Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Galaxy

Grin Super Mario Galaxy

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was shocked to not see a thread already started for this game! I got it today when it came out and have played a few minutes into it. I like it, so cute! Anyone else started on it today? And what do you think of it?
    (My opinion may be influenced by the fact that I love stars...so this game is super cute to me! )

I picked up my copy yesterday. The hype prior to release was about to drive me nuts. I haven't had that much hype for a console game in a long time. So far it hasn't let me down either. It lives up to the hype and then some.

The Co-Star (1.5 player) mode is fantastic. My wife plays the second Wiimote and helps get all of my star bits and helps a lot with holding enemies and bay and is also helpful on bosses. I can't even imagine playing it only by myself now.

I think it's one of the best console games in quite a while, especially in the 3D platformer genre. It's gotten great reviews, but I'm sad to see how many people want to crap on it with the most nit-picky of comments like, "it isn't uber-super-photorealistic and doesn't look stupendous on my HD TV!!" It's a great game and plays very well and I think it looks just fine.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I've beaten the first galaxy, and I'm going to have to say that my initial impressions can be summed up in a single onomatopoeia:
    SQUEEEEEEE!

I'm loving it. I've completed the first two major galaxies, obtained some hidden and comet stars, and some overworld stages. I'm really impressed; it's very fun.

I don't like how the prankster comets randomly appear though. It makes it awkward to master the galaxies. Does anyone know if you get a star for obtaining 100 coins in a level?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I bought it for my sister yesterday and only had the time to play until I got the first star myself. I'm going to reserve judgement until I get farther in since I obviously haven't played much. I found getting the first star rather underwhelming, and using the spin attack is just as unresponsive (compared to a button press) as I knew it would be, but I don't expect the first level to do much more than get you familiar with the game.

All that said though, it's 10x better than Mario Sunshine. I just wish they'd stop wasting my time by pretending there's a story I'll actually care about. That intro was waaaaayyyy too long. It's Mario for gods sake, just let me play the damn game already.

I'm glad to see that most people enjoy it. I'll ask for it for Christmas, maybe, along with Smash.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

You should, cause Smash Bros isn't coming out until next year. February I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    You should, cause Smash Bros isn't coming out until next year. February I think.
    I read that it was February a month ago, but then a week or so ago I read December again. I don't even know what to think anymore. ;_;

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Straight from the Sakurai's mouth.

As for Galaxy, it is absolutely wonderful in every way.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

You are all Mister Gay.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

My only criticism of the game so far is very minor. At first, running around on the planets is a little awkward. The camera angles make it a little awkward at first, but I got used to it after playing for about half an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    My only criticism of the game so far is very minor. At first, running around on the planets is a little awkward. The camera angles make it a little awkward at first, but I got used to it after playing for about half an hour.
    I had the same issue, but I got used to it too! Also, I found it funny that they explain a skill you have after you already have had to use it. I still am having lots of fun with it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I was shocked to not see a thread already started for this game!
    I don't know. I distinctly remember a thread about this game before.
    Last edited by The Ceej; 11-14-2007 at 07:13 PM.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Certainly looks like a great game. On my list of games to get if I ever get a Wii. How does the gameplay compare to, say, Super Mario 64?
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

It takes everything Super Mario 64 did right and evolves it far beyond anything seen in 3D platforming during the intervening eleven years. Some people have been saying it is to that game what Super Mario Bros. 3 was to the original Super Mario Bros., which I would have to say seems accurate.