Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who bought Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings?

Yea there is only one gambit, maybe more can be added.

The sprites are tiny I think because there are tons of them on the screen often, and it would be weird to have them big. The story is great! Motomu Toriyama was the scenario writer. I like the ethics in the story, it reminds me of Eternal Sonata. The characters move a little slow but it's not too big of an issue for me.

The ends of Chapter 6 and Chapter 7 were pretty insane! I'm really excited by the story, it's really great.
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

I love this game. It's extremely fun. If there's one thing Toriyama knows how to do; it's make a fun game. Two things that everybody rags on this game are the controls, and the deselection; which in my opinion isn't as bad as it was brought out to be. I haven't really had a problem with anything, or been frustrated. The dialouge is clever; the story is simple, but doesn't butcher FFXII's. Not that there was a lot to butcher. But yeah, I bought this game thinking the worst, and it totally exceeded my expectations.

Anyway, question. For my Esper battle party, am I only allowed a max of three Rank II Espers? I thought it would grow the more Espers I obtained, but I have a few Rank III's now, and it hasn't.

You can only have up to 3 rank II Espers. You can have up to 5 rank I espers and up to 1 rank iii esper, but that rank iii esper doesn't appear automatically at the start of the battle but must be summoned at a gate if there is one.

Yea, there are some issues with the controls and battle system but they aren't huge for me. I was extremely excited for this game and it's exceeded my expectations!

EDIT:
    I just finished Chapter 8! After this I talked to everybody in the Bridge and Sky Saloon sections of the airship, upgraded my equipment, and beat the two Melee Battles at Feol Warren. NINE new Tomaj Hunts just opened up!! I am going to beat all nine of them before I start Chapter 9. The characters are talking like I'm almost done with the game. I have to beat two more chapters, more hunts, more melee battles, the bonus dungeon Midlight's Deep, and some other stuff before I finish the game. I'm 76% done with the missions/hunts combined it says, and I'm 35:16 into the game. The game may take 45 hours to finish with 100% completion. Could it take close to 50 hours? We'll see, the game is pretty long for a DS rpg. I got a little confused on the story but I got some clarification recently from the characters. I'm going to work hard and beat this game. I think that the faster I beat the game(up to a max of 3 hours a day), the more fun it is, because then I don't lose track of the story and forget what happened earlier in the game, like if I had only played half an hour a day. After beating this game there's a book I am going to finish reading, and hopefully I'll get Alundra 1(1998 PS 1 action rpg) for Christmas! Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings is great!!!

EDIT:
    I'm getting closer to the end of the game now!!

I am 41:09 into the game and have completed 92% of the Missions and Tomaj Hunts. I just finished Chapter 9. I finished all 32 Melee Battles. I finished 32 Tomaj Hunts so far.

I have to complete 4 more Tomaj Hunts. I have to complete the 10 floor Midlight's Deep Dungeon. I have to complete Chapter 10, which is three missions long. The game is going to be nearly 50 hours long for a 100% completion rate!!

I still stand by the earlier ratings I gave to the game, which I'll post again here...
    10/10: Story
    10/10: Characters
    10/10: Graphics
    10/10: Sound
    8/10: Controls
    8/10: Battle System
    9/10: Polish
    10/10: Length/Sidequests

Again, I'm extremely happy about the quality of this game! Is there anybody here who has beaten the Usa version of this game with 100% completion rate(all 32 Melee Battles, all 36 Tomaj Hunts, all 10 floors of Midlight's Deep Dungeon) yet? I think I'm going to be on the earlier side of the scale as far as how long it takes for people to beat it. I didn't beat Final Fantasy XII until early November of this year(about 90% completion rate) but I'm going to beat Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings in three weeks with a 100% completion rate! Everybody, please post your thoughts on the final stages of this game and your experiences with it!

EDIT:
    The final ultimate missions require some leveling up. I tried to beat it and work hard but I need to level up more. Luckily each time I complete the final(#32) melee battle, atleast one character levels up. Also, it only takes 10 minutes to beat that. I'm working on preparing for the Wings of Midnight hunt. In this one I have to defeat Titan, Ramuh, Shiva, Ifrit, and then Bahamut!!!

