Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games with awesome plots.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    The whole Metal Gear Solid series, with 3 being the super-awesomest.
    I was waiting for someone to be insane enough to even suggest that the MGS storylines were anything more than sub-par, Steven Seagal-esque trash. Quite frankly I think the plotlines are sub-par, Steven Seagal-esque trash, and the continued devotion to the series baffles me.

In terms of a storyline I'm quite keen on the ones found in both System Shock 2 and Bioshock, both told in the same drip feed, piece-it-together manner that I really enjoy. Finding out what happened is half the fun, you're not just shown it all. Plus they both have neat plot twists that creep up on you quite subtly, though you can spot the patterns...sometimes. (SPOILER)That whole "would you kindly" thing really caught me off guard and both enthralled and freaked me out in equal measure.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Bad Dudes! You can't get much better than that!

But seriously now, Katamari Damacy :D

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    Bad Dudes! You can't get much better than that!

I wholeheartedly agree.

I asume this excludes all FF games.

Hehe, you could go for Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines if you're in for a weird ending and a bunch of witty jokes, otherways, yes, MGS all the way.

OR HEY! Gothic 1!

The Myst series! Even the novels are extremely well written and are very interesting.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

Saga Frontier 2!

Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Quite a nice plot there, but you have to get both games to get the most out of it. Well worth it though, as they are excellent games.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

PC Games?

Bioshock, for the love of god, BoB!
    I've heard good things about Deus Ex, but never played it myself.
    Find a place to download some old point-and-click adventures--should be easy to find for free, and some of LucasArts games have fantastic writing. Sam and Max, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, etc. Look 'em up.

Grim Fandango, definitely. It's one of my favourite games. It has that whole 'Film Noir' and 'Art Deco' art direction mixed with the Aztec Mexican 'Day of the Dead' theme.

It's absolutely great stuff.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

omfg, Grim Fandango is up there with the gaming gems <3

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Sam and Max, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, etc. Look 'em up.
    Listen to the man, Daniel.

Monkey Island 1 and 2 are two of my favourite games ever. The storyline is head and shoulders above pretty much anything. A lot of games are touted as being hilarious, but until you play Monkey Island, you will not know true hilarity.

Xenosaga and the MGS series have radical storylines. If graphics really isn't a barrier, play Excelsior, that's rad too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    If graphics really isn't a barrier, play Excelsior, that's rad too.
    SOMEONE ELSE AT EOFF KNOWS ABOUT EXCELSIOR!?!?!? I love you so hard right now.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    PC Games?

Bioshock, for the love of god, BoB!
    I've heard good things about Deus Ex, but never played it myself.
    Find a place to download some old point-and-click adventures--should be easy to find for free, and some of LucasArts games have fantastic writing. Sam and Max, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, etc. Look 'em up.
    Seconding Deus Ex. The first one is amazing, the second one is okayish, but a bit too easy when it comes to gameplay.(SPOILER)Snipe + Silencer = Victory

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I've always liked the plots of the Shadow Hearts games, what with them linking in history, mythology and its own plot quite nicely. But I'm a bit of a history nut so it appeals to me.

Otherwise Banjo-Kazooie had an awesome plot. A bear kidnapped by a witch so she can put the bear into an evil machine that will suck all her beauty and put it into the witch, making her look like Victoria Beckham circa 1998? Fantastic.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by El Bandito View Post
    Psychonauts had the most engaging story and characters for a platformer I've ever encountered.
    Psychonauts gets props from me as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    I was a bit disappointed in the turn Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy took during the game. For me it went from being a great plot to a pretty boring one. :/ Had to mix in that supernatural crap.

Well, there's obviously Silent Hill. They're all for PC too, except from the 1st one. The only one linked to SH 1 is SH3, so you can easily play the other 2 without confusion.

And then there's Sanitarium, also a PC game. One of my favourites, and I think you're gonna like that one too. ;o Look it up.
    Note that the PC ports of the SH games have been super sloppy rush jobs with little to no support from Konami (much like their other PC ports). SH2 ran fine for me on my computer, but 3 and 4 would crash before anything would even happen. Reading their support forums basically shows that this is the case almost universally.

Also, the old Lucas Arts point-and-click games are great, as has been suggested.