Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why love Final Fantasy VII?

Your including Advent Children in the list that builds upon the story and universe?

***SPOILER WARNING***

I love this game so much I decided to register just to post in this thread. This is by far favorite game in the series. For me, my love for this game is completely based on the storyline. I couldn't care less about character customization, active time battle, materia system, or any of that. For me that is just a bonus. This Final Fantasy series is the only series that has ever really affected me emotionally. I *almost* cried when Aerith died, and I had already had it spoiled for me on several occasions.

I have always viewed this game as a sort of Shakespearian (sp?) tragedy, which is my favorite part of the game. I loved every minute of 6 until it had that stupid kiddish cop-out of an ending. In this game, the good-guys sort of win, but the planet is scarred by meteor, aerith is still dead, and sephiroth is only defeated in a physical sense.

The tragedy of aerith's death was perfect. Only a few hours ago she was on a "date" with cloud and as they sat on that ride in the gold saucer she says that she wants to get to know the "real" cloud. In the temple of the ancients she tells cloud that someday they'll look back on these hard times and laugh. She tells him in the sleeping forest that everything will be ok and that she'll take care of it. Then the last time you see her she's so optimistic and she's praying and she's stabbed in the heart from behind. And then you fight jenova and aerith's theme keeps playing to emphasize the emotion. And I almost cried when cloud carried her over the water to say goodbye for the last time.....alright I'm going to have to force myself to move onto another topic.

One of the best motifs throughout the story is that cloud keeps losing everyone he loves: Zack, his mother, Aerith. I always wonder why people critisize him for being so emo...he kind of has reason to be. Zack took a bullet and ultimately gave his life for cloud, but because of cloud's amnesia, his heroic deed goes unnoticed. It's just so sad, you can't help but feel sorry for all of cloud's losses. Sephiroth is always at fault, either directly or indirectly, and yet I can't help but sympathize with him. He was taken advantage of for research, created through horrible experiments, and fed false information about his identity. Sephiroth is doing what he honestly believes is right to avenge his mother, and that is where the real essence of the tragedy lies: there really is no one person to put the blame on. If anyone, the real villain would be hojo, who symbolically raped lucrecia in the name of science, turned vincent into a monster, killed aerith's parents, etc. And yet jenova is also at the center of everything. I could go on about this for 10 pages, but I'll spare you all my fanboyish rant.

If I had to sum up why I have such an irrational emotional attachment to this game, it would be because of how realistic it feels. It's not some cliched story where a single antagonist does something bad because he is inherently evil, and some protaganist saves the day just 'cause it's the right thing to do. Everyone, including the main antagonist, has experienced betrayl, tragedy, depression, loss, and guilt, and is ultimately trying to find peace. And at the end, nobody gets exactly what they want, and that is what I love about it.
    Last edited by auberginedreams; 12-23-2007 at 08:37 AM.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

I'm confused, I read that all the difference between characters is their limits and story, but then I find myself asking "whats the difference between any characters from and rpg? the only game from the ff series I can think of is ffix and cmon is it that much of a big deal?

Anywho, I like ffvii for many reasons, such as the Aerith death scene (dont know if I spelt that right lol) now dont get me wrong and think im an Aerith hater (I use that term loosely) because im not, its just that the emotional value and no matter how many times I see it, it always manages (see scene lol) to move me, along with the scene with Nanaki aswell. The battle system aswell, its just a very fun battle system for me to play now 99% of all RPG's I get really bored with the battle system and end up grinding my way through the battles to get to the next boss but with vii its different for some reason and I always enjoy it.

oh and lets not forget, it has some really big swords lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Raebus View Post
    Your including Advent Children in the list that builds upon the story and universe?
    Yes. It may be a kickass movie because of the fighting, but its also a great movie because it ties up some lose knots in Clouds story (Aerith).

+ Its fantastic. xD
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    HONEYBEE INN.
    Yeah, I think that's one very solid reason they'll never remake the game unless they either want an M rating or for all the fans to bitch that important stuff was left out. (Eight guys undressing Cloud and sharing a bath in AC's graphics? No thanks.)

