Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Console To Rule Them All?

Default One Console To Rule Them All?

Games > EA calls for one world, one console News

So, what do you think of this? Would it be better if there were only one kind of hardware, or do you think there should still be competition?

Well on the one hand, those with monopoly all to often abuse their monopoly and overprice their stuff. So they could overprice all they wanted.

On the other hand, there would only be one console. So even if it were, say $800, it would only be the one. So I wouldn't have to buy an X-Box360, a Wii, a PS3 and all their accessories so that I can play all the console games that I want. And I would be able to play all of the games that were offered, and there would still be multiple game makers so game prices would stay down.

Don't know what I think, but I think an ideal situation would be just two consoles existing. Monopoly wouldn't happen, but I'd only have to buy two consoles at a time.

<What.>

But seriously, it's EA. What do they make that's actually any good, really?

And Microsoft leaving the games industry is just stupid. They have a firm position in America and their sales are fine. The only company I can see possibly leaving is Sony.

Edit by Kishi: That's awful.
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

If anyone should leave the market, it should be Nintendo. Nintendo said they'd stop making consoles and focus on games when their Gamecube flopped. Then it flopped and they said, "Well, nevermind what we said, we'll make the Gamecube again with a wavey stick and call it the Wii." I was looking forward to Zelda games on my PS2, but they had to go back on their word. It's a shame. Nintendo used to be good.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    If anyone should leave the market, it should be Nintendo. Nintendo said they'd stop making consoles and focus on games when their Gamecube flopped. Then it flopped and they said, "Well, nevermind what we said, we'll make the Gamecube again with a wavey stick and call it the Wii." I was looking forward to Zelda games on my PS2, but they had to go back on their word. It's a shame. Nintendo used to be good.
    And they still are this "wavey stick" is brilliant and with games like Mario galaxy out now and smash brawl coming out soon the wii is doing very well.

1) When did Nintendo ever say they planned to stop with consoles if the Gamecube Flopped?

2) The Game Cube never Flopped anyway. It wasn't nearly as big as PS2, but they still got good sales and made noteable profits. It doesn't take much to realize they had good sales even without the Chart. Just look at how many Smash Brothers Fanatics there are out there who love to play Melee.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Competition is always healthy. However, I do think that more games should be released on multiple platforms. I think there is a problem in that players aer being forced to shell out hundreds just to get 2+ consoles in order to play all the games they want. This problem would be solved if every game was released on every platform. You could just pick your hardware and be done with it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

A monopoly on the industry would result in legal issues in the U.S. Just figured I'd throw that out there.

For developers, though, it would be great. They wouldn't have to worry about releasing a game that caters to a certain crowd for a certain system, and they wouldn't have to make predictions on who is going to win what system war, or who the majority supports and so forth.

But, on the other hand, without competition, why would the system itself advance? The only people they'd be competing with would be consumers, needing to improve whenever they drop in popularity. Whereas with competition, it's a game of fast retaliation when compared to a game of 1-Player Monopoly.

Also, to whomever said the Gamecube flopped, you are silly.

If the Gamecube flopped, the Xbox caused a new chernobyl incident. The Gamecube made money for Nintendo. The Xbox lost money for Microsoft. Lots of money.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    1) When did Nintendo ever say they planned to stop with consoles if the Gamecube Flopped?
    The guy at Gamestop told me this right before Gamecube came out. He said, "Nintendo says they're giving one more shot at a system. If this flops, they say they're going to do what Sega did and work on games only as that's their strong point these days anyway." I know I shouldn't use quotes when it's a paraphrase, but you get the point. If Nintendo never said that, then Gamestop is not reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    The guy at Gamestop told me this right before Gamecube came out. He said, "Nintendo says they're giving one more shot at a system. If this flops, they say they're going to do what Sega did and work on games only as that's their strong point these days anyway." I know I shouldn't use quotes when it's a paraphrase, but you get the point. If Nintendo never said that, then Gamestop is not reliable.
    Right some guy at Gamestop said it. God you are all so stupid. Some random guy told him that Nintendo were gonna stop making consoles if the Gamecube flopped. It must be true. :rolleyes2

Since when does anyone actually listen to the guys at Gamestop and EB Games any more? Hell, they have been so unreliable in information since I started visiting them before FFVIII came out.

Quote Originally Posted by f f freak View Post
    God you are all so stupid.
    Woah, that was a bit uncalled for... No need for that. >.>;

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I would actually be in favour of having only one console, i.e. the PC. I just wish the companies responsible for building its components would work a bit tighter with the guys who write the software for them.

Um, Gamestop "Isn't'" that relaible on such information. They will have release dates for games before a dates actually been announced.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by f f freak View Post
    God you are all so stupid.
    Woah, that was a bit uncalled for... No need for that. >.>;
    Quite right. F F Freak, it is recommended that you maintain basic civility even in casual discussions; you'll be on your way out of here otherwise.