Thread: Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games

Moomba Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games for the Nintendo Wii looks great just watch this trailer

http://marioandsonic.sega-europe.com/en/

Yeah, can't say I'm really too excited for this. There are much better games coming out/already out that demand my limited money. Maybe I'll pick it up when it's budget priced if it gets decent reviews or I get to play it and like it.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

So basically a glorified Wii Sports, right?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sonic would obviously beat a fat old plumber, so the game is stupid.
    rawr

Sonic and Mario being in the same game is tempting, but I'm willing to wait for Smash Bros. Brawl. :P

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

*sides with Xander and takes on THE WORLD!*
    FOA

Hooray, Nintendo make another gimmicky game that probably has minigames that ruin your controller. When will this bullskulls end?

Ditto on the waiting for Brawl, but even then Jaleel White won't be performing Sonic's voice in either game.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wii Sports was crap and this looks to be more of the same. Nintendo and other developers need to think of some better uses for that controller than crappy mini games.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Wii Sports was crap and this looks to be more of the same. Nintendo and other developers need to think of some better uses for that controller than crappy mini games.
    Heh. Not gonna happen. The controller doesn't have that many uses. It's lightgun aspect is essentially good for shooters, and that's it, and the motion sensitivity isn't really good for anything except gimmickry. Yeah, Twilight Princess was awesome, and the bow use was great, but I'd still much rather have had a sword button than the swinging controller. The motion sensitivity is nowhere near what it needs to be to make it a meaningful game element, and, when technology gets good enough so that it can be a meaningful game element, it will probably still fail because gamers are insanely lazy and prefer interfaces that offer maximum control with minimum work, and the sooner Nintendo realizes this the sooner we can get away from the cheap gimmickry and get back to the good stuff.

As for the game, I'm sorry, it's a totally ridiculous concept. Mario has four basic abilities: Jumping on enemies' heads, shooting fireballs, hitting things with a hammer, and limited flight. That's fine. Stop introducing more and more things for him to do. Now he's some star athelete, he's got who-knows-how-many new abilities in Super Mario Galaxy, and it's getting rather ridiculous, IMHO. He's become Superman before Kryptonite and Doomsday. They're giving him so many super powers and strength that the character is just a cheap sellout. Move him back to platformers and keep him there!
    Last edited by Skyblade; 11-15-2007 at 05:51 PM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Heh. Not gonna happen. The controller doesn't have that many uses. It's lightgun aspect is essentially good for shooters, and that's it, and the motion sensitivity isn't really good for anything except gimmickry.
    Oh I agree completely, but then, it's still nice to hope that developers may actually pull out something totally revolutionary. I think the problem is the fact that they try too hard to shoehorn motion controls into genres that play better without it, as opposed to designing totally new games for the motion controls, but that's probably a discussion for another topic.