Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man 3...

Default Spider-Man 3...

You know...I was going to buy Spider-Man 3 on DVD but after seeing a How It Should Have Ended video of Spider-Man 3 I've changed my mind.

This was a wonderfully intriguing story. The climax descended into a well rewarding resoluting that concluded the epic tale that is your thread. You made a choice...a choice that as a movie buff am safe to say was the right one

But as a spider man fan.....grr to you sir or madame and may the decision you made haunt you for now and eternity (or until pirates 3 comes out on DVD giving you the perfect oppurtunity for redemption)

Good day *Bows and walks away*
    "When you do things right, people won't notice you've done anything at all.""
    -God-

What I've Done... The Amazing Spiderman's Avatar

The movie's alright, althought some stuff may looked forced, in my opinion. But it's good to have on DVD.
    I'm easily pleased, it was awesome, and I liked the movie a lot. There are many hardcore comic fans that don't agree, thought. That's the neverending dilemma with comic movies. You can't please everyone...

Well, in my case, I obviously bought it. I've collected all the Marvel movies realeased so far (Yes, even Elektra.).

Just buy it if you want you.
    Last edited by The Amazing Spiderman; 11-15-2007 at 03:26 AM.
    FFT Class Reviews:

Lancer - Monk - Ninja - Bard

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When I saw this movie in theatres I thought it was the best in the series. After getting it on Blu-Ray, I'm now even more certain that it's the best in the series. Shame on you for having no taste.

The only reason I was thinking of getting it, is that it's worth a good laugh. When I went to the theater to see it everyone in the audience was making fun of it. It's more of an epic comedy than anything IMO.

I couldn't disagree more that it was the best one in the series. I thought it was by far the worse. I only midly enjoyed it. I like to pretend it never happend.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD!*

I do feel Spider-Man 3 got a bit too harsh reviews, because it's a solid film despite its flaws.

Although I was initially skeptic about the deal with three villains, it turned out to work surprisingly well. Of course it doesn't quite have the charm of concentrating on just one villain (which worked marvellously particularly in the wonderful Spider-Man 2), but it did work nevertheless.

I have to tip my hat to the script writer for connecting all the storylines as well as developing most of the characters the best he could. The Sandman is a tragic character although he should've been highlighted a bit more. The New Goblin is also a sympathetic character with some nice analogues, and overall I feel the character was treated properly. Although Venom doesn't quite have as much screentime as the others (and I do feel they should've included more stuff for Brock and Venom just to establish their symbiotic relationship), it works for the most part.

The plot of the movie is basically in three acts, all emphasizing a different aspect of the story. The first one is 'Hubris' where various characters (including the good guys like Peter and MJ) are in a sense 'drifting apart' and particularly in Spidey's story becoming somewhat arrogant.

This leads to the wonderfully tragic 'Fall from Grace' where everything seems to go wrong in Peter's life and which the symbiote takes advantage of, leading into disastrous results (the goofy scenes are a good contrast to the ominous scenes where Peter under the influence of the black suit brutally beats up both the Sandman and Harry and 'gets back' at MJ with Gwen).

The third act, 'Redemption' is the least developed of the three acts and would've definitely needed more length despite the already lengthy running time of the movie itself. The church scene and the birth of Venom is a wonderful tribute where things start to click together, but the end result is still a bit too jumbled to work as well as it should. Although the ending scenes are satisfactory and wonderfully downbeat as opposed to the endings of the two previous movies, I was left yearning for more because some characters just weren't developed as well as they should've been.

There were some annoying scenes (those kids and that annoying reporter), and some things were lazily explained or not explained at all and some characterization was missing, but for the most part the story resonated in me. However, many of the action scenes were breathtaking, and the final battle worked surprisingly well although it wasn't quite as powerful emotionally as the other final battles in the previous movies.

I was somewhat disappointed that the score itself turned out as confusing as some of the elements of the storyline. Although Danny Elfman's themes were used when appropriate, Christopher Young's material just didn't mix well with Danny's style (not to mention Young's stuff usually became a bit too overdramatic although the compositions themselves were quite exciting). Things weren't that better when additional music was written by the likes of John Debney and Deborah Lurie, and the mix didn't work as well as it did in SM2 where Danny composed most of the score. Still, the score wasn't a complete loss, but it's annoying in a sense that it could've been so much more.

All in all Spider-Man 3 doesn't reach the emotional heights of Spider-Man 2 but it does get to the level of Spider-Man 1 for the most part. I feel that for the most part it's a fitting end to the trilogy, but I hope that for future installments they'll only concentrate on one villain in order to preserve the narrative and give characters needed character development.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I watched it last week or the week before and I enjoyed it. It was a well put together film, it was a decent enough rent and fun enough to watch. Some of the plot lines simply didn't feel as developed as they could've been. I suppose that's what you expect when you have three villains in the story so naturally none will get as much attention as Norman Osmond or Dr. Octopus got. It felt, at times, like some good scenes that weren't held together terribly well and it just jumped from one interesting bit to the next with little tangible bits holding it together. It's well worth a watch, but it's not going to break into my 'best films I've seen' list any time soon.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Meh, it's okay for a superhero film. It's the last thing in the world I'd buy though, well, beforelast. Batman's still worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post
    Meh, it's okay for a superhero film. It's the last thing in the world I'd buy though, well, beforelast. Batman's still worse.
    Which Batman? Batman & Robin?

Quote Originally Posted by John_912 View Post
    Any of them really. Spiderman is one of those superheroes which are actually more or less fun to watch. Must be the nerdyness.

I thought it was a decent movie. As an action movie it was fun and exciting, no doubt about that, but on a whole I was somewhat disappointed. It just didn't live up to all of the hype, and after having seen the second one in the series and thinking it was actually quite good, I was expecting to see something more.. or maybe just something else - I'm not really sure what specifically, though.

I guess the main problem was the story. Three villains in one movie was way, way, way too much, and there wasn't enough screen time for all of them to really get into them. The Green Goblin storyline was good, and so was the one about Sandman, but the whole deal with Venom just seemed forced. Don't misunderstand me; I really like the character of Venom and I think he's really interesting, but he just needed to have his own movie, where other villains wouldn't take some of the spotlight. Also, the scenes with Peter Parker being possessed by Venom, and suddenly being this confident and slick guy were unpurposely funny in my opinion.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I watched it for the first time a few days ago and found it absolutely horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by John_912 View Post
    Any of them really.
    I'd like to see you make a good Batman movie but I don't think you can.

Don't take the bait, discord. You'll be arguing for posts to come with this guy over super hero movies.