It's another very solid reason to love the game too considering how short it is. My sister hasn't played FF7 at all yet she vividly remembers me doing the Honeybee Inn.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by auberginedreams View Post
    ***SPOILER WARNING***

I love this game so much I decided to register just to post in this thread. This is by far favorite game in the series. For me, my love for this game is completely based on the storyline. I couldn't care less about character customization, active time battle, materia system, or any of that. For me that is just a bonus. This Final Fantasy series is the only series that has ever really affected me emotionally. I *almost* cried when Aerith died, and I had already had it spoiled for me on several occasions.

I have always viewed this game as a sort of Shakespearian (sp?) tragedy, which is my favorite part of the game. I loved every minute of 6 until it had that stupid kiddish cop-out of an ending. In this game, the good-guys sort of win, but the planet is scarred by meteor, aerith is still dead, and sephiroth is only defeated in a physical sense.

The tragedy of aerith's death was perfect. Only a few hours ago she was on a "date" with cloud and as they sat on that ride in the gold saucer she says that she wants to get to know the "real" cloud. In the temple of the ancients she tells cloud that someday they'll look back on these hard times and laugh. She tells him in the sleeping forest that everything will be ok and that she'll take care of it. Then the last time you see her she's so optimistic and she's praying and she's stabbed in the heart from behind. And then you fight jenova and aerith's theme keeps playing to emphasize the emotion. And I almost cried when cloud carried her over the water to say goodbye for the last time.....alright I'm going to have to force myself to move onto another topic.

One of the best motifs throughout the story is that cloud keeps losing everyone he loves: Zack, his mother, Aerith. I always wonder why people critisize him for being so emo...he kind of has reason to be. Zack took a bullet and ultimately gave his life for cloud, but because of cloud's amnesia, his heroic deed goes unnoticed. It's just so sad, you can't help but feel sorry for all of cloud's losses. Sephiroth is always at fault, either directly or indirectly, and yet I can't help but sympathize with him. He was taken advantage of for research, created through horrible experiments, and fed false information about his identity. Sephiroth is doing what he honestly believes is right to avenge his mother, and that is where the real essence of the tragedy lies: there really is no one person to put the blame on. If anyone, the real villain would be hojo, who symbolically raped lucrecia in the name of science, turned vincent into a monster, killed aerith's parents, etc. And yet jenova is also at the center of everything. I could go on about this for 10 pages, but I'll spare you all my fanboyish rant.

If I had to sum up why I have such an irrational emotional attachment to this game, it would be because of how realistic it feels. It's not some cliched story where a single antagonist does something bad because he is inherently evil, and some protaganist saves the day just 'cause it's the right thing to do. Everyone, including the main antagonist, has experienced betrayl, tragedy, depression, loss, and guilt, and is ultimately trying to find peace. And at the end, nobody gets exactly what they want, and that is what I love about it.
    Well said n.n

(For future reference, we have spoiler tags)

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very well said.. i totally agree

Couldnt have said it better myself
    "When you do things right, people won't notice you've done anything at all.""
    -God-

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

It got me into Final Fantasy. I owe it everything in the world. I look at the other FFs as another way to take me away into another (although fictional) reality.

VII has plot depth, sympathy for character feelings (Aerith ), incredible re-playability, and a battle system that still rivals that of today's RPGs.

That's what does it for me in any game. But if you don't like it, you don't like it. That doesn't make you a I-VI fanboy or anything. (God do I hate rude people.)
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

I just plain enjoy the game. It has a deep story, great characters, and fun minigames. Definitely my favourite FF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Also, of all the emo antiheroes that plauge the RPG genre, I like Cloud the most, though I couldn't say why.
    I don't really like the misconception that Cloud was emo or depressed. He was cocky at the beginning and was a bit misled/tortured during his little identity crisis, but for the most part he remained pretty optimistic even later on in the game.

Anyway I've been playing through this game again and I'm getting kind of annoyed with all the little unrealistic things about it, especially during the first 5 hours or so. Most of the story still intrigues me though, so it's all good.

