Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Think FFVII...Is...Gone.

Default I Think FFVII...Is...Gone.

(No, I didn't lose my discs.)

I probably have a closer relationship with FFVII than any Final Fantasy or any other game out there. I remember vividly my experiences playing it as a very young child when it was first released. We were always at the beginning of the game because my brother couldn't figure out how to save and he could never beat the Scorpion boss so he had to beg our father to do it. I was very happy. I love this game.

But now,

I can't even play my beloved game anymore because my PS2 won't read the discs anymore. The game's not even being published anymore, and the mint ones that people sell usually go for well beyond $100. I'm not even sure that the PS3 I'm getting for Christmas will read it. I really wish they they would re-release the game in the U.S. I really don't feel like spending $200-250 just to play my favorite video game. It's not fair that I, or anyone else, should have to pay an exorbitant amount to play this game. For these reasons, I think Final Fantasy VII is slowly dying. I would be happy even with a remake if it meant I could continue playing Final Fantasy VII.

Does anyone else have similar issues?

No because I have two copies, plus I look after my games.

Plus if all else fails you can emulate it; PSX ROMs aren't so hard to come by these days plus you own the original so it won't be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    No because I have two copies, plus I look after my games.

Plus if all else fails you can emulate it; PSX ROMs aren't so hard to come by these days plus you own the original so it won't be illegal.
    I look after mine too. The game discs don't really have any scratches on them. I think it's my PS2.

How do I emulate?

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

If it's the disc read error you're getting with your FFVII disc, then there are ways to fix that but they involve opening up the PS2 itself. Otherwise as Psi said, I think emulating is legal if you own the game, though I'll let someone with more experience in emulating explain about it to you.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah, my brother's PS2 (actually mine, but he annexed the damn thing and didn't take care of it) does that same thing. MY PS2 still works fine though.

Just pick up an old PlayStation from your local secondhand shop or a friend. I bought my cousin's old PlayStation for $7.
    Last edited by Momiji; 12-09-2007 at 10:01 PM.

FFVII sells for about $40-$60 AUD on ebay (Australian dollars). + postage.
    Thanks to Sir Edeon X for signature
    "It's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define the person you are" - Teh_Masterer

It does sound like the laser on your PS2 is dying, not your game. Pick up a second hand one from an electronics shop; that's what I did.

Though give your disc a good clean as well. If they are scratched, some of the damage may be repaired. I think Blockbuster do this thing where they send off scratched CDs, games and DVDs and get them re-coated. That may help.

Buy yeah, it is likely to be the machine. (bleddy PS2s... The PS1 was far more robust...)

"I work in one of those humble call centres... Apparently, what we're doing at the moment is 'sprinkling our magic along the way'. It's a call centre, not Hogwarts." ~ Caroline Garlick, Ayrshire, BBC News Magazine

Second hand PS2 or laser? Can I just send it to someone and get if fixed? What if I get a new slim PS2? Would that solve the problem?

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Mine are in horrible condition, comes with having a brother who is 8 years younger than you and no concept of taking care of things. The point is, they still work wonders.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Hardly a dire situations. There are all sorts of ways you could fix the problems.

If your discs are messed up:
    1. Download PSX isos. Emulate on computer.
    2. Download PSX isos. Emulate on PS2.
    3. Download PC version.
    4. Go to used game places/pawn shops to find it cheap.
    5. Scour the internets to buy it cheap.

If your console is messed up:
    1. Buy new PS2.
    2. Buy used PS1.
    3. Send in PS2 for repair.
    4. Options 1 or 3 from above.

O Captain! My Captain! Spawn of Sephiroth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Second hand PS2 or laser? Can I just send it to someone and get if fixed? What if I get a new slim PS2? Would that solve the problem?
    I have a slim PS2 and my copy of Final Fantasy 7 works perfect, along with all my old original Playstation games, so that would work.

Loki: I have an army.
    Stark: We have a HULK!

Do what I've started doing since my PS2 started screwing up. Search PSXeven on google and find a place to download it (which is completely free). Once downloaded, open the file, put your game in the disk drive, and hit the play from CD button. Don't bother filling up your hard drive with ISO downloads.

Which FF Character Are You?

(SPOILER) This Signature STILL contains spoilers

I also have it twice and on the PC, my Playstation 2 is still going strong, strange though have you looked on Amazon for it(The Am erican version) you can get it new over here for about £15 or there abouts.

Sig created by the Genius that is Polaris

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Emulation is a suitable choice if you have a computer with at least 256 MB RAM and a GeForce 2, which I'm sure you do. Since FF VII's 3D graphics are so simple, even with such an obsolete computer you will only experience slowdowns when you cast Knights Of The Round.

Welcome to the official ePSXe website
    Here you can find one of the best PSX emulators around, along with extensive instructions. They also have a forum if you have any problems. For BIOS and plugins just use Google. Just make sure you use 1.5.2, NOT 1.6. The latest version doesn't work really well on Final Fantasy games.

I'll package it to you for Christmas. :wink:
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.