Denzel Washington and Russel Crow did excellent on their parts and they are sure to win an oscar when the time comes around. I'm smurfin serious about this if they don't then I'm going to rocket launch the person who opens the envelope. I highly reccommend seeing this film no matter who you are. This is a review by me ~ DM Depression Moon 10/10
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 11-07-2007 at 09:35 PM.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I didn't like it enough to rank it as one of the best movies I've ever seen, but it was really, really good. Denzel Washington and Russel Crowe played their parts very well. The story was long and complex and didn't get boring for an instant. The supporting cast of characters was really strong and overall it was just an extremely well put together package.

Anyone who is a fan of drama, mobster movies, or really, just something to grab your attention for two hours, American Gangster is a great choice. My roommates and I agreed that the worst thing about the movie is probably that it doesn't have the badass music from the trailer in it.

A Lyrical Storm Is Coming TyphoonThaReapa's Avatar

I agree with DM on this one. This movie will win an Oscar no doubt!
    A'yo son, TTR WAS HERE!!!
    (SPOILER)BITCHES

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Yeah I saw it too and I agree it is one of the best movies ever, it's deep and engaging!

Yellow Winged Angel

I wouldn't go overboard and call it one of the greatest movies ever. Hell, I'd say it isn't even the best gangster movie I've seen (Goodfellas or Cidade de Deus for me), but it is still a solid film. Denzel is amazing as usual. Definitely worth the ticket.
    What I've been listening to:

I loved the Hell out of it.

Blows the other gangster classics out of the water, easy.

I love Scorsese, but he's got nothing on American Gangster.

It does look pretty epic, but I generally only go to the theater to see movies with tons of over the top special effects. While I'm sure this one has special effects, I think you all know the stuff I'm talking about. When it's on DVD I'll rent it.

I'm looking forward to seeing it sometime. It looks like it'll be a great movie.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

I loved it. Definately the best movie out of the crop of movies to come out the past couple months, (Well, and Balls of Fury of course).

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I don't know enough about the real Frank Lucas (wikipedia only has a stub-ish article about him) to know whether he sold out all of the drug dealers to save his own hide. I mean it seems like the thing one would do if caught, but my real beef is that the movie treated him like a hero. This man supplied Harlem (it was Harlem right?) with cheap coke for years.

Reminds me of how 'Blow' made the character Johnny Depp played to be a man deserving of our pity. Lulz.

Other than that, I have to mirror most of your comments -- the movie was very well done. I was convinced that Frank Lucas was a good guy and all those crooked police officers should be arrestered and/or killed. Hmm...

*bump*

I saw it tonight. I absolutely loved it. I thought, in addition to the incredible performances by both Washington and Crowe, the movie was so well crafted and so well paced that you didn't feel bored for an instant.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

1. Frank Lucas (SPOILER)should have got more then 15 years in prison.

2. I thought it was interesting how there was the whole story about government conspiracy and corrupt FBI. And how heroin made it to the States.

3. Denzel and Russell are both great actors, but I've seen better from both of them.

4. I squeed when I saw the likes of Common, T.I. and RZA.