Thread: Monk

Default Monk

Is the Monk worth using and training up? just curious. Eventually I want to max out every class, but some will be a priority, while others will be last. Any opinions on the Monk class will be appreciated.

Blog Entries

monk is very good, but isn't nearly as good as some of the others... didnt help much did I

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

The problem with the Monk class, compared to the Black Belt, is it's distinctly lower HP and lack of access to decent armour early on in the game. Really you're better off with a Warrior. In comparison the BB is perhaps the best physical attacker in the game, outclassing even a FEOK in terms of raw damage.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

While a low job level onion knight won't do as much damage, I thought a 99/99 FEOK would do more damage than a 99/99 Black belt?

Monks are ok early on, they have moderate HP growth, not so great armor, and are just a few hairs weaker than black belt in the attack category. I think a BB has 40 or 60 more atk than a monk at j99, but I can't remember.. as I don't have a Monk at 99.

Monks have retaliate which is 2x normal damage counterattack... that can be good if you have lots of attackers attacking your party.

High barehanded attack growth, slightly higher hp growth than classes at his same time of acquisition, low armor, and a 2x counterattack.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantKnight View Post
    While a low job level onion knight won't do as much damage, I thought a 99/99 FEOK would do more damage than a 99/99 Black belt?
    In terms of raw attack power, a FEOK will have an attack power of 312. By comparison a 99/99 Monk has an attack power of 396. Whether or not it equates to more damage in terms of the physical damage formula (which is so long-winded it defies belief) is another matter.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

They just seem to kill a dragon at about the same speed as my black belts did when they were all j99, granted they weren't level 99 though, so I guess they plays into it as well.

Wonder how I could test a 99/99 FEOK vs a 99/99 BB vs a 99/99 Mk

I have 2 FEOKs and 2 OKs with all but gauntlets(wearing crystal). One OK is j50 or so, the rest are j20, it takes a while to level the OK. All characters are level 99. All have j99 BBs. Have a j99 Thief, and a j99 White Mage.

I kinda soloed with one character(luneth) about 10 levels higher than the rest, and then he changed to an OK around level 95 or so, when I was sure HP would hit 9999. The others were still in their 80s.

I'll try to train my OKs and a monk up some more so I can test their damage, but I need to find something with high enough HP to test it against.

I know in the original, a FEOK was miles ahead of every class, I think the swords were 200atk each, and the armor was about double the strength it has in the DS version. Still at 150 per sword, and the defense of the Onion armor being better than crystal and having built-in ribbon makes them slightly overpowered. Basically a Devout, Magus, and Warrior mixed into one class. I don't think they could cast magic in the original though..