Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3 vs. Xbox 360

Default Playstation 3 vs. Xbox 360

I DON'T KNOW WHICH CONSOLE TO GET! HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Comment on the games, the graphics, the features the console has, and if you own one, or both consoles, give it a rating and tell me if you are satisfied with it.
    The below sentence is true.
    The above sentence is false.

Blog Entries

360 has many more games worth getting at this point.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    360 has many more games worth getting at this point.
    Based on exclusives, I have to disagree. Aside from Halo 3, Dead Rising, and Mass Effect, what triple A titles does it really have (assuming your someone who considers Halo to be a triple A title to begin with)? I'm not counting Gears of War either since it is on the PC now with more content. By the same token, the PS3 has every multi-platform game the 360 does, with some great exclusives of it's own such as Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Warhawk, Resistance, Motorstorm, Ratchet & Clank, and more to come in the next year, chief among them being MGS4. Both systems have about the same number of worthwhile exclusives out there right now, so the only way for you to figure out which console you want is to look at the games for each and make your choice.

Blog Entries

Honestly I really don't know I don't play anything that isn't PC

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Can't blame you there. Most of the best titles on the 360 and some of the best on the PS3 are on the PC and better for it.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Moved this to general gaming for you, though it'll probably just devolve into a flame war pretty quickly.

And I'll put in my two cents. I think Xbox Live is the superior and better integrated online service, but you'll pay 50 dollars a year for it. If you would be into online gaming, think about that.

If you're here because you only like Final Fantasy and just want to play RPGs, don't get a 360. It has a few, but it is definitely more western-audience focused, and thus has more shooters than RPGs.

Graphics wise, I think the PS3 will eventually start overpowering the 360, mostly thanks to the harddrive coming standard and the larger storage option. Currently, most games that come out on both systems have reportedly had very slightly better graphics on the 360, and usually a solid framerate.

Also, having been out for a year longer, the Xbox Live Arcade has a much wider variety of really fun games to choose from, though some of them are a little expensive at $10.

Finally, and probably most importantly, here is a list of Metacritic scores for Xbox 360 and PS3 games, in descending order.

Xbox 360, Playstation 3

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i think if you want to play FF RPG's you should buy a PS3.. but if you dont care that much(theres always enchanted arms, oblivion, eternal sonata) you should really get an xbox 360..

im not saying anything against ps3, but its just that thats relativily new, programmers generally lean more towards the easier programming of the 360, by the time the console graphics go out of date, the next generation would already have arrived, more games are available now and the biggest bonus of all.. its way cheaper.

hope it helps

I got a PS3 on Monday and I've very happy with it. I would recommend it if you're willing to pay the money. I got $100 off the price, so basically I got the 80GB at the 40GB price.

Don't worry about the fact that the PS3 is trailing in the ratings right now. As soon as the Final Fantasy XIII games come out (which is soon, right?), PS3 will shoot up to #1 and no one will want Wii anymore. The system containing the Final Fantasy games has always been the number one system throughout history, so why would that change now? Besides, PS3 can do that thing the wavy stick can do on the Wii if you really care enough. The controller is motion sensitive. However, I just turn that feature off.

The answer to the question about rumbling controller:
    The controller is designed to rumble, but the software that comes with the PS3 doesn't support that. The latest software, which you should use if you're going to buy it, does. If you can't download it, Sony will gladly mail it to you. Then, any game which supports rumbling controller will work with the rumbling controller. I know there was a question around here some time ago about that.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

--edit since I didn't see Ceej's post before: Really, the Wii is not competing with the PS3 and 360, so don't worry about Wii being #1. It's not likely to change, even with Final Fantasy. Wii is overlapping into a different audience now who doesnt' care about FF. Anyway, this topic is not about the Wii.

