Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maxing the PS3?

Default Maxing the PS3?

was just scanning the news page and came across this.

I'd assumed that FF13 was just going to further FF12's MMO style with the odd bit of "next-gen" flashiness, which I wasn't too interested in, but this sounds much more intriguing.

In addition, Nomura stated that the whopping 50 gigabytes of storage available on Blu-Ray, when combined with the technical horsepower of the console, will allow for the technical advancement from the last entry in the series, FFXII, to be as great as the jump from Final Fantasy VI on the SNES to Final Fantasy VII on the Playstation.
    Ancient as FF7 may look now, the jump from FF6's entirely 2d look to what were at the time jaw dropping visuals, particularly in battle, was a massive technical feat, not to mention semi-3d environments to explore.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea exactly what this could entail? What could Square possibly be throwing in to make it sound comparable to the 2d-3d switch?
    Last edited by Pure Strife; 12-14-2007 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Small spelling errors? Did we always need a reason?
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

I don't know but it's going to be ultimate. FF XIII is going to sell a lot of PS 3's next fall.
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

I'm sure it will be absolutely beautiful, but unless it's a fourth dimension Goddess I don't really see how it could be such a leap. It looks to me to just be a prettier version of what we saw on the Ps2, like most current gen titles. A little cleaner, a little shinier... Square likes to exaggerate

I hope that FFXIII dosen't max out the PS3. I would be so mad. Cause then the other games would either not be equally as good or just the same kind. I'm not saying that I liked FFXIII but if that maxed out the PS3 what would their be to look foward to with the other games besides storylines.

Thanks Polaris for the Awesome Avy and Sig!
    Beaten FF I,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VII CC,VII DC, VIII,IX,X,XII,XIII Dissidia Currently on I&X-2

^
    SE games look always much better then what the competition have. At least with RPGs.

I have noticed with the new FFXIII trailer how real time and CGI scenes flow so well and the action is amazing. We might expect CGI graphics a little from the gameplay. That would be so cool!

While the graphics in both games will no doubt be amazing, they wont be maxing the PS3 since the White Engine only uses 4 out of the 6 processors. Imagine what it would be like if it used all 6 processors!

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

It takes anywhere between 4-6 years to max out a console. No doubt here that FF XIII will look and play awesome, but max out the PS3? Two years into its lifecycle? Not gonna happen.

As an aside, I rarely buy it when companies tell me that "X" system is the only system that could possibly run "Y" game. Remember how there was no way that Resident Evil 4 could run on the PS2? Or how Oblivion wouldn’t run as well if it was ported to the PS3? How did those ‘certainties’ turn out?

Because nothing beats the sound of a million voices screaming in unison.

I think they're just trying to build hype. :P

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I think they could why not!? I would love to see it happen and it'll prove just how great traditional style RPGs are.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I dont think they mean it will be the end-all capacity display of the ps3. I believe they mean it will be the first game to really show what the system is capable of, much like FFX on ps2 and FFVII on ps1.

Only Team-Ico can max the PS3.

FFXIII/versus will sure look amazing though.

It's easy as hell to max out the ps3.

You make a sphere in favorite 3d software, you meshsmooth it until your computer starts chrashing and then you give it some very high res reflections + some killer light.

If we however are talking about optimizing that will never be done %100 as that is impossible... There is always something you can optimize more.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Strife View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea exactly what this could entail? What could Square possibly be throwing in to make it sound comparable to the 2d-3d switch?
    I think quotations like that are spoken mainly for promotional or public relations purposes; however, at the same time, technology has progressed rapidly and allows developers to utilize graphical compression to its fullest and provide much more content on a single disc than ever before.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercry View Post
    It takes anywhere between 4-6 years to max out a console. No doubt here that FF XIII will look and play awesome, but max out the PS3? Two years into its lifecycle? Not gonna happen.

As an aside, I rarely buy it when companies tell me that "X" system is the only system that could possibly run "Y" game. Remember how there was no way that Resident Evil 4 could run on the PS2? Or how Oblivion wouldn’t run as well if it was ported to the PS3? How did those ‘certainties’ turn out?
    Square Enix is the Sony's favourite taste. I could tell that Sony has been giving info to SE about how to max out FF13

FF13 is sorely the reason why I'm buying PS3 soon.

I think it might.
    I dont understand why it takes 4-6 years to make out a system, though. I mean, why can't they just... put as must as it can take in one game? Why does it take years to max it out? That makes no sense... Explain please