• both >:-(

10 17.24%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: for all of you that hate ff7...

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Odaisé Gaelach View Post
    But, as a friend of mine would lament, "You haven't even gotten out of Midgar yet!" So I'll keep on playing. Maybe it'll get better...
    Indeed The story hasn't even started to begin yet...

Ciddieless since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Indeed The story hasn't even started to begin yet...
    Well, daggum. I've just left Midgar now... Yippie ki-yay, world map!
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFVII's world map is quite a unique one, I feel. Not the geography - it's the generic 'two continents and a north pole' deal - but the way it's presented. If you have the camera down behind Cloud, rather than the overhead view, you can't easily see what's up ahead. There's a real sense of discovery and journey, rather than having your next destination plainly visible from a long way off. Also, the scale of the mountains and terrain makes it seem more like you're travelling through a new location, rather than just moving a little guy across a map.

Eh, both. The characters are all so boring (Sephiroth is the only one who stands out), and the game isn't exactly fun. The translation isn't that great. The non-battle graphics just aren't great, although I can tolerate the inbattle graphics.

The fanbase is really bad. Although I hate the fanbase MORE, making it go away will not change my opinion on VII. Honestly though, I hate the FFX fanbase more. Most of the fanbase seems oblivious to the games obvious flaws... (they acknowledge some per se, but don't necessarily acknowledge it as a flaw). FFVII fanbase is also bad, but I don't find it AS bad, except for the "FFVII is good and others suck people."

Originally when I got VII I was expecting a solid title. It wasn't that. I knew the fanbase LONG before that (got it last July). So honestly it wasn't the fanbase.
    Last edited by Zora; 01-04-2008 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majaia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Both. The game is simply blah and the fanbase is (often, but not always) made of people born after 1990 who've never played a real Final Fantasy like VI or IX.

Really?
    - I was born in 1986
    - Final Fantasy VI was my first RPG (for SNES)

Yet, somehow, Final Fantasy VII is my favorite RPG, let alone FF. Too bad it's not a 'REAL' one though...
    who've never played a real Final Fantasy like VI or IX.
    Everyone who likes FFVII more than VI or IX had better [Run away!] because the omnipotent Roto is going to strike them dead!
    I might strike YOU dead just for being an idiot. You missed a very key part of my post. Go back and read it again, see if you can wrap your puny brain around the entire thing.

(And how can IX NOT be considered a "real" Final Fantasy when it's a tribute to the old ones?)

Both. The game is simply blah and the fanbase is (often, but not always) made of people born after 1990 who've never played a real Final Fantasy like VI or IX.

Really?
    - I was born in 1986
    - Final Fantasy VI was my first RPG (for SNES)

Yet, somehow, Final Fantasy VII is my favorite RPG, let alone FF. Too bad it's not a 'REAL' one though...
    who've never played a real Final Fantasy like VI or IX.
    Everyone who likes FFVII more than VI or IX had better [Run away!] because the omnipotent Roto is going to strike them dead!
    I might strike YOU dead just for being an idiot. You missed a very key part of my post. Go back and read it again, see if you can wrap your puny brain around the entire thing.

(And how can IX NOT be considered a "real" Final Fantasy when it's a tribute to the old ones?)
    One thing I dislike is how the anti-fanbase keeps on referring to FFVII as not being a "true" FF game. Aside from some of the character's weapons, a few towns (Midgar in particular), it actually isn't THAT different. At the very least, if you count FFVI was a real FF, you should count FFVII too. To be frank, FFVI's industrial theme was far more persistent than FFVII's future theme.

Oh, and I am not referring to you Roto, but the people you quoted (among others)

I find it funny how FF fans fight more amongst themselves then they fight with fans of other game series.

I can see where alot of the people who dislike FFVII are coming from about the fanbase. Hell, FFVII is my =1st fave game, next to FFX. But there a certainly a hell of alot of fans from each of those games that piss me off. Immature people, who just completely aid the points that VI-IX fans are trying to say about the fanbases. I think that the only reason why VII and X have such large numbers of fans is because they were both the 1st FF to come on their respective console.

I think I'd like VI IX, of what people have said, with good reasons, they sound like good games. And I don't judge an FF fan on which one they like best. When it all comes down to it one may be an amazing game to some people whereas another may not. It's tastes at the works.
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

I think that many first generation FF fans also hate the game and its fanbase because the series moved from Nintendo to Sony and to many Nintendo fans that was another reason for the N64's downfall.The phenomenal success of the game fueled the hatred even more.
    I can imagine today,that many Sony fanboys would also really hate FFXIII if it was moved to 360,even before they even had a chance to play it...

