Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After All That Trouble (Or My PS3 Has As Bad As Much Memory Problems As I Do)

Default After All That Trouble (Or My PS3 Has As Bad As Much Memory Problems As I Do)

So yeah. I got a PS3 today. It was the 80GB because the 60GB was unavailable. I've upgraded to software version 1.80 because that's the highest version I could get due to the fact I'm on dialup and I'm not downloading a 120MB file.

I bought the PS1/PS2 memory card reader, and it does a fine job of showing me what files I have on this card. I can't figure out how to transfer them to my virtual cards. This is what the PS3 instruction manual has to say on the topic:

Quote Originally Posted by A Lying Stack Of Papers
    To use saved data on a memory card (8MB) (for PlayStation®2) or a memory card, you must copy data to an internal memory card within the hard disk. You must use a memory card adaptor (sold separately) to copy the data.

1. Select (Memory Card Utility (PS/PS2)) under (Game) in the home menu and press the X button.

2. Connect the memory card adaptor to the system.

3. Insert the memory card that you want to copy in the adaptor.

The icon for (Memory Card (PS)) or (Memory Card (PS2)) is displayed.

4. Select the icon, and then press the X button.
    Follow the on-screen instructions to copy the data.
    I don't get any on-screen instructions. I get a list of the saves I have on said card. I'm doing exactly what the book is telling me to do. What is wrong about what it's telling me to do? How do I do this?

EDIT: I posted prematurely. I'm sorry. I played around with it. I was supposed to press the ^ button rather than the X button like the book told me, the lying stack of papers.
    Last edited by The Ceej; 12-03-2007 at 06:45 PM.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

/thread?

Glad you got it sorted out though.

Yeah. It's sorted out now. I kind of wish I could delete the thread because it makes me look like a moron that can't figure out how to work a gaming system. The kind of moron who assumes the instruction manual is always right because they hired God himself to write it.

Yeah. Well, what are you gonna do?

Articles
    Blog Entries

so the 80 gigs got backwards compatibility, right?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

More than the 40GB model, but it's emulation so it's less than the 60GB.

Doesn't the 40 gig model not have it at all? Or is that only in Europe?

The discontinued 20 and 60GB models had hardware-driven backward compatibility. The 80GB has emulated backward compatibility which, as far as my current testing has done, isn't as bad as has been led on. It's not perfect, but I can deal with it. The 40GB model has no backward compatibility. Stay away from that one. Of course, I think the reason they did that is to sell more of the higher-priced 80GB models and have no plans to terminate backward compatibility. Only to disinclude it in the cheaper models. I mean, they're still updating the backward compatibility software. Now, if only I can get the latest version. Goddamn dialup. I have half a mind to sue the broadband companies for telling me it's not available in my area when I live in a metropolis.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    The discontinued 20 and 60GB models had hardware-driven backward compatibility. The 80GB has emulated backward compatibility which, as far as my current testing has done, isn't as bad as has been led on. It's not perfect, but I can deal with it. The 40GB model has no backward compatibility. Stay away from that one. Of course, I think the reason they did that is to sell more of the higher-priced 80GB models and have no plans to terminate backward compatibility. Only to disinclude it in the cheaper models. I mean, they're still updating the backward compatibility software. Now, if only I can get the latest version. Goddamn dialup. I have half a mind to sue the broadband companies for telling me it's not available in my area when I live in a metropolis.
    i see... but when you say it's emulation... in what ways is that worse than full bc like the early models have? What's the difference between playing them on the newer models and an older one? Are there any games that are excluded?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The 80GB has backwards compatibility for a large number of PS2 games but not all, since it emulates. I can't remember exactly how many, but I think it was in the 1500-2000 title range. I also can't remember how compatible it is with PSX games, but I believe it's compatible with a fairly decent number. The 40GB does have emulated BC for PSX games, but no PS2 support. Since Sony has moved to software emulation though, I'm really not sure why they don't simply offer PS2 support with that model.