I've got four hunts to do and then the final 3 story missions. After that the 10 level Midlight's Deep Dungeon opens up. Ok, the game is going to take 55 hours maybe!! The game is great, I'm really excited about it. I hope I don't have to level up for more than another hour, because I want to continue the game and finish this levelling up. Also, it's annoying that Balthier and Fran haven't had many great Gambits in the early/mid stages of the game. Because of this I didn't level them up as much and use them. Now I'm at the end and they are about 5-8 levels behind the other characters and still need to get 2 Gambits for them. I want to continue levelling up and playing this game!

EDIT:
    The time to beat this game keeps going up! I levelled up for an hour yesterday and was finally able to beat the 3rd and 4th to last hunts. Now I have two more hunts, some levelling, then the 10 level Midlight's Deep Dungeon, and the final three story missions. The game may take 60 hours for 100% completion! I'm trying to remember how many hours for the main part of the story, maybe 30?
    Last edited by Dragonsoul; 12-10-2007 at 09:35 PM.
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Articles
    Blog Entries

my ds just came back about an hour ago, so i finally got to try it. I'm not very far into it, first few missions, but I have to say this game is amazing.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

buying is such an objective term.. more like enjoying a back-up.. without the origional

anyways.. i liked the game.. but im stuck(see help revenant wings thread)

Bolivar, what mission are you in?! What do you think of my specific ratings for the game so far?

Aerith's Knight, I posted in that thread.

Ok, I finished my task of repeatedly levelling up in the final Melee Battle at the Gate of Shattered Time. I finished some hunts so I only have two left. I'm in the Midlight's Deep Dungeon. I finished the first 7 out of 10 floors! So far they had some challenges but weren't extremely hard yet. I will finish this Dungeon and the final two hunts. Then I'll do some random final stuff and finish the last 3 missions of the game. This is a 60 hour game with all sidequests and maybe 30 hours with none of them. How long was Zelda: PH with/without sidequests?
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Articles
    Blog Entries

^Right now I think I'm on chapter 4 (whtever Savegery), mission 1 and I'm definately feeling your review for the game. RPGs and RTS are probably my 2 favorite genres, and I was skeptical at first at how this game would play out, but the team far exceeded my expectations.

This game is representative on how the DS is a system that really challenges the creativity of the developers, and allows them to provide a gaming experience you couldn't accomplish on traditional NES-derived systems. The use of storytelling in RTS format makes it a great RPG, and it feels alot like FFXII. The incorporation of FFXII's music was done flawlessly IMO, and it makes the game that much better.

Another cause for skepticism was that most FF fans mostly are wary of sequels, but again, it was pulled off perfectly and then some. I really look forward to seeing more of the returning cast, not to mention having Ba'Gamnan on my team for these missions is a delightful surprise.

I have to say, since being deemed the "Pre-eminent developer at Square Enix", Akitoshi Kawazu is 2 for 2 with XII and now this, and since I'm considering getting a ps3 soon, I'm really looking forward to the Last Remnant. This game is easy to pick up, yet it is able to remain challenging. I'll probably give another review after beating it, but I'm gonna take my time and not rush through it. So far, it's been great!

I can't wait to get this game. I might import it from the USA using Ebay.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

This game is pretty insane! I just beat Yiazmat!!!

I finished the ten floor ultimate Midlight's Deep Dungeon. The final level has the Yiazmat boss. Yiazmat was tough, but my strategy was good. Using Odin helped me out, yes Odin is an Esper, hooray!

Now I have to finish the last two Tomaj Hunts, just do some quick preparations, then the final three story missions. I think the game will take 58 hours!

EDIT:
    I will beat the game tomorrow!! Here's what I did tonight...

I finished the last two Tomaj Hunts(to get the Zodiark and Gilgamesh Espers).
    I finished my random preparations, which is a bunch of random stuff I don't wanna list.
    I reviewed the game's story on the bulletin board thingie.
    I reviewed the encyclopedia stuff, the mission summaries, and the log entries.
    I reviewed the entire strategy guide I have, including the story for each mission.
    I reviewed both strategy guides for FF XII: RW on Gamefaqs.
    I reviewed the Wikipedia article on FF XII: RW.
    I browsed the official Japanese website and the official English website.

