Thread: 867-5309/White Mage (Or Hang On, That's Fighter On The Other Line)

Default 867-5309/White Mage (Or Hang On, That's Fighter On The Other Line)

I'd like to start out by saying that this post is not like me. I always delete all the games from my new phones to make room for stuff that really matters. As if anything on a phone matters. My phone is not a gaming system and it is not a camera. It's a phone, not a Swiss Army knife. But it's a new phone and I'm interested in what it can do.

I heard on the Final Fantasy Retrospective that Final Fantasy was released as a game that can be played on phones. For reasons I've stated above, plus the fact that it probably plays a lot different due to the fact you don't have a standard controller, I'm going to regret asking this, but where can I find it? I've looked for it, but it doesn't seem to exist. And, hopefully, it doesn't cost too much. I can't justify spending very much for a phone game. God, I'm going to have the buyer's remorse for this one, but can anyone help me find this game?

i read about it in a big article about advent children/crisis core, DOC it was called before crisis... something like that. it listed them like ac/bc/cc/dc
    it was about the turks and for japan i hadn't heard of a us release

found the article electronic gaming monthly oct 05

BEFORE CRISIS -- spring 06
    FINAL FANTASY VII
    Sir, we have Sephiroth on line three!!
    (though you probably consider cell phone games to be fluffy fare like Bejeweled,
    Jamdat Bowling, or Tetris, Square Enix intends to change the way U.S. gamers think about mobile entertainment. Before Crisis is serious stuff: an episodic (16 downloadable chapters are available so far in Japan) action-RPG chronicling the six years that led up to the events of Final Fantasy VII. You control various members of the Turks—highly skilled mercenaries hired by the nefarious ShinRa corporation. Fans of FFVII will recognize nearly everyone, and it's an interesting twist, for example, to lead the Turks against a freedom fighter such as FFVII's Barret. "BC really fleshes out the events that transpired before FFVII," explains Producer Kosei Ito. "And it also shows you how your favorite characters turned out the way they did."
    As you'd expect from something you play with a phone, BC doesn't sport overly complex gameplay. Exploration occurs in top-down dungeons, and battles use a blend of real-time action and menu-driven magic. If you're in over your head, you can even fire off a text message to a friend, who can instantly lend some of his own magic materia to help you win the battle.

thats all i have on it
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

I was actually talking about the original Final Fantasy. I'm not interested in all this FFVII spinoffs. But, I guess that wasn't released in America either. Probably best. I don't want to regret buying it.

oh.... i never heard that the released ff1 for cells
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Wouldn't want to compromise your integrity.
    Last edited by Roto13; 12-02-2007 at 09:43 AM.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It seems liek I read something like that too, recently. the wikipedia article makes it seem like you need a certain kind of phone to play it, also to know japanese

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    It seems liek I read something like that too, recently. the wikipedia article makes it seem like you need a certain kind of phone to play it, also to know japanese
    Or know the game inside out and only need to, say, refer to the translation snapshots on FFClassic for a moment to totally grasp it.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

In Japanease it would be hard to figure out where you're going, because in English, throughout the game, it states very clearly where you have to go and what you must do next.

This sounds awesome, Scott#s want. It would be perfect for those times you are stuck on a deserted island or in an elevator. Instead of wasting away and dying helplessly, you could play Final Fantasy and get the very best out of those final moments on earth.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNUMBERS View Post
    In Japanease it would be hard to figure out where you're going, because in English, throughout the game, it states very clearly where you have to go and what you must do next.

This sounds awesome, Scott#s want. It would be perfect for those times you are stuck on a deserted island or in an elevator. Instead of wasting away and dying helplessly, you could play Final Fantasy and get the very best out of those final moments on earth.
    I have Tetris on my phone for that purpose

I don't think the translation would be an issue like ReloadPsi said. It's not a really a dialogue-driven game to the extent that you need the text because, if you've played it enough times, it'd simply be a case of remembering where to go after you've done dungeon X or what have you.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottNUMBERS View Post

I have Tetris on my phone for that purpose

I don't think the translation would be an issue like ReloadPsi said. It's not a really a dialogue-driven game to the extent that you need the text because, if you've played it enough times, it'd simply be a case of remembering where to go after you've done dungeon X or what have you.
    In bold is the only part of my post that isn't sarcastic. The game being in Japanese wouldn't make it any harder to know what you're doing because you can't even decipher where you have to go in English.