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    I think that many first generation FF fans also hate the game and its fanbase because the series moved from Nintendo to Sony and to many Nintendo fans that was another reason for the N64's downfall.The phenomenal success of the game fueled the hatred even more.
    I can imagine today,that many Sony fanboys would also really hate FFXIII if it was moved to 360,even before they even had a chance to play it...
    The N64 had some brilliant games for it even without FFVII. It didn't really have any decent RPGs for it which is probably the one respect in which FFVII being for the PlayStation hurt the N64. I think it'd be a bit unfair to suggest that FFVII was a reason for the N64's 'downfall.'
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Okay game, but part of the fanbase is extremely annoying. I know no game is perfect, and they all have their annoying fan, but the fact FFVII is so popular means that its annoying fans are more numerous than, say, the annoying fans of FFVIII. Heck, I can't stand the annoying fans of my favourite FF either, so it's not a matter of me hating FFVII.

And I have to agree with whoever said the FFVII sequels suck. Those I've played were major suckage, so I make it a point to ignore their existence. Kinda like FFX-2. I don't care if it's canon, I choose not to acknowledge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    The N64 had some brilliant games for it even without FFVII.
    Agreed.
    It didn't really have any decent RPGs for it which is probably the one respect in which FFVII being for the PlayStation hurt the N64.
    Agreed again.
    I think it'd be a bit unfair to suggest that FFVII was a reason for the N64's 'downfall.'
    I said it was one of the reasons and of course we all know that there were other more important ones (cartridge vs compact disc).
    But i still believe that it was something that really hurt the long time FF fan more than it actually hurt N64 itself.
    Final fantasy wasn't so mainstream back then (except Japan of course) and it was secretly enjoyed by an "elite" few in North America (FFVII was the first FF release in Europe).This "elite" hated FFVII's success because they didn't want their precious series to be discovered by other fans.And especially by a 'new' generation of (PS) gamers who knew almost nothing about the history of the series.
    As i said before,it will be the same today if the series moves from Sony to MS.The Sony fanboys will hate the game (and the new fanbase) even before they play it.
    Last edited by Nifleheim7; 01-07-2008 at 02:28 AM.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

[q=Nifleheim7]I said it was one of the reasons and of course we all know that there were other more important ones (cartridge vs compact disc).[/q]I have some of the original US FFVII ads in old magazines - some of them specifically mention the 'disc versus cartridge' thing. Like this one ad with a picture of the Junon cannon with the heading, "Someone please get the people who make cartridge games a cigarette and a blindfold." The ad claimed that if FFVII were made for cartridge, it'd retail for around $1200. No idea how true that estimate would or would not have been back in 1997...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cactuar View Post
    I find it funny how FF fans fight more amongst themselves then they fight with fans of other game series.

I can see where alot of the people who dislike FFVII are coming from about the fanbase. Hell, FFVII is my =1st fave game, next to FFX. But there a certainly a hell of alot of fans from each of those games that piss me off. Immature people, who just completely aid the points that VI-IX fans are trying to say about the fanbases. I think that the only reason why VII and X have such large numbers of fans is because they were both the 1st FF to come on their respective console.

I think I'd like VI IX, of what people have said, with good reasons, they sound like good games. And I don't judge an FF fan on which one they like best. When it all comes down to it one may be an amazing game to some people whereas another may not. It's tastes at the works.
    I hope you won't be mad if I said FF7 = The best FF game ever.

Blog Entries

I wonder how many people hate ff6 because of the fanbase too, because its really the same thing the ff7 lovers are doing to you. Its the same thing, so think about that ff7 bashers.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    The N64 had some brilliant games for it even without FFVII.
    Agreed.
    It didn't really have any decent RPGs for it which is probably the one respect in which FFVII being for the PlayStation hurt the N64.
    Agreed again.
    I think it'd be a bit unfair to suggest that FFVII was a reason for the N64's 'downfall.'
    I said it was one of the reasons and of course we all know that there were other more important ones (cartridge vs compact disc).
    But i still believe that it was something that really hurt the long time FF fan more than it actually hurt N64 itself.
    Final fantasy wasn't so mainstream back then (except Japan of course) and it was secretly enjoyed by an "elite" few in North America (FFVII was the first FF release in Europe).This "elite" hated FFVII's success because they didn't want their precious series to be discovered by other fans.And especially by a 'new' generation of (PS) gamers who knew almost nothing about the history of the series.
    As i said before,it will be the same today if the series moves from Sony to MS.The Sony fanboys will hate the game (and the new fanbase) even before they play it.
    Thats so sad.. and i mean as in pathetic!!

are you serious.. do fanboys act that way?

I smurfing hate all fanboys. I have every console(except commodor and such) except for the ps3.. and thats not because im a freaking fanboy, but because its expensive.

for the love of god people.. if this is true, then where the hell are we heading?. elite group.. Id actually kill myself if I thought like that.

I actually despise exclusives.. games should be played by everyone.