Tomorrow night I will complete the game! I am 55:33 into the game, with just the three story missions to go(Missions 10-1 to 10-3). Oh, I've beaten all the Tomaj Hunts, Melee Battles, and the Midlight's Deep Dungeon. I've leveled up, learned all magic, and learned all quickenings. I got a ton of money and auricite and material, and all Espers. I got the best Weapons and Armor and all the Accessories. I got all the Mementos. I'll have a truly 100% completion on the game, which will get me the Hidden Secret Ending!!! There are many Rank III Espers but I think the most powerful and ultimate ones are: Odin, Gilgamesh, Zodiark, and Bahamut. Also, I think that Yiazmat is the toughest boss I've fought yet. Odin and Bahamut are my favorite Espers!

I still stand roughly by my specific ratings for the game I posted. I'll finalize those ratings once I finish the game though. Most aspects of the game's design are perfect. A few aspects have some flaws but are still very high quality. Overall the game is fantastic! I'm listening to the music from the Ring of Pacts section of the game menu, it's great. Especially once you get to the "chorus" of the song, where it gets ultimate! Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings is legendary! I've had a really great time with this game!! Has anybody else here finished the English version of the game with a truly 100% completion rate, beating all sidequests and all the other random stuff? What does everybody think of the game?

I'm really excited! I'm beating Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings tomorrow with a 100% completion rate!! !!!

EDIT:
    I finished missions 10-1 and 10-2 and am right about to complete the final mission. It's Mission 3 - "Revenant Wings". The name of the mission is the name of the game! Anyways, my Leaders will be: Vaan, Penelo, Kytes, Lluyd, and Filo. I wanted to use the five main characters. The strategy guide recommends those but Basch instead of Vaan, for Basch's Apocalypse Shield quickening. For my Espers I have Bahamut(Rank III, Non-Elemental, Flying), Carbuncle(Rank II, Healing, Ranged), Wyvern(Rank II, Fire, Flying), Aquarius(Rank I, Water, Flying), and Quetzalcoatl(Rank I, Lightning, Ranged). I won't use the last two Espers, I'll dismiss them and summon more Wyverns instead, but Aquarius and Quetzacoatl still have the fortune of being chosen as benchwarmers for the final battle! Ok, this final battle is going to be pretty insane, I'm excited~! Is anybody online right now reading this? I'll tell you more information when I finish the game tonight!

EDIT:
    I tried to beat the final level but it was harder. Since I have a 100% mission completion rate, the level of the enemies is higher. So now I'm going to level up for a couple hours and maybe I can beat the game tomorrow night instead.
    Last edited by Dragonsoul; 12-15-2007 at 11:29 AM.
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'm at the beginning of chapter six right now. This game is really fun. The story is so much better than the one in XII.

Yea it rules! I'm working on levelling up before I finish the final battle right now. The story is great!
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

I have just ordered it (US version) and the signature series guide!
    Can't wait!

Yea this is pretty insane. I was hoping to finish the game the other day, before I got extremely busy. I need some more time to finish this game. I almost bought FF Tactics(PSP) today by the way. My PSP rules! I just bought a USB cable, so I can put pc files on the PSP.Yea this is pretty insane. I was hoping to finish the game the other day, before I got extremely busy. I need some more time to finish this game. I almost bought FF Tactics(PSP) today by the way. My PSP rules! I just bought a USB cable, so I can put pc files on the PSP.

EDIT:
    I beat the game! I beat Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings!!!

It took 68 hours for a truly 100% completion rate! I had to level up my characters continously in the Midlight's Deep Dungeon(50,000 exp for main 5 characters and 10,000 exp for the other 4 characters). I used: Lluyd, Filo, Kytes, Penelo, and Basch. Filo was at a lower level than the others but the top 4 I had at an average of level 76.5! That levelling up took a while, because I wanted to be properly prepared for the final battle. Also, I completed all the Recipes for forging weapons!

