Thread: I'm taking a different approach on my next playthrough

Default I'm taking a different approach on my next playthrough

Usually in all my FF VI playthroughs, I would teach all my characters as much magic as possible(with the exception of Umaro and Gogo for obvious reasons and Relm and Gau since I don't use them.) I plan to take a different approach on my next playthrough. Instead of teaching everyone Magic, I'm only gonna choose certain characters and make them proficient in a certain type of magic. For example, I plan to make Setzer and Strago proficient in Black Magic, Relm(yeah, I plan to play with her in my next playthrough) in White Magic and Time Magic, Celes in White Magic, Edgar in Time Magic, and Terra in both Black and White Magic. The rest of my characters will stick with their job abilities and physical attacks. So should I bother trying this approach or should I stick with the approach I've always used?
    Last edited by Crossblades; 11-23-2007 at 02:20 AM.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

I like that approach. It gave me an idea on my next FFVI play through.

that's a fine approach...
    One thing to note, Celes and Terra will learn certain magic on their own...

and some equipment will teach magic. Of course, it's easy enough not to use the spells you didn't intend on them knowing.

Personally? I only use healing magic really. I've never found magic to outperform physical attacks in any FF game

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post

and some equipment will teach magic. Of course, it's easy enough not to use the spells you didn't intend on them knowing.

THE JACKAL
    Which equipment? I only recall one piece of equipment that taught Magic and it was the Paladin Shield for Ultima.

Well, it doesn't matter anyway, because like you said, I won't use the spells I didn't intend on them knowing.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblades View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post

THE JACKAL
    Which equipment? I only recall one piece of equipment that taught Magic and it was the Paladin Shield for Ultima.

Well, it doesn't matter anyway, because like you said, I won't use the spells I didn't intend on them knowing.
    I believe ice sheild, fire sheild and thunder sheild teach ice 2, fire 2, and bolt 2, respectively at x3 but dont take my word for it (it couldve been the swords and not the sheilds)
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

That's how I play the game, well not so much for the specific magics, but the stat boosts.

I'm guessing you'll be letting characters learn magic without using it? Because those espers come with important stat bonuses. :P

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossblades
    Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9

THE JACKAL

I believe ice sheild, fire sheild and thunder sheild teach ice 2, fire 2, and bolt 2, respectively at x3 but dont take my word for it (it couldve been the swords and not the sheilds)
    Thunder Sword, Ice Brand, and Flametongue taught the level one elemental spells, I thought. But there's a bunch of other equipment that teach spells.

I usually only bother giving offensive magic to the spellcasters, and give utility spells to everyone so the entire party can cast buffs and the like.

This is a good idea, could make the battles more interesting:mog:

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

That's normally what I do for the reason I'm usually too impatient to teach all my characters certain magic. I don't really see it to be too hard, just gotta remember who's got what magics especially for things when you split up. You don't want to go to the pheonix cave only to realize your whole second party is like all white mages or something. xD

Terra and Celes learn some magic on their own, without espers. Since you said Terra will use both black and white magic, her learning fire spells won't affect your strategy, but Celes will learn ice spells, and you wanted her to be a white mage only.

As far as the strategy, go for it. It sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    Terra and Celes learn some magic on their own, without espers. Since you said Terra will use both black and white magic, her learning fire spells won't affect your strategy, but Celes will learn ice spells, and you wanted her to be a white mage only.

As far as the strategy, go for it. It sounds interesting.
    Celes will be more of a Paladin than a White Mage(Relm will take over that role since she'll also learn White Magic and will have Time Magic as well and Time Magic is sometimes considered White Magic in other FF games. Also Celes will have relics that make her seem Knightly, like the True Knight relic.) But Celes learning some other Magic can't be avoided, unfornately. So I'm just gonna have to deal with it.

Also, I have made a tiny change to my strategy. At first I was considering Edgar to learn Time Magic, but I changed my mind now. I'm just gonna give him Dragoon boots and Dragon Horn relics to make him into a Dragoon and also have him stick with Tools
    Last edited by Crossblades; 11-28-2007 at 12:00 AM.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"

My strategy is just to have everyone learn white magic as soon as possible, and as much as possible. Then, once they've mastered all available white magic, I will have them learn other types.

I don't really use non-white magic very much , if at all. I prefer to deal damage with physical attacks, and save my precious MPs for healing.
    God Loves you.
    Christ Died for you.

The one thing I usually do is get Shadow to not learn any magic. He does miss the bonuses, but with offering + genji glove with 2 good swords in the Colosseum he will only fight.

For magic, I always give the strong magic users tier1 esper priority then everyone else. I dont split the magics based on type since it reminds me of previous versions. Everyone should know cure2 and be able to resurrect/heal the party if it happens that they are the last one standing in a battle.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Please don't revive old threads, Kupin.
    Figaro Castle