Thread: Wi-fi and ps3

Default Wi-fi and ps3

ok tomorrow i am going to buy me a ps3 and i have been doing my homework for the past month just to make sure i am getting my moneys worth. i love gaming and have been gaming for like 15 years and i am only 22. but im not very smart when it comes to the internet connection or anything like that. so my question is, if i have a wireless connection and the router is in my room i shouldnt have to use the ethernet cable to get connected to internet should i???

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

depends if the ps3 has wifi(like the ds), and you have an open router, so the ps3 can connect. however, an ethernet cable always has better connecting and bandwith, so its not bad to fall back on it if needed

ok well i do have an open connection through out the entire house and the ps3 does have wi fi or so thats what i read anyway. but what your saying is that having the wi fi is good in all but connecting with the ethernet will be better right???

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the bandwith of wifi is generally speaking slow and limited.. for dling and looking around on the ps3 network its okay.. but if you want to play multiplayer games online, it is better to connect it with a ethernet cable. a cable is more stable and gives a low ping(time between connections).. which is crusial in MP games

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Depends on the game, but low latency is usually the most important when playing first person shooters and the like. The speed of a wireless network isn't all that bad if you're the only one using it. Wired networks connections are of course always better.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    the bandwith of wifi is generally speaking slow and limited.. for dling and looking around on the ps3 network its okay.. but if you want to play multiplayer games online, it is better to connect it with a ethernet cable. a cable is more stable and gives a low ping(time between connections).. which is crusial in MP games
    The speed of your wifi connection will have more to do with your internet connection and the speed of your router. If you can play online games via a wireless connection on a PC connected to your wireless network, then I'd guess you should have no trouble with latency. I've never experienced any lag when playing online with my PS3 via our wireless network.

If you're in the same room as your router, it's definitely a better idea to just directly connect it because wireless connections suck balls.

thanks guys. i really appreciate all the info. you all have helped alot. i really looking foward the online gaming because i have never really had the chance to play online before. i played killzone once online right when that playstation 2 came out but that it.