Here's a tip, in the final two chapters, focus on levelling up those 5 characters I listed specifically. This is because those are the characters that you will use in the final battle, and you don't want them to be far behind the other characters in development. They should be high, around level 70 maybe. Also, you are going to need some Gems(Materials) for each of the four main elements to use the Recipes for forging the ultimate weapons. Even completing everything you will not get enough of it. What you need to do is level up at Midlight's Deep Dungeon and complete the first 6 levels. The 6th level has treasure chests that gives you those Gems, which you need. After beating the 6th level, you can start over, or complete the final four. Completing the final four levels of Midlight's Deep Dungeon will take longer than doing the first six. At the end of Level 10 you beat Yiazmat, get a huge upgrade(this is repeatable) for Vaan's ultimate sword Anastasia, and get some of those Gems. If you are not worried about the Anastasia upgrade and just want to quickly get levels and Gems, just repeat the first 6.

The final level was amazing! It's a two part level called "Revenant Wings". The first half of it is the main part of it. Use Lluyd, Filo, Kytes, Penelo, and Basch, with all the top equipment. I used for Espers Bahamut, Wyvern, and Carbuncles. Don't use Rank I Espers. Fortify all three of those Espers four or five times. In the start of the level dismiss your Rank I espers. Then summon Bahamut into Basch's group, it'll be those two in a group. I gave Penelo four or five Carbuncles. Kytes was by himself. Lluyd and Kytes both have tons of Wyverns. Have everybody attack the left arm of Feolthanos and the monsters summoned there. Have Basch and Bahamut stand closer to the stairs though. Basch and Bahamut can fend off attackers by themselves, as the enemy Espers approach them from the stairs and from the right arm. Yea, Basch and Bahamut are extremely powerful in FF XII: RW. As Lluyd and Filo get their Quickenings, dismiss their Wyverns and put them into another person's group, one at a time, so that all five leaders get their Quickenings. Save all those Quickenings for later. Once you beat the left arm move to the right arm of Feolthanos. Have Basch stand near the stairs with Bahamut and fend off monsters coming down the stairs. Have Lluyd, Filo, and Kytes attack the right arm and the monsters nearby it. Have Penelo between those three and Basch, healing everybody. After beating both arms and disabling both enemy summoning gates, fortify all three Espers you are using four or five times and make sure all five characters have Quickenings. Don't forget to immediately revive leaders if they die. If Penelo and Lluyd both die, you probably will need to restart the level, don't let them both die.

Next, have Lluyd and Filo's group climb the stairs and attack Feolthanos' torso and the monsters summoning their. Watch them! When monsters appear, attack them one by one until they are gone, then continue attacking Feolthanos. Oh, also you should have moved Bahamut from Basch's group to either Filo or Lluyd's group. While Filo/Lluyd's groups are on the stairs, have Penelo and her Carbuncles and Kytes and Basch stand on the ground to the right of the platform. They should not be in the top floor or the stairs or at the bottom of the stairs, but at the ground to the right of Feolthanos. They can heal the allies and do ranged attacks. Watch Feolthanos' HP. When it gets to 60%, move either Filo or Lluyd's group next to Penelo/Kytes/Basch, and out of the way. Move the group that doesn't have Bahamut, I'll explain why. Leave the Bahamut group to attack Feolthanos. When Feolthanos gets to 50% HP he'll summon an enemy Bahamut and other Monsters. Immediately(Immediately!) when this happens, have the Bahamut group run quickly away down the stairs and to where everybody else are, they should not be at the bottom of the stairs but where the other allies are. After commanding them to move, use three Quickenings! Use the ones for Basch(protection), Filo(Haste), and Lluyd(Fortify Espers) immediately!! Feolthanos will shoot out his ultimate attack of a white light in a line extending from him, which does extreme damage. It kills or severely damages anything in it's pathway. If you are not levelled up and not fortified or have low HP, everybody could die all at once! That's why you need to level up before this battle, fortify your espers in the battle, select the proper leaders and Espers, prepare your Quickenings and use your status enhancing abilities. Move everybody out of the way, and lure the enemy Bahamut and his group out to fight you. Use Kytes Quickening on Bahamut. Don't use Penelo's Quickening yet, even if many Espers have died or have low HP. After Bahamut is gone and those Monsters die, use all your Status enhancing abilities to power yourself up. Then wait until Feolthanos uses his White Light type attack, then once he did that, go up the stairs and attack him. Leave Penelo and her Carbuncles and Kytes and Basch in the hiding place to the right of Feolthanos on the ground, to use their ranged attacks and not be harmed. Have Lluyd and Filo's group of Wyverns and Bahamut and those two go up the stairs and attack Bahamut. Make sure you keep summoning Espers and fortifying them. Feolthanos will hit you with his ultimate attack. Once he does that, immediately(immediately!) use Penelo's Quickening, which you have wisely saved until now. Then continue to hit Feolthanos and beat the level!