I miss it. The steel sky. Aerisfanatic's Avatar

For video gamees its really hard to say why you liked them without the simple responses, i loved the story, character, gameplay ect. But if someone asks you why? you would give your reasons, the story was compelling, great character developement, yadda yadda. Ok thats nice you said why, but for a person whos never played before or nver got into it, your reasons wont matter to them. For any game not just FF7, storyline, character, and gameplay are most important. If you like the story and its characters you would want to keep playing. The better the gameplay the more you will get into it, the more you get into it the more you'll start to like it, when you really get into it you will start to love it. So thats pretty much it, if you dont like these things in FF7 you wont start to like it, if you do is when you start start to love it.
    Forever obsessed with the one and only flower girl <3

Quote Originally Posted by aerisfantatic View Post
    For video gamees its really hard to say why you liked them without the simple responses, i loved the story, character, gameplay ect. But if someone asks you why? you would give your reasons, the story was compelling, great character developement, yadda yadda. Ok thats nice you said why, but for a person whos never played before or nver got into it, your reasons wont matter to them. For any game not just FF7, storyline, character, and gameplay are most important. If you like the story and its characters you would want to keep playing. The better the gameplay the more you will get into it, the more you get into it the more you'll start to like it, when you really get into it you will start to love it. So thats pretty much it, if you dont like these things in FF7 you wont start to like it, if you do is when you start start to love it.
    I agree with aerisfantatic, you either kive it or hate it, i love it, everything about it, its the game i re-started and completed the most in my life its in excess of 30+ times, i think its the perfect Final Fantasy.{{imo}}

Sig created by the Genius that is Polaris

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silentenigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Also, of all the emo antiheroes that plauge the RPG genre, I like Cloud the most, though I couldn't say why.
    I don't really like the misconception that Cloud was emo or depressed. He was cocky at the beginning and was a bit misled/tortured during his little identity crisis, but for the most part he remained pretty optimistic even later on in the game.
    Probably because it makes it easier to bash the game. There's no merit in it, especially considering the player has control over a good amount of Cloud's responses, whether you want it to be cocky/melodramatic/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    I used to think that i liked it so much because it was my first FF but it's not the main reason.
    FFVII (for me) has a certain charm that it's quite hard to explain.I think it's the general atmosphere of the game (music,environments,characters) that i always loved.
    I also liked it's humor and that it didn't take itself very seriously (unlike FFXII for example).
    That's kinda the same for me.

I just think it came out at the right time; you've got the Playstation 1, which at the time, was the biggest thing in gaming. 3-D graphics, cd quality sound, and new innovations in games that people just weren't used to seeing. So you can imagine that when a game that has the Final Fantasy brand attached to it and it releases for Playstation, it was destined to be huge. Don't get me wrong though; I don't for once believe it was overhyped. I just think that the game releases, and now you have this gigantic RPG giant that pretty just did everything right for the time: great music, great story, amazing graphics, and just plain epic. It attracted a lot of people, many who have never touched an RPG, myself included, and they experience something they've never experienced before, and history is made.

Are those people wrong for thinking it's the best game ever? NO. Are you wrong for thinking it's NOT the best game ever? Absolutely not. Everyone is entitled to think what they think and feel what they feel about FFVII.

But here we are today, and everything about that original game is going to scream nostalgia for those gamers, and for me, that's what's keeping that game so close to my heart, is the feeling I get when I think of it. Granted, I like ideas and mechanics of some of the other FF's more (FFVIII is personally my favorite one), but FFVII just makes me feel like a kid again, remembering the thrill and joy of experiencing it for the first time. So someone can come along and tell me they think it's the worst game on the planet, but I'm not gonna knock on em for hating on it. It's not going to ruin and change how I feel about it. Sorry, never gonna happen. And in no way does that make me a "fanboy."

Squaresoft did everything right for it to be destined an instant classic.
    Last edited by Dark Eternal Knight; 01-24-2008 at 04:05 PM.