View Poll Results: Do video game reviews influence what games you buy yes or no?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

16 55.17%
  • No.

13 44.83%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Reviews...

Default Video Game Reviews...

Do video game reviews influence what video games you buy?

For me the answer is yes because I don't rent games anymore...so unless I buy a game I have no idea whether it's going to be good or bad.

I take the video game reviews at face value because they played those games so they must know whether they're good or bad.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

same here.. but sometimes i would get it anyways cause its a matter of taste..

i think money is more important

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Not really. I will have different tastes from the person who wrote the game review, not to mention, if they dislike the game, they will have a horrible bias against it, omitting the better parts of the game, and only highlighting the bad parts.

Not that I look at VG reviews. I just buy games if I think they'll be good. No game I've got so far has disappointed me too greatly.

I have read very few game reviews I agree with, since they're generally very sugary and gloss over the negatives - Gamespot in particular. I just don't read them, so no.

In my opinion, to create your own opinion, it's important not to subject yourself to someone else's too much.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I mostly buy games based on what I myself prefer. A few franchises that I've followed direct alot of my purchases, as do things that seem to just interest me.

One review isn't a good way to judge a game's worth, but if a game is receiving overwhelming support, that's usually a good indicator of it being pretty good.

Unless it's Edge or games then I don't trust their reviews. These two magazines are usually pretty accurate on what is and isn't a good game. Other than that, I don't trust reviews and prefer to try it for myself.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Yes, because people who play videogames and write about them might actually know what they're talking about! I read the opinions, see what they mention is good and bad, and then decide if it's worth shelling out a lot of money for.

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Yes, because people who play videogames and write about them might actually know what they're talking about! I read the opinions, see what they mention is good and bad, and then decide if it's worth shelling out a lot of money for.
    Yes.

I would also like to add that I think the opinion of someone who plays games nonstop all day for a living is worth more than the opinion of someone who only plays games they think they'll like. :P

I buy games before I look at reviews. The reason why I usually buy games is because they look interesting, and then I'll see whether it has an interesting plot or not. If it looks appealing to me, then I'll buy it. I like to look at the reviews afterward to see whether someone's idea conflicts with mine.

There are some franchises that i have a blind faith on them and i follow them no matter what the reviewers say.Same goes for a couple developers.

Having said that,i find reviews very helpful for games or developing teams that i'm not very familiar with.I trust reviews from Edge,Games and RPGFan.Although i have to say that some times Edge is getting a bit too hard on some games...

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Agreed. But I never limit myself to a single review since that would be ridiculous. I look at several reviews at least, usually ignoring a number score since people seem hesitant to give lower than a 7 unless a game really, really deserves it. Usually if you read a review you can get a good sense of what the pros and cons are, even if you have to read between the lines a bit sometimes. If I see common themes and complaints among several reviews, then it's safe to say said complaint is an actual problem with the game.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes. I would have bought Empire Earth III without a second's hesitation until I saw the reviews. It's universally acclaimed as dire, why would I spend the money? Yes, they MIGHT all be wrong, but it's not terribly likely, and it makes sense to put the money into a game which is widely lauded. If just one person says something's good, I'm not terribly likely to listen. If thirty different reviewers say it, I'll probably pay attention.

Is it the only factor? Absolutely not. For example I'm unlikely to ever buy a soccer game on release day, no matter how universal the accolades. And I know they don't always say things I agree with, nor do games always get the scores I agree with. But to suggest that I am in no way influenced by reviews would be silly and untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Yes. I would have bought Empire Earth III without a second's hesitation until I saw the reviews. It's universally acclaimed as dire, why would I spend the money? Yes, they MIGHT all be wrong, but it's not terribly likely, and it makes sense to put the money into a game which is widely lauded. If just one person says something's good, I'm not terribly likely to listen. If thirty different reviewers say it, I'll probably pay attention.

Is it the only factor? Absolutely not. For example I'm unlikely to ever buy a soccer game on release day, no matter how universal the accolades. And I know they don't always say things I agree with, nor do games always get the scores I agree with. But to suggest that I am in no way influenced by reviews would be silly and untrue.
    In my experience, after reading several reviews of the same games, I find there are a lot of copy-cat reviewers though, who practically plagiarize one review to quickly boost the contents of their respective sites, so there's a good chance those "thirty reviews" aren't really thirty different points of view.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I read them to get an idea of the game, but not as an end-all be-all guide to what I play.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post

In my experience, after reading several reviews of the same games, I find there are a lot of copy-cat reviewers though, who practically plagiarize one review to quickly boost the contents of their respective sites, so there's a good chance those "thirty reviews" aren't really thirty different points of view.
    I have not discovered this in any way.