Then you get to the second half of the level. The part right before the fight is extremely ultimate and reminds me of when you talk to Kefka before beating Final Fantasy VI. You start out using only Vaan to attack Feolthanos. Use Vaan's steal abilities on Feolthanos. When Vaan gets to 50% hp all 8 other leaders appear and you all attack Feolthanos in his final form. This battle doesn't take long. Just make sure not to let Vaan die. Also, use Vaan's abilities. The ending of the game is extremely ultimate and one of the very best ever. The final cutscene is great and gives ultimate cool info. We may get a sequel!

I think this game may be better than Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, and I mean overall not just a pound for pound comparison considering that FF XII: RW is a DS game and FF XII is a PS 2 game. FF XII: RW may be overall better than FF XII! It's an amazing game, and my earlier ratings I gave to FF XII: RW still apply...

10/10: Story
    10/10: Characters
    10/10: Graphics
    10/10: Sound
    8/10: Controls
    8/10: Battle System
    9/10: Polish
    10/10: Length/Sidequests

The game took 68 hours with 100% sidequests and completion rate! At the end of the game it lists your mission completion rate, Ring of Pacts completion rate, and Recipe completion rate. Get all Recipes! It's part of the 100% completion rate requirements. Get those Gem Materials at Midlight's Deep floor 6 and floor 10. Also there are some Gems in the final Melee Battles on Ivalice I think. I rate games out of 7 stars and I give this game a 6 out of 7 stars. It actually wasn't too far from 7 stars, just needed better controls/battle system basically. The Polish rating was 9/10 mainly because you had to buy and sell stuff one at a time, and all other rpg's have you able to do multiple sales at one time. I've only given 6 games 7 out of 7 stars by the way. This game was amazing and I beat it just on time, Christmas Eve, considering my relatives might have bought me a game for Christmas(Alundra 1, FF I(PSP), or FF Tactics(PSP)). But I am on vacation and won't get their present until a week and a half probably, so I'll read in the meantime I think.

My final thoughts are that this game was legendary and I loved every minute of it! Everybody who loves Rpg's should drop what they are doing and buy this game. Even people who don't follow rpg's but have a DS should try this game also. I wish their was a sequel to this game, hopefully there will be one. The final battle was so fun that I think that I'll continue to beat it just for fun. It reminds me of the Final Fantasy VI final battle, it was so cool! I love Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings!!! !!!
    Last edited by Dragonsoul; 12-25-2007 at 06:39 PM.
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

I got the game for Christmas. So far, it's great. I've completed Chapter 5, and I'm working on the monster melees that were unlocked before moving on to Chapter 6 (I've already completed all the missions, including recruiting Ultima and Hashmal). The group dynamics are a little too structuredd for my taste, with no way to dynamically group, select all of one type of unit, select all leaders only, etcetera.

I am also upset at how Exp gimped Penelo is. Consistently getting at least a thousand less Exp than your other leaders is ridiculous, I don't care if she can't attack.

Kytes is insanely overpowered, with his elemental AOEs and Bio, he can kill groups ten plus levels above him just by casting and running, though somehow Vaan still winds up with more Exp than him. Those calculations are screwy.

The characters are quite fun, the plot is engaging, and the graphics are nice. Overall, it's a fun game that I really enjoy, it just suffered a bit from the DS's limited controls.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

It's a good game IMO. It has strategy, nice character development, and good graphics. I love controlling characters with my stylus =)However, I'm currently having trouble in Chapter 7-4

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html