Thread: Third-party accessories

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Third-party accessories

I've been looking for a new Dual Shock to replace my PS2 controller (which got messed up because of my room mate's misunderstanding of my "yeah you can borrow it" policy not extending to him letting other people borrow it without me knowing and not giving it back for a week), and first party controllers are, obviously, expensive. And most third-party ones suck - though not all.

I used to have a third-party controller for the PS1 that was amazing. It had rubber grips on the bottom, a turbo button, and everything just felt good when you played with it. Unfortunately I let someone borrow it that never got it back to me. I need to stop being so liberal with my lending.

However this past summer when Allie's dog chewed up her Sony-brand dual shock and we got a third-party replacement to save a few bucks, it was bad. Buttons stuck, the cord was short, definitely not worth what little we saved on it.

So what's your experience with third-party peripherals? Is it a recent trend that everything third party sucks so hard? And, also, do you have any suggestions for a cheap-but-good third party Dual Shock 2 controller?

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Wireless or non? I have an awesome wireless mini controller from...uh...Someone, I'll get back to you on that and it works wonderful. they have a wire version of it too, the cord's really long, so it should be exactly what you want it was only 10$. I'll jump up right after I post this to go get the name.

Mad Catz

Blog Entries

I've had little experiences with third party controllers, as I've very rarely used third party controllers with games. However, there was one we used a load. It was an ASCII Turbo Pad for the SNES, and it had all these switches all over it for Turbos. One of them still works perfectly, and we got it used, whenever we got it.

As for the N64, well, obviously we had 3rd Parties for that. I had a Myiico Brand N64 controller, and it sucked majorly. The Z Button was grand, sure, but the Analog Stick gave way too darned quick. It made beating Ocarina of Time a pain in the butt after the first 5 minutes. But, there was one controller for the N64 that was pretty nice, and most people would agree with me that it's the Power Pad, whose Analog Stick is indestructible, but the Z Button is annoying. If you hear my controller rattle, it's because the Z Button is inside it.

I don't know how to help you with your PS2 Controller Problem. All the third parties I've seen at my friend's house are falling to bits, and I've never used a 3rd Party controller on my PS2, except for a Gamestop Brand, which works pretty darned well still. But we've only had it for a little bit, so we don't know if it's bad or not.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu View Post
    So what's your experience with third-party peripherals? Is it a recent trend that everything third party sucks so hard? And, also, do you have any suggestions for a cheap-but-good third party Dual Shock 2 controller?
    Third party controllers have always sucked, whether they're poorly made now, or were frying controller ports in the PSX/N64 days. Personally, I've always preferred to spend a little more and get the first party controllers, especially with Sony consoles since they're some of the best made controllers going. So long story short I guess, I don't have any suggestions for third party controllers.

Yeah, 1st party is really the only way to go with Controllers.

PS: Mad Catz Sucks. Hard. And Long.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I've had this controller for two years and the only problem I've had with it is I forget to turn it off and I drain all the batteries.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

third party sucks.. but i did order a modified case for my xbox 360 wireless controller.. with LEDs and silk smooth black surface.. it is awsome

What I've Done... The Amazing Spiderman's Avatar

I had this NAKI Minicon PS2 controller that came with my Spiderman 2 game, both of them new.

The controller was awesome. The small size was great for fighting games, but at the fourth month, the left analog stick suddenly breaks up while I'm playing. =/

Other than that controller, I had a Pelican Memory Card for my PSX. It never failed me, thought.
    FFT Class Reviews:

Lancer - Monk - Ninja - Bard

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Don't buy MadCatz stuff. It's often faulty after a month or less.

We have a wireless Pelican XBox controller, though. It's pretty good, but the batteries drain quickly.

Well, I have two MadCatz controllers (one for PS1, other for PS2) both are awesome, but I take care of them. I have a wireless Logitech controller for my PS2, now it is the best and the one I use most, and a fourth (Game Element). It is really big, but it sits unbelieavable well in my hands, when I run off batteries, I use it. I also have two original controllers, but I use them to play with my friends.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've heard good things about the Logitech wireless controllers though they're kind of expensive compared to normal controllers.

I've heard good things about the Logitech wireless controllers though they're kind of expensive compared to normal controllers.
    Well, the price when I got it was just $25, but they are excellent, have a good reaction time, and the batteries can last 50 hours with the vibration active all the time .

My MadCatz controller works fine, other than the sticking buttons, but that can be attributed to long hours of GHing on a normal controller and R2 intensive games. I've got a couple special edition Star wars controllers, no idea the brand but I've had em for 3 years and they still work fine, other than the left joy stick and the up button on the Vader one.

Well yes, Madcatz isn't always going to be faulty.

However many more of them are then others, so buying one you have a higher chance of getting a crap controller.

I LOVE those things. You get one now.