Also, with emulation, a lot of games work really well while some will encounter glitches. If BC matters to you in your PS3, then the 60GB model is the only way to go since it has nearly 100% compatibility with PSX and PS2 titles.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    The 80GB has backwards compatibility for a large number of PS2 games but not all, since it emulates. I can't remember exactly how many, but I think it was in the 1500-2000 title range. I also can't remember how compatible it is with PSX games, but I believe it's compatible with a fairly decent number. The 40GB does have emulated BC for PSX games, but no PS2 support. Since Sony has moved to software emulation though, I'm really not sure why they don't simply offer PS2 support with that model.

Also, with emulation, a lot of games work really well while some will encounter glitches. If BC matters to you in your PS3, then the 60GB model is the only way to go since it has nearly 100% compatibility with PSX and PS2 titles.
    Yeah I think that's what I'm going to do. In addition to glitches and an incomplete library, does anyone else know the drawbacks to software emulation on the ps3, or specifically what the glitches do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    i see... but when you say it's emulation... in what ways is that worse than full bc like the early models have? What's the difference between playing them on the newer models and an older one? Are there any games that are excluded?
    The emulation is not perfect. Nothing was intentionally excluded, but there are problems with certain games (i.e. glitches or [allegedly] incompatibility). They're continuing to work on this on a daily basis. Every now and then, they update the software (currently, they're up to 2.0) which, in addition to feature updates, fixes known glitches and adds compatibility to certain games. Their goal is to make the emulated backward compatibility perfect, though that will probably take some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Since Sony has moved to software emulation though, I'm really not sure why they don't simply offer PS2 support with that model.
    Because they want to sell more of the 80GB. It's more expensive and therefore makes them more money. It certainly worked on me. I can't imagine it not working on anyone who's a big fan of their PS2 library.

And, Bolivar, yes, that is the only difference. Hard drive space and backward compatiblity. And of course, price, but that's understood.

I got someone telling me on another thread that my SIXAXIS controller won't rumble, even though the lady at Sony said it will and the only reason it's not rumbling now is that the software isn't compatible with it. She's sending me a softare update due to my being on dialup, so when I update the software, I'm going to put in a game that supports rumbling, put the controller on a desk next to a glass of water, and take a pic while it rumbles as proof. I trust Sony about Sony's products sooner than I'd trust Wikipedia about anything.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    I got someone telling me on another thread that my SIXAXIS controller won't rumble, even though the lady at Sony said it will and the only reason it's not rumbling now is that the software isn't compatible with it. She's sending me a softare update due to my being on dialup, so when I update the software, I'm going to put in a game that supports rumbling, put the controller on a desk next to a glass of water, and take a pic while it rumbles as proof. I trust Sony about Sony's products sooner than I'd trust Wikipedia about anything.
    This was covered to death in the other thread Ceej. The Sixaxis has never had the technology inside it to rumble. The new Dualshock 3's that are coming out are even slightly larger to be able to accommodate the rumble and motion sensing technology. You're waiting to receive a system update that not only do I already have, but I have a more recent version of, and I'll tell you straight up that controller of yours will not rumble. If you don't trust Wikipedia, then here's a link to the IGN story breaking the news of the Sixaxis controllers name: IGN: SIXAXIS Official
    Note the part about the controller not supporting rumble in the first paragraph. This is the last time I'm going to bother trying to refute you though. If you don't believe a news story from a credible media source, or a guy with a more recent version of the firmware than you're getting in the mail, then you are going to have to see it and be disappointed for yourself I guess.

First of all, you don't have a later software than what I'm getting. I'm getting the latest. The best you have is the same.

Second, that article is over a year old. They could have included rumble in the newer models in the last year. Just because yours doesn't have it, doesn't mean models that came out after yours don't have it. The lady at Sony said it supported rumble and had the parts. Just watch for the pic. I'll expect an apology when I post it.

Shake it. Nothing moves on the inside. There's no rumble feature in there. That's what the Dualshock 3 is for. The lady you talked to on the phone probably said that the firmware update would allow your PS3 to support the upcoming Dualshock 3, which does rumble.

Articles
    Blog Entries

why doesn't everybody just chill out and we'll see what happens when he gets it.