Thread: I am so sad...

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Default I am so sad...

...because I never got to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in theaters!

The huge screen!

The loud speakers!

The WOOWOOOOSHSHSHSHSHHHH
    *purdy colorful flashing lights*
    ZAP POWOWWWW!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH!

Now I have to wait until I can see it on my computer or DVD or TV
    so it's like

wheee! i zap yoo!
    ow ;o

ANYWAYZ, what did you all think of it?

Did they do an okay job of adapting it? I heard they left out some pretty important stuff that's gonna give them trouble later!

What did those of you who haven't read the books think of it?

People who read the books always take such offense to adaptations. They seem to forget that it's not the same medium and thus will not be the same. They also forget that while the book is that author's vision straight into your mind, a film is the author's vision re-written for the screen, then interpreted by a director, actors, and cameras. A lot changes a lot of the time.

I loved both the book and the film, but yes there ARE glaring differences and omissions. But I believe they had this in mind for future installments, so any alterations that needed to be made for the future have already been taken into account.

The film did a good job of capturing certain things, but I won't mention them since you have yet to see it.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Just one question!

IS THE SCENE WITH THE FIREWORKS AND THE SWAMP AND THE CHAOS IN THERE?

....I don't want to make you cry.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

*blinks*
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.

The Harry Potter movies have never been able to live up to the books, which are no less than amazing. I've always thought that most of the Harry Potter movies were pretty mediocre (they've become decent over time, though), and I only watch them because I've read the books and want to see how they turn out on the big screen. I'm sure that if you haven't read the books the movies are better.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'd say it was the best of films so far and it was generally well done. Of course it won't compare to the books for those who are fans of the books such as myself, but as a stand alone film it wasn't that bad. It won't creep into my best films list, but for the £4 I paid to see it, it wasn't too bad. They missed out rather a lot of things I was looking forward to, such as the Careers Interview (I love the rows between Umbridge and McGonagall), though of the things they missed out, often the bare bones is there. Some things simply weren't developed though, such as the romance that wasn't between Cho and Harry.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I'd say it was the best of films so far and it was generally well done. Of course it won't compare to the books for those who are fans of the books such as myself, but as a stand alone film it wasn't that bad. It won't creep into my best films list, but for the £4 I paid to see it, it wasn't too bad. They missed out rather a lot of things I was looking forward to, such as the Careers Interview (I love the rows between Umbridge and McGonagall), though of the things they missed out, often the bare bones is there. Some things simply weren't developed though, such as the romance that wasn't between Cho and Harry.
    Ditto that.

The movie should still be playing in cheapo theaters that play the older theatrical releases from like so many months ago. You might want to give that a try.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Now I have to wait until I can see it on my computer or DVD or TV
    so it's like

wheee! i zap yoo!
    ow ;o

Get a giant magnifying glass and a megaphone

I havent seen the movie either
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I had a long rant prepared. When I got to the end of it, though, I realized that I could sum it up in a much more manageable post.

Those responsible for adapting an 800 page novel into a two-and-a-half hour movie have to pick and choose what they believe are the most important scenes. As an avid fan of the books, I think that the movie showed some serious flaws in scene selection and, more importantly, a lack of insight into the series by the writers of the screenplay. Their decision not to include the scene in which Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny find a locket while cleaning Grimmauld Place proves that the writers didn't do their homework fairly well. It's significance was apparent to anybody who pays attention to the series, and if the writers couldn't figure it out on their own, the least they could do is pay attention to all the speculation floating about in conversations involving people who do.

That said, it was fun to watch. The interpretation of the Ministry of Magic was fairly awesome, although the ending of that bit was slightly disappointing. If one is able to separate the movies from the books (something I admit I am incapable of doing), he'll be able to walk away from the movie satisfied.

I really think they should just bite the bullet and make the movie three hours long. People can and will sit through three hours to watch a movie, previous book-to-movie adaptations have proved this (need I speak their names?), and an extra half hour would go a long way toward capturing a lot of the little bits and pieces that turn out to be important in the end. If anything, J.K. Rowling has a knack for tying even the smallest details into the plot; nothing is insignificant. One would assume that they'd have figured that out by now.

Yeah, that didn't turn out so short after all.

I didn't get to see At World's End in the cinema

Cheers to Polaris for the set!

Final Fantasy's completed: I, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh my god. I can't for the life of me, remember this movie. I remember going down to San Diego to watch it with my best friend. I remember waiting in line... but I can't remember this movie! Wow. I don't think this has ever happened to me before. I can't remember a single scene, a moment, anything from the movie. o_O Either my memory is deteriorating at a frightening rate, or the movie wasn't memorable in the least.