As for rumble, the Dualshock 3 is only out in Japan right now. Some of the PS3's current software is already rumble compatible. Future software releases will likely have automatic system updates included on the disc.--

[Topic]

For Hardware: If you can find a 60GB PS3, I'd say that should be top priority. The 80GB's backwards compatibility isn't terrible, but it's better safe than sorry. ('Course if you don't care about BC, it's a moot point.) This "+1 point of desperation" also puts it above the 360 because of the current 360's tendency to crap out (I'm on my 2nd screwed up 360 now). That's "-1 point of faulty faultiness". If you intended on getting both, by time you save up enough money to get a 360 after getting the PS3, the 360 should hopefully be o-k.

As for Software right now, I'd go with 360. If you like shooters even a little bit, there are a good chunk of great ones on the system. Some that the PS3 do not have yet, aside from the obvious exclusives. Since it has been out longer, there are a larger number of quality games on the system than are available on the PS3. Using Azar's Metacritic list as anecdotal evidence, PS3 has 37 games rated '80 and above', while the 360 has 84 games. Many of the games may not be to your liking, and a selection of the games in the list are download-only games, but the numbers are still there for your perusal. 360 simply has a higher number of quality games right now.

Online stuff: Xbox live is better in my opinion, but you do have to pay for it. PSN is ok for what it does right now and the price. I haven't been able to get into a good game of Resistance or Warhawk (thereby having wasted money on the game) to be able to comment properly but I've downloaded videos and demos of stuff from their (incredibly slow) service. I doubt the game connection thing is their fault, it's my geographic location and the quality of my home internet.

For me, reccomending a system to buy is a split. 360 has a clear, immediate software advantage, but the increasing rarity of a 'fully backwards compatible' PS3 and the potential (maybe inevitable) death of your 360 makes it difficult for me to wholeheartedly recommend the 360. So hopefully my opinions here will help you decide.
    Last edited by JKTrix; 12-05-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    I haven't been able to get into a good game of Resistance or Warhawk (thereby having wasted money on the game) to be able to comment properly but I've downloaded videos and demos of stuff from their (incredibly slow) service. I doubt the game connection thing is their fault, it's my geographic location and the quality of my home internet.
    I'd say the speed of your downloads must be a result of location/quality of your connection. I have my 60GB connected to our home wireless network, and I swear the thing downloads faster than my bloody laptop can usually manage 95% of the time. I also never have any lag in any game that I've played except Fight Night, though that could just be because of a poor porting job by EA (I doubt EA cutting corners would strike anyone as surprising).

As rumors say you can eventually start downloading games and demos for the ps3 console, but on the negative side, it can also couse harmful viruses into the ps3.

All i say is it all depends what type of games you enjoy playing

I'd recommend getting a PS3. Based solely on the fact that its future lineup is the strongest of all three consoles without question. Halo has already come and gone with the 360, and Mario and Zelda for the Wii. None of Sony's big hitters have been released yet, and while its definately clear that the 360 and Wii have stronger librarys as of now, it doesnt mean the PS3 has no games at all.

In terms of graphics, there both pretty identical as of now. Im going to say that the PS3 has the better graphic capabilities though. Ratchet & Clank was a taster of the things to come from the system. Im going to wager that FFXIII and God of War III are going to floor anything the 360 can do.

Heres my advice. Buy a PS3. Buy a copy of The Orange Box. Now wait till 2008 to come by. You'll thank me later.
    Last edited by Dreddz; 12-05-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Lol, good point he's got there.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by -=Squall-Leonhart=- View Post
    As rumors say you can eventually start downloading games and demos for the ps3 console, but on the negative side, it can also couse harmful viruses into the ps3.

All i say is it all depends what type of games you enjoy playing
    That's not a rumor, you can do that now. And you're not going to get a virus on your PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    As for rumble, the Dualshock 3 is only out in Japan right now. Some of the PS3's current software is already rumble compatible. Future software releases will likely have automatic system updates included on the disc.--
    I think you're mistaken. My controller is rumble compatible. I'll prove it after my disc with the software update comes in the mail. The lady I spoke to at Sony confirmed this with me. That as soon as I install the 2.0 software update, my controller will rumble. The controller is hardware.