Thread: Hosting a Torrent file without downloading it

Default Hosting a Torrent file without downloading it

I've got a file that I was planning on uploading as a torrent. Problem is, the place I was gonna put it on already has it.

What I'm wondering is whether anyone knows how I can make my own copy of the file in question, and get it to work so that people can download it as if it belonged to the same torrent? Is that even possible?

I don't wanna ask on the site in question for fear of being told "ya boo smurf off n00b" and banned.

On a somewhat related note, whenever I do try and seed a torrent, I seem to be unable to upload. Anyone help a brother here?
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 12-02-2007 at 09:31 PM.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to pretend you're doing this to distribute linux, for example 8)

µTorrent - How to make a Torrent Is that what you're talking about? Making a tracker?

Have you tried just adding the same tracker to your version? I mean, as long as everything is named exactly the same and all the data is exactly the same.

Your best bet in helping out is to download theirs and seed that one. Though maybe it is possible...

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If your copy of the file is the same as the one already there, why make another torrent? Seed the existing one - there's no point in making a new one. If the .torrent is the same, it doesn't matter where you download it from, it can still point to the same trackers and join the same swarm. At most you could change or add to the trackers listed inside it, and it'll effectively be the same.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

I think he has the same content, but just different